Thread: Tassie Devils in the VFL and Cressa

On the Rookie List

Tassie Devils in the VFL and Cressa

My sister in law sent me this email yesterday telling me about the Devils win on the weekend.

"...thought I'd send you some good news in a week where the news has been all....well not so good regarding BBB of the Red and Whites, also knowing how much you like Daryn Cressell.

I was working at Bellerive Oval on the weekend and saw the second half of the VFL match between Tassie Devils and the current Premiers Geelong. As you probably are aware Cresa is the Coach of the Tassie Devils and has been for the last 2 years and they have had a terrible time not winning since about round 7 last year. On Saturday they played really well and beat the Current Premiers Geelong by 25 points. They ran all over them. So far they have lost their first game by 2 points, beaten the box hill hawks and beaten geelong. We are going well thanks to the 2 long hard years that Cresa has put in. He has had to come in and end the alliance with the Kangaroos and get the players all moved to Hobart as they were previously living all over the state. He has had to sack players and deal with huge management issues. For a time no one I talked to either liked him or thought he would last the distance. So with a history like that it is a great win to savour. Well done to Cresa.

I have attached the article from the Mercury so you can enjoy the moment with Cresa too. We got to sing the team song for the first time in almost a year.

Devils find the passion
    Article from: MERCURY
    By JAMES BRESNEHAN

April 13, 2008 12:00am

THE Tasmanian Devils blew reigning premier Geelong out of the water at Bellerive with a run-and-stun game that could take them all the way to the VFL finals.

The super-fit Devils played their best footy in three seasons as they left the Cats in the dust, surging home to win a spellbinding contest 18.17 (125) to 15.10 (100).

The Devils jumped out of the blocks, but led by only two points after the first quarter, trailed by seven at half-time, and led again by nine at the final change.

The reborn spirit of the side was exemplified in the opening seconds of the final quarter when defender Cameron Thurley was felled by a cheap shot.

It sparked a Devils powerplay -- they kicked three goals in three minutes and four of the next five to take a firm grip on the match.

"That was one of the most courageous acts you'll ever see on a footy field," coach Daryn Cresswell said amid post-match celebrations.

"To run back with the flight of the ball, not knowing what's coming the other way, and to wear a big knock like he did, that lifted everyone."

When new Devils full-forward Tim Bongetti kicked his fourth goal at the 23-minute mark of the final quarter, the Cats were skinned.

Even Cresswell, not easily impressed, loved every second of it.

"They were outstanding," he said. "We've really developed that spirit and passion that's been missing for some time, probably two years. You can see it's back."

Geelong fielded 17 AFL-listed players against Tasmania.

But the Devils' own AFL-style play of hard-running, stellar skills and high level of fitness allowed them to fight fire with fire.

The midfield was superb, led by workaholic rover Ben Setchell, who racked up a career-best 44 possessions.

He combined well with Nathan Street, who will remember his 100th VFL game not only as a great victory but for an outstanding individual contribution of 29 possessions.

The relentless running in the midfield rotation was sustained by Paul Koulouriotis, who harvested 32 possessions, and Rhys Long, who had 28 grabs in his best VFL game to date.

Thurley, the general down back, played a sensational match with 38 possessions.

Devils supporters can doff their caps to the entire backline -- particularly Brennan Savage, who walked off bandaged and bloodied from his efforts, Kane Richter for commitment personified, and tough guy Justin Hardy.

Bongetti bounced back from a solitary handpass last week to be the team's leading goalkicker with four.

Midfielder-cum-forward James Charlesworth made a big impact with his 16 possessions, which included three goals and an absolute blinder from the boundary.

The Devils take on Northern Bullants at in Melbourne on Saturday.
    Run2Live,Live2Run

Yeah I knew that, it was live on the ABC on saturday arvo.
    Does God believe in Atheists?