Thread: Picken Oval - Back to the Future

Almost Football Legend

Picken Oval - Back to the Future

To BeeEmmAre, Jacks and anyone else here involved with the TV coverage, I really enjoyed watching the telecast this week - definately one for the history books with Picken Oval hosting its first match for many years; and the third-quarter interview with the Wests diehard (whose name I've unfortunately forgotten already) was great viewing.

On the telecast, it was suggested the return to Picken Oval could be a permanent move for the Magpies. It looked interesting on TV - I've never seen a game on the ground before, but I'm hoping to check it out on Sunday. The closeness to the club for after-match drinkies is a definate selling point.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Norris Lurker View Post
    To BeeEmmAre, Jacks and anyone else here involved with the TV coverage, I really enjoyed watching the telecast this week - definately one for the history books with Picken Oval hosting its first match for many years; and the third-quarter interview with the Wests diehard (whose name I've unfortunately forgotten already) was great viewing.

On the telecast, it was suggested the return to Picken Oval could be a permanent move for the Magpies. It looked interesting on TV - I've never seen a game on the ground before, but I'm hoping to check it out on Sunday. The closeness to the club for after-match drinkies is a definate selling point.
    Looking at the draw Brendan, I think they've pretty much moved all their home games to Picken for this year already and they have switched training to Picken this year as well, they are certainly there this Sunday again against the SydneyUni.
    The tightness of the viewing area actually improves the atmosphere rather than having the crowd spread out so much.
    There are plans to fence the ground back in, scoreboard, seating etc., which won't happen overnight (the new changerooms coming in a year after they were expected) but I'm sure that will improve the ground over the coming years.
    I saw the last half on Sat., didn't even realise the digisports guys were there.

Edit : A good looking photo gallery from the day here courtesy of the local rag :

http://extras.nlcn.com.au/photogalle...ry.php?id=1605
    Last edited by floppinab; 8th May 2008 at 11:09 AM.

Commentary Team Captain BeeEmmAre's Avatar
    Yes Wests are at Picken Oval full time again now, and part of the 60th anniversary celebrations on the weekend were discussing upgrades.
    With the footy club being there, it makes perfect sense to play there.
    "It's up to the rest of the players in the room to make a new batch of premiership players next year," Adam Goodes, triple Bob Skilton Medallist, October 7, 2011.

YOU BETCHA!!!!!!

Almost Football Legend
    Had a family lunch today, but then dropped in at Picken this afternoon and caught the end of the Wests v Sydney Uni game.
    It's a very basic, no-frills ground, and doesn't have a boundary fence; but it had a bigger crowd than I've seen at most grounds and plenty of noise. Very exciting finish too which helped - I took a few pics which I'll put in this week's acticle.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty