Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why doesnt Sydney get Friday night games?

Why doesnt Sydney get Friday night games?

as the title says.. I havent seen sydney play a friday night game for years... ?

Veteran Site Admin
    We played one as recently as 2006. And two in 2005 and one in 2004 too.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Are you referring to finals? I dont recall any home and away Friday night games.
    Occupational hazards:
    I don't eat animals since discovering this ability. I used to. But one day the lamb I was eating came through to me and ever since then I haven't been able to eat meat.
    - animal psychic Amanda de Warren

ROLLLLLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!!!! Glenn's Avatar
    A combination of factors, the AFL don't want to be going against the NRL in Primetime Friday night in Sydney.
    Also FNF is seen as the highest rating program for the AFL, in terms of viewer numbers and sponsors revenue, would they still be able to get that with Sydney?
    Premiers 09,18,33,05

"You Irish Twit", Quote attributed to a RWO member who shall remain nameless.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Yep all finals, none home/away. The reason is AFL want ever game in NSW to have the swans live. They wouldn't dare put it on Friday night against an NRL game.

None of those are the reasons

The Swans did a supporter survey around five years ago. Swans supporter overwhelmingly nominated a preference for Sunday afternoon games if not,the preference was Saturday night. Supporters in the survey overwhelmingly hated Friday night games. Since then Sydney has only requested Sunday and Saturday night games.

Shows how many people read Swans News
    You don't ban those who supported your opponent, you make them wallow in their loserdom by covering your victory! You sit them in the front row. You give them a hat! Toby Ziegler

Yarraville, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by bloods2005 View Post
    as the title says.. I havent seen sydney play a friday night game for years... ?
    No live telecast into Sydney mate.

Plus they know what an absolute nightmare getting to the SCG through the peak hour South Dowling St/Anzac Parade traffic is. People don't get in until quarter time at times.

JF
    "Never ever ever state that Sydney is gone.They are like cockroaches in the aftermath of a nuclear war"
    (Forum poster 'Change', Big Footy 04Apr09)

Quote Originally Posted by Reggi View Post

The Swans did a supporter survey around five years ago. Swans supporter overwhelmingly nominated a preference for Sunday afternoon games if not,the preference was Saturday night. Supporters in the survey overwhelmingly hated Friday night games. Since then Sydney has only requested Sunday and Saturday night games.

... shows how many people believe that you actually do get results after submitting a survey!!!

Seriously, in NSW, Ch9 play two thugby league games on a Friday night back-to-back. There's NO WAY a non-final AFL game will be watched by the greater majority in Sydney on a Friday night.

Believe me, it's all about $$'s and ratings.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Since then Sydney has only requested Sunday and Saturday night games.

So you are saying that the Swans get every fixture request they want? IMO I don't think a Sydney supporters survey would hold much weight at AFL headquarters in regards to the fixture.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Living in 2005
    I personally think one blockbuster a year at ANZ should be on Friday Night.

I realise our family orientated fans prefer Sunday and Saturday night can be logitiscally better for fans and also a better fit for FTA TV, but Friday night brings out work groups and the like and really does have a great ability to introduce a lot of new fans who attend with workmates out of curiosity.

A 7.40pm Friday match at ANZ would do very well.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    So you are saying that the Swans get every fixture request they want? IMO I don't think a Sydney supporters survey would hold much weight at AFL headquarters in regards to the fixture.
    No but our request is no Friday night games
    You don't ban those who supported your opponent, you make them wallow in their loserdom by covering your victory! You sit them in the front row. You give them a hat! Toby Ziegler

Living in 2005
    No but our request is no Friday night games
    I thought the Swans in 2007 (not sure about this year) actually requested one Friday Night game?

I am too lazy to look up where, but I remember in a recent year, we did request one game on a Friday Night.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast