Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Regardless of the result on Friday Night ...

Yes, No matter what the RWO emo's and NWB says, 2008 has been a better season than 2007 in many way, not least of all getting a win in the finals.

To beat the dogs would be sweet. Even though we lost last meeting, they only had 1 more scoring shot than us, and I dont think we had bustling.

Hall could tear up this finals series.

You do have a bit of an obsession... but anyway, as per the thread title regardless of this Friday's result I'm pretty pleased with the way we've gone this year. As I think Floppinab said, we were a bit lucky that we played North this week and not someone like Collingwood as we did last year. We even have a decent chance of winning this week I think given the 'Dogs are struggling. Nevertheless, I still think that we're on a slide, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. One or two years outside, or just inside, finals while we build a new team will position us well for the future. This year's finals experience for the young guys is invaluable for that.

The rollercoaster ride of RWO is always amusing.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    To beat the dogs would be sweet. Even though we lost last meeting, they only had 1 more scoring shot than us, and I dont think we had bustling.
    Lost both of the 'Dogs games in the 2nd qtr. Their 2nd qtr in both games was outstanding - we were as good or better for the rest of both matches in my opinion.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hammo View Post
    You can bet Geelong would not relish a PF against Sydney. Even if they did win the game, they would be pretty sore and sorry afterwards.

Far easier for them to dish out the physical stuff on the Dogs leading into a grand final than to take on the battle hardened Swans.
    If we get through this week, I think I'll head to Melbourne with some misguided confidence that we could roll Geelong. I agree that they would prefer to play the Dogs to us.

The odds are we'll get flogged by 50, but in the chance that we do get over the top - I dont want to miss it.
    He ate more cheese, than time allowed

Senior Player
    With you on this one NMW
    [QUOTE=NMWBloods;411864]You do have a bit of an obsession... but anyway, as per the thread title regardless of this Friday's result I'm pretty pleased with the way we've gone this year. As I think Floppinab said, we were a bit lucky that we played North this week and not someone like Collingwood as we did last year. We even have a decent chance of winning this week I think given the 'Dogs are struggling. Nevertheless, I still think that we're on a slide, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. One or two years outside, or just inside, finals while we build a new team will position us well for the future. This year's finals experience for the young guys is invaluable for that.

Quote Originally Posted by NMWBloods View Post
    You do have a bit of an obsession... but anyway, as per the thread title regardless of this Friday's result I'm pretty pleased with the way we've gone this year. As I think Floppinab said, we were a bit lucky that we played North this week and not someone like Collingwood as we did last year. We even have a decent chance of winning this week I think given the 'Dogs are struggling. Nevertheless, I still think that we're on a slide, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. One or two years outside, or just inside, finals while we build a new team will position us well for the future. This year's finals experience for the young guys is invaluable for that.

The rollercoaster ride of RWO is always amusing.
    We are on a slide.... that defies gravity.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    We are on a slide.... that defies gravity.
    Slides don't always have to go straight down. Visit a fun park or local playground!
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

I was screaming during the third quarter that I didn't care if we lost to the bulldogs next week, just as long as we beat the bushrats tonight.

Got a giggle from the bench!!
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by floppinab View Post
    Second, must find another avenue through half forward other than O'Keefe. The Dogs have far more armory to shut him down than the 'roos. i.e Would love to see them mix it up with Hall playing up the ground every so often and Goodes and ROK playing back.
    Is that you Blighty?
    Bevo bandwagon driver

On the Rookie List Darren Thomson's Avatar
    Pick, pick, pick, we won, you bewdy. Good thread, personally I would love to see us have a go at hammering the Cats physically. The Dogs play a different style of footy and we can beat them. Cats? I think we might be the closest thing to them, their midfield just brushes Hawks aside and provides too much forward 50 entry. Our experience in finals might come to the fore here, we know how to win them, Dogs really haven't racked up a whole lot of finals wins between them, barring Acker of course. Laidley, be quiet next time.

Paul Roos for PM

Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    If we get through this week, I think I'll head to Melbourne with some misguided confidence that we could roll Geelong. I agree that they would prefer to play the Dogs to us.

The odds are we'll get flogged by 50, but in the chance that we do get over the top - I dont want to miss it.
    LOL. At the moment I'm telling friends that this will be my last footy trip to Melb this year but really, I know what I'm like and if we win this weekend I'll be logging onto the first computer I can find aftre the game on friday night to book a flight back down to Melb the following Saturday; cruiser = football tragic
    Occupational hazards:
    I don't eat animals since discovering this ability. I used to. But one day the lamb I was eating came through to me and ever since then I haven't been able to eat meat.
    - animal psychic Amanda de Warren

Yarraville, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    I'm approaching the rest of the finals with a 'nothing to lose' attitude. 2 weeks ago I didn't even want us to be there. Now I'm EXPECTING us to make another prelim final.

There was just something I saw in the second half last weekend that made me think "Our boys have got the hunger back again". I don't know where they got it all from. But when they got their confidence back the passes started to stick, they started to dispossess & hassle the footy off the Roos. The mental strength appeared to return, with the younger guys feeding off the leadership of the seasoned campaigners.

We need not lose perspective though. This year is STILL a rebuilding year. The fact that a team can have SO MANY deficiencies yet still be in the hunt to compete for finals glory is testament to the professionalism shown by the footy department these days. We aren't going to be there forever & need to realise that. So lets enjoy this September surprise.

The way I feel about things if we beat the Dogs I'm actually excited about playing Geelong. We more than likely will not win. But if we have a red hot crack & hold our own, I can live with that.

Still, we have to beat the Doggies first. I WILL still be disappointed if we don't beat them. They are as beatable as they have been all season. And it was only a crap 2nd quarter with an understrength team & bad kicking in the 3rd from us that let them get the win in Canberra a few weeks ago.

If we win I'll be the proudest person in Yarraville!

JF
    "Never ever ever state that Sydney is gone.They are like cockroaches in the aftermath of a nuclear war"
    (Forum poster 'Change', Big Footy 04Apr09)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast