Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Tonight's Umpiring

Those cardboard loudspeakers certainly came in handy when screaming "@@@@-ing useless maggot" every five seconds.

I think the game would be a much better game if there were no maggots at all.

Men in the white coats behind the goals only.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Ablett's kick looked like a goal.

I actually think the umpiring in the first quarter got us into the game - the crowd got vocal and the team lifted.

It was bad, and the Cats certainly needed no help to dispatch with us.
    He ate more cheese, than time allowed

The umpiring was an absolute disgrace. Most on this thread are being gracious and saying that it didn't affect the result, but when 5 of the first 7 goals were from frees, who's to say it didn't? We fought back brilliantly in the 1st quarter and were still 3 goals down thanks to the men in yellow. The mate I was with made the call that the umpires, especially Kennedy, were star struck by Geelong and I think he was spot on. It was game over after all those early frees, with the 50M being the worst of them.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    saying that it didn't affect the result, but when 5 of the first 7 goals were from frees, who's to say it didn't?
    Umpiring around the ground was poor, but 4 of those frees resulting in goals didn't seem overly controversial.

Senior Player
    The problem on saturday night appeared to be that the umpires made different decisions for different teams.

It was okay for Geelong to hold on, take players out and get tackled with having had opportunity... but not for the Swans.

I can accept umpiring when it is bad but consistent. I cannot accept it when it is bad and inconsistent to one team.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMase View Post
    The problem on saturday night appeared to be that the umpires made different decisions for different teams.

It was okay for Geelong to hold on, take players out and get tackled with having had opportunity... but not for the Swans.

I can accept umpiring when it is bad but consistent. I cannot accept it when it is bad and inconsistent to one team.
    Yeh, I agree - the early goals were mainly for justifiable (if soft) frees. The thing that really gets a crowd down (and is just @@@@ty for a market like Sydney) is when there appear to be two different interpretations of the same rule. Reminds me of the crowd reaction after the Bombers game last year when there was the Hird version of HTB and the Big Barry version.

On the Rookie List Darren Thomson's Avatar
    I have said enuf about the appalling umpiring in other threads. Just disgraceful, one sided inconsistent rubbish. Still, not much hope of beating the Cats, but we did a better job than most

Paul Roos for PM

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234