Thread: Swans' fantastic four??

Veteran Site Admin

Swans' fantastic four??

Not quite sure what Tugwell was on when she came up with this. Presumably it is not Kennelly himself who labelled them as the four "superstars".

TADHG Kennelly says the Swans are building a bulletproof belief as they prepare to take on St Kilda tonight with their four superstar players in the lineup together for the first time this season.
    Yes, these four are very good players. Maybe better than very good, some of them. But how can you separate them from Bolton, Kirk and O'Keefe? A closer truth is that we have a core of a Magnificent Seven who we need to keep on the park and playing well if we're to challenge this year. (Plus we need Jolly to keep going too.)

Fantastic Four back together | The Daily Telegraph

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Not quite sure what Tugwell was on when she came up with this. Presumably it is not Kennelly himself who labelled them as the four "superstars".

Yes, these four are very good players. Maybe better than very good, some of them. But how can you separate them from Bolton, Kirk and O'Keefe? A closer truth is that we have a core of a Magnificent Seven who we need to keep on the park and playing well if we're to challenge this year. (Plus we need Jolly to keep going too.)

Hmmn, just looking for an angle for a story and noticed that these 4 have not played together this year? though Goodes has not been to blame (through a bit of luck). I certainly would not label Malceski a "superstar" yet. He has a nice kick and finds space and I love watching him play but he is not in that class yet.

I think you are right Liz about the top 7 or 8, but I as ever I think it is the next 7 or 8 that we need firing to win it. Blokes like Leo, Buchanon, McVeigh, Ablett, MOL and Ted need to be playing near their best each week too.

I am quietly confident about our prospects this year but have concerns about where we are because of our odd draw. It's not that it is an easy one,it's just difficult to get any sort of benchmark.

PS: Tadhg did consider himself on a par with McLeod, so maybe he did say that?

I agree. I'd also add MOL to that list. His performance in Halls absence has been superb.
    Occupational hazards:
    I don't eat animals since discovering this ability. I used to. But one day the lamb I was eating came through to me and ever since then I haven't been able to eat meat.
    - animal psychic Amanda de Warren

"Magnificent 7 + Jolly" has a nice ring to it doesn't it?

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by ROK Lobster View Post
    Hmmn, just looking for an angle for a story and noticed that these 4 have not played together this year? though Goodes has not been to blame (through a bit of luck). I certainly would not label Malceski a "superstar" yet. He has a nice kick and finds space and I love watching him play but he is not in that class yet.

I think you are right Liz about the top 7 or 8, but I as ever I think it is the next 7 or 8 that we need firing to win it. Blokes like Leo, Buchanon, McVeigh, Ablett, MOL and Ted need to be playing near their best each week too.

I am quietly confident about our prospects this year but have concerns about where we are because of our odd draw. It's not that it is an easy one,it's just difficult to get any sort of benchmark.

PS: Tadhg did consider himself on a par with McLeod, so maybe he did say that?
    I'd understand it if it were just the trhee that have been missing a bit, and commenting on how good it will be to have them all. Throwing Mr" I Haven't Missed a Game for Over 200 (Though I'm a Tad Lucky to Be Playing This Weekend)" in there just confuses it.

On whether Malceski belongs in the top 7, I have no doubt he does. To me those are our 7 AA or Dream Team Game calibre players. Don't forget that Malceski was in the AA squad of 40 last season and probably only missed the final cut by a whisker. If he'd not done a knee I have little doubt he'd have been in the Vic squad earlier this year.

We have 3 other ex-AAs in Spida, MickyO and Leo but they're not going to get back to that level before they retire. And other than the very young players, for whom it is too early to tell, I can't see anyone else in our current team elevating themselves to that level during their careers (maybe McVeigh and MartyM are two "possibles").

So those 7 do form a clear standout group to me.

I agree with your point that those 7 can't do it on their own. And other players are important in their own right. But I still reckon these 7 are the key. Others could come in from outside the current 22 and make up for the absence of most of the rest but none could replace these 7 and keep the team close to its best.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    I thought it was the Famous Five.

Commentary Team Captain BeeEmmAre's Avatar
    More like the Terrific 22
    "It's up to the rest of the players in the room to make a new batch of premiership players next year," Adam Goodes, triple Bob Skilton Medallist, October 7, 2011.

YOU BETCHA!!!!!!