Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Qualifying Final 2005

bloody oath bloods2005, lets just hope it says Swans 2008 premiers as well (you just never know!)

On the wing
    Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Hill View Post
    Can someone tell me the name of the Eagles player who was standing on the mark and faked being hit by Leaping Leo in the last quarter of the final at Subi in 2005. The ball was taken off us, given to them, they got a goal - the decision cost us the game and would have cost a lesser team the Premiership. I only saw the incident once on a news program the next day and, amazingly, the 2005 Highlights DVD doesn't include the incident.
    How could you forget? I refer to it in nearly every discussion I have with WCE supporters as "The Stenglein Decision" as an example of appallingly bad umpiring. (The ump was dropped from the the rest of the finals).

A free that has never been paid before or paid since.

At that game SS were 14 or 15 points in front in the last quarter. LRT had a brain fade and short-chipped one to Hunter who goaled and then the "Stenglein" decision. The whole momentum of the game changed to WCE's favour. More annoying Adam Goodes was tripped by Wirrpanda in the last few minutes while running to goal. An obvious free - but no way would it get paid in front of the howling parochial mob at Subi.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12