Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Swans reserves to join VFL as a stand alone outfit

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbo View Post
    Based on results in the Canberra GF, we would get slaughtered in the VFL.

But we should still move there nonetheless.
    How on earth do you deduce that a team that hasn't lost a game for 3 seasons and finished with a percentage of over 400% is going to get slaughtered if it moves up a level?

I am not suggesting that they are going to dominate the way they currently do but maybe we should at least let them have a go - if it eventuates - before condemning their chances.

If you are basing it on the relative closeness of today's game, as Ugg has pointed out, it was barely a 50% Swans listed team. Most of our youngsters with even some senior experience who would have been eligible were missing - LRT, Jack, Schmidt, Laidlaw, Moore, Doyle, Phillips - which left just Grundy, Vogels and Barlow as having had even a glimpse. Most of those missing have been the core of the team that has driven them to where they've got to, so to have them all missing and play with 10 U18 top-ups, none of whom (Bird apart) represents anything like the elite of U18 players, was quite an achievement. Apart from Rowe and Shaw, who both came off injured, and Brabzon and Thornton who came off for very short spells after being poleaxed (deliberately and hard) by opponents, none of the listed guys had any rest time during the game at all.

I noticed that Allison was very non-committal in his post-match acceptance comments about them fronting up in the ACTAFL next year. I hadn't seen the updates to this thread (ie confirmation that the Swans have put in a request) but his vagueness made me wonder if something was afoot.

Had no idea about the amount of "top-ups" playing.

But I still think we would struggle in the VFL, it's 500% stronger (at least) than the Canberra amateurs.

Senior Player
    I think at first we might struggle, only a little. Say the first few rounds.

But once they get up to speed, I think you'll see a huge improvement. I think our 2nds may be better than we think.

None of come into the senior side and embarrassed themselves like players over the years have. And we dealt okay when we had half our defense missing and our midfield performing very poorly.

They play to the standard that is required for the league. The improvement from placing them in a harder comp would be astonishing I reckon....

Most of them have very good first games, because the opposition teams have NO RESPECT for our kids. Grundy, Laidlaw (only one), Barlow, Jack, Schimidt etc all had pretty good first games. It is a requirement, and will enable us to get these kids properly prepared.

The restaurant at the end of the universe
    Had no idea about the amount of "top-ups" playing.

But I still think we would struggle in the VFL, it's 500% stronger (at least) than the Canberra amateurs.
    I'm not at all concerned about the struggle if this idea comes to fruition.

I find it frustrating that our kids dont get the opportunity to come on as quickly as they otherwise may do in a stronger competition.

I want to see for myself if the kids are putting pressure on the senior group.

I want to go to the footy every week!!!

Bring it on!!
    We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

Based on results in the Canberra GF, we would get slaughtered in the VFL.

But we should still move there nonetheless.
    We only had 10 Swans players as the rest were in the coaching box or getting ready for 2008...Geelong had 18 plus a top tier VFL professional (best and fairest winner 2007) as captain. If you think a team with 18 Swans reserves (including Scmidt, Moore, Laidlaw, Dempster, Vogels, Grundy) would not give Geelong reserves a good game you are nuts.....
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    You can't be serious.

It sounds like the opportunity to field a stand-alone team coached by Swans coaches overrides all other considerations including the standard of the competition - and presumably cost is also a factor.

The Swans may also be under pressure to stay in Canberra (From AFL NSW/ACT and AFL) for game development purposes. Returning to the VFL would be a backward step in growing the game in NSW.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by hammo View Post
    The Swans may also be under pressure to stay in Canberra (From AFL NSW/ACT and AFL) for game development purposes. Returning to the VFL would be a backward step in growing the game in NSW.
    I don't have any doubt that the AFL will want the Swans reserves competing out of Victoria; they would probably be more open to a move North than a move South.

ROLLLLLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!!!! Glenn's Avatar
    Why should the Swans be held accountable for developing the game in NSW, that is the job of the NSW/ACTAFL.
    Would have thought, being part of a more viable reserves competition and providing a better pathway from the reserves to the seniors would have been a more higher priority.
    The lack of a competitive reserves competition is going to be the greatest deterent to young players that are thinking about coming to Sydney, where are they going to get the best chance to develop their skills?
    Premiers 09,18,33,05

"You Irish Twit", Quote attributed to a RWO member who shall remain nameless.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    The lack of a competitive reserves competition is going to be the greatest deterent to young players that are thinking about coming to Sydney, where are they going to get the best chance to develop their skills?
    That's why there is a draft
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Why should the Swans be held accountable for developing the game in NSW, that is the job of the NSW/ACTAFL.
    Would have thought, being part of a more viable reserves competition and providing a better pathway from the reserves to the seniors would have been a more higher priority.
    Because the AFL give us extra money every year to help to develop/promote the game in NSW/ACT. Brisvegas get extra money as well. (Probably the kangas too if they permanently move to the Gold Coast.)
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast