Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ryan O'Keefe heading south?

Ugh. If we lose O'Keefe and Hall and get Kerr, I'm going to be furious.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    I'd pull out all stops to keep ROK. It sounds like he wants to stay with money being the disputed issue at the moment.

I'd like to keep Hall too, but if we can finagle a late 1st rounder/high 2nd rounder for him I would accept that. The rumour is he wants to go back to Melbourne. I'm not sure what is so urgent for Barry that he has to move now rather than do it when he retires in 1-2 years time. And anyway, didn't he move out of Melbourne to escape the intense scrutiny by the footballing journalists down there?

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    I'm not sure what is so urgent for Barry that he has to move now rather than do it when he retires in 1-2 years time.
    Premiership glory perhaps?

The Bulldogs look like they're in their prime but they need a big forward if they're any chance to win the flag in the next 1-2 years. The premiership window for Sydney is pretty much shut now and if Hall wants to play in another premiership side before he retires, best chance it's with the Bulldogs.
    I only support one team: The SYDNEY SWANS!!!!!

Would be kinda irronic if the person who brought Hall to the Swans would then be the one to lure him away from the Swans. Maybe Eade knows how Hall's mind works.

On the Rookie List
    They need to throw the cheque-book at O'Keefe and let him fill it out himself. Can't afford to lose him.

Hall... that one is slightly different. I'd be shattered if he left because I love him, and seeing him in enemy colours would be demoralising, but there would be slight benefits if we got a high draft pick.

Still, Hall is one of the main draws for our club. We need him for more than his on field performance.
    Grandson of South Melbourne legend Keith Schaefer.

Go Swans Always
    I agree want to keep Hall but particularly want to keep O'Keefe
    Love those Swans

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    I want to keep ROK, but I'd entertain the idea of a straight swap for Gibbs.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    *sigh* Just as the Swans are destined to be associated with any out-of-contract player, it seems that it's become O'Keefe's lot to be the subject of trade rumours with the Victorian clubs whenever he's out of contract. I'd be very surprised (not to mention disappointed!) if he goes because he's now one of our most experienced players, even if we are a fair way off a premiership, to give him up now would be crazy!

On the other hand, I could envisage a scenario in which we traded Hall for adequate compensation, of course he would leave a hole but given that we did better than expected without him this year I think we could just about cobble together a reasonable forward line around MO'L, Playfair, Goodes, Davis if he stays (?) for a season or two until a new long-term prospect emerges. O'Keefe is another one along with Goodes who could certainly play out his career up forward.

Both trades are extremely unlikely though!

Quote Originally Posted by NMWBloods View Post
    I am pretty much positive that O'Keefe barracked for Fitzroy...maybe ha changed when he was older, but from the time I knew the bloke he always barracked for the Lions...
    Go you mighty BLOODBOYS!

Suspended by the MRP reigning premier's Avatar
    Is that the truth?? Or did you read it in the Telegraph?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chow-Chicker View Post
    FFS, if you get an early 1st round pick why would you trade it away for a gimp like Kerr? Take a @@@@ing look at the talent in this year's draft and see if you would honestly trade it away.....

Naitanui
    Rich
    Watts
    Ziebell
    Hurley

are going to be absolute guns for the next decade.

Think boys, THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINK!
    Ok... So not even consider a PROVEN performer and game breaker at the peak of his powers and instead roll the dice on some could be's???

Umm..... How do I say this....

Think man, THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINK!

Suspended by the MRP reigning premier's Avatar
    Is that the truth?? Or did you read it in the Telegraph?
    It would seem to be a pointless move trading ROK for a deal with Kerr....

For mine, Swans have two options.

We either bet the farm and tarde away everything we have in order to have one more realistic tilt at the falg whilst we still have the likes of MOL, Kirk, BBBH, Leaping and any one of the other 27+ players we have. Or, alternatively, we trade the likes of ROK and anyone pluss 24/25 and recruit like nothing else to wind up for another crack in about 2012.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by reigning premier View Post
    It would seem to be a pointless move trading ROK for a deal with Kerr....

For mine, Swans have two options.

We either bet the farm and tarde away everything we have in order to have one more realistic tilt at the falg whilst we still have the likes of MOL, Kirk, BBBH, Leaping and any one of the other 27+ players we have. Or, alternatively, we trade the likes of ROK and anyone pluss 24/25 and recruit like nothing else to wind up for another crack in about 2012.
    We have a third option. Keep our better players, let the older ones retire steadily and graciously over the next 2-3 years (by which time more will be at retirement age), continue to recruit younger players into the club, develop them (and the ones who exist) in an environment that values being as competitive as possible, gradually expose those younger players into senior football to play alongside a core of experienced and competitive players, and wait and see what happens.

There is no evidence that approach B has much chance of success. The Hawks are the closest yet to succeeding with that approach (but have achieved less so far than the Swans of 2005-6) but they supplemented their trading of good players with being completely and utterly crap for 3 years and accumulating low draft picks that way.

Also, despite the focus on the likes of Buddy and Roughhead, their current success also relies heavily on the input from Mitchell (late 2nd round pick), Bateman (3rd round + draft pick), and Osbourne, Sewell and Campbell (all ex-rookies). Good players have always been found and developed from all ranges of the draft and I believe that will continue to be the case.

Sure, read the profiles of the top 30 or so likely draftees this year and salivate on how they all read like potential Brownlow medallists, multiple AAs and club B&F winners, but bear in mind that amongst them will be future Fitzgeralds, Walshes and Doyles (whose bodies won't stand up to the rigours of AFL football), Johnstones and Headlands (highly skilled players who don't have the work ethic to ever turn that promise into more than sporadically excellent performances), Reillys, Fosdikes, Harrises (the list is endless - players who are GOPs are nothing more), or Morrisons, Willoughbys, Stevens, Rances, Sampis, Egans, Coles (this list is also endless - players who were just plain flops for whatever reason).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast