Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prospects, sliding, salary cap space

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Perhaps the main problem I have with politicians is short term thinking. It might also be the main problem I have with our club officials. I hope they forget about the Sydney Market and plan for the medium and long term good of the club, which may mean dipping out for a couple of years while we rebuild.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by robbieando View Post
    We are on the way down and we don't need ladder positions to show us that. Yes we have exposed more young players to AFL Senior Football this year than we did did last year, but the older players are not the same players they once were and we don't have ready made replacement for those who play Key Position Roles.
    Agree with all of this.

We have plenty of youngsters for which the jury is still out. If half of them come good (especially the KPPs) we should be on the rise in a year or two. Here's hoping.

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Perhaps the main problem I have with politicians is short term thinking. It might also be the main problem I have with our club officials. I hope they forget about the Sydney Market and plan for the medium and long term good of the club, which may mean dipping out for a couple of years while we rebuild.
    Couldn't agree more. Yes the club operates in a competitive market, but if they look at memberships compared to even 10 years ago, I dare say there is a much stronger core of support that will stand by the team no matter what. As for those who jump off/don't buy tickets for the odd match here and there, well every club, regardless of their location experiences the same thing.

So IMHO the club needs to forget this attitude of "we can't afford to miss finals" and set things in place for the next tilt at a flag, because with the current attitude, we'll continue to finish 7th/8th at best and bomb out unceremoniously in the first week of the finals if we actually make it...

I'm on the Chandwagon!!!

If you cannot compete for the premiership, it's better to be young and exciting than middle-aged and dowdy.

this year seems to be a repeat of last year on pure results and a bit of a waste. But i actually think we have a bit more to look forward to after this year.

We have finally given at least 3 kids some decent game time, we have also exposed others to a few games here and there. We have 2 players in malceski and to a lesser extent barlow who would put this season down as a write off, but could easily make an impact next year.

The trouble is when we are down and need a lift we look to the same players

kirk and j.bolton- but they get the hard ball and get it out especially kirk, but they rely on others to take it and use it they have done their job

but we are suffering because the outside types goodes and kennelly have struggled with injuries, attidude and form.

We also still rely on leo barry to play about 10-20cms and 10 kilos above his abilities which he has not done on a consistent basis for 3 years. Craig Bolton is another we expect too much from in terms of game plan.

Up forward is the biggest joke, even if hall and oloughlin are there, the delivery is rotten or just wide and asking for special shots every time.

I guess the point of my ramblings is we need to change the gameplan and strucuture more than we do the personnel. Theres a spot on the list for most of the older players potentially

But it means players like buchanan, ablett, mcveigh, okeeefe, lrt, and others in that mid age bracket need to step up and become the go to guys.

I would say we are struggling because very few of those guys have assumed that role and goodes, kennelly and malceski have been stuffed for various reasons.
    Theres not much left to say

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    The decision may be out of the club's hands. I think we'll fall a lot further than the club expects, and for longer, even if it has a strategy to stay competitive.

The teams on the rise - Brisbane, Richmond, Carlton and even Essendon - will all be better next year and appear to have stronger lists than the Swans. It's our almost non-existent 22-28 age group that concerns me.

Hope I'm wrong.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12