Thread: Swans' national draft picks

Swans' national draft picks

... all 2 of 'em.

I'll leave talking about the raw youngsters, and get on to the exciting topic of the dumped retreads.

At this stage, the only one we'd seriously look at is the Clones' 20 year old Darren Pfeiffer, surprisingly dumped by them today along with the usual cavalcade of overaged fringe players and speculative rookie promotions.

Colin Wiseby's scarily over-detailed review of Pfeiffer as a player is halfway down the page here (posted by Wayne's-World). Since 2005 when he was drafted at pick 17, his footy has gotten consistently better, even though he hasn't yet cracked it for an AFL debut. In short: this guy is the post-Williams outside runner that we need, with a little bit of Ryan O'Keefe thrown in too (is a very good mark for his size).

I can only imagine that Adelaide delisted him purely for off-field issues-- in 2006 he was sent back to SANFL club Norwood for a time for failing punctuality requirements, then had a late start to 2007 when he was king-hit in a pub (the club said he was blameless in the incident), and in late 2007 had a further one-game suspension imposed for a curfew breach.

I have absolutely no idea of why he wasn't traded, as it's inconceivable he wouldn't have value. Clearly needs a bit of dragging into line, but I don't know if he'd breach the often-bent 'no dickheads' policy. It's not like he's Laurence Angwin, and a bit of tough love in a new city would be about all he needs. We could doubtless get a nicer, more pleasant kid to introduce to the grandparents for pick 26... but I'd be very surprised if we could get a better player.

Daniel McConnell.

If I hear the words "project player" I think I will puke.

Suspended by the MRP
    I hope we pick up Cyril Rioli

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Its an interesting option Simon, the Crows BF board is apoplectic that he was delisted. Perhaps an option on the rookie list?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    ... all 2 of 'em.

I'll leave talking about the raw youngsters, and get on to the exciting topic of the dumped retreads.

At this stage, the only one we'd seriously look at is the Clones' 20 year old Darren Pfeiffer, surprisingly dumped by them today along with the usual cavalcade of overaged fringe players and speculative rookie promotions.

Colin Wiseby's scarily over-detailed review of Pfeiffer as a player is halfway down the page here (posted by Wayne's-World). Since 2005 when he was drafted at pick 17, his footy has gotten consistently better, even though he hasn't yet cracked it for an AFL debut. In short: this guy is the post-Williams outside runner that we need, with a little bit of Ryan O'Keefe thrown in too (is a very good mark for his size).

I can only imagine that Adelaide delisted him purely for off-field issues-- in 2006 he was sent back to SANFL club Norwood for a time for failing punctuality requirements, then had a late start to 2007 when he was king-hit in a pub (the club said he was blameless in the incident), and in late 2007 had a further one-game suspension imposed for a curfew breach.

I have absolutely no idea of why he wasn't traded, as it's inconceivable he wouldn't have value. Clearly needs a bit of dragging into line, but I don't know if he'd breach the often-bent 'no dickheads' policy. It's not like he's Laurence Angwin, and a bit of tough love in a new city would be about all he needs. We could doubtless get a nicer, more pleasant kid to introduce to the grandparents for pick 26... but I'd be very surprised if we could get a better player.
    Sounds like he needs some mega doses of vitamin B12 to settle him down. With all the research that goes on at the Swans they should surely know that works. Does he get the minimum 8-10 hours sleep for optimum performance, and I don't mean in the bedroom.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Footylover1 View Post
    I hope we pick up Cyril Rioli
    Can anyone tell me the last player with the name of Cyril who was a top player.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Or Henry for that matter.

Cyril Suk.

Won multiple mixed double grand slams in the 90's with his sister, Helena Sukova and the US Open Mens doubles with Sandon Stolle.

Someone needed to tell him that he should have gone with his sister and called himself Cyril Sukova. At least she was smart enough not to be wanted to be called Helena Suk.

What's that, footy player with the name Cyril, sorry.

Wasn't one of the Riolis named Cyril?

Don't know much about him, but Cyril Gambetta played for StKilda in between the wars and made the 'Italian Team of the Century'.

That would be a better question, how many Italians named Cyril