Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone know if VFL was radioed into Sydney late 1950's early 1960's

Does anyone know if VFL was radioed into Sydney late 1950's early 1960's

The reason I ask is that I have a consuming memory of my grandfather sitting on our verandah with a portable radio jammed against his ear and yelling "Carn the Blues".

Scared the hell out of me.

My other abiding memory of him was when he tried to explain the game to me - they raced up one end of the oval and kicked back down the other end, ah its a grand game! He pretty much sparkled telling me that, thought that could have been the beer. Now I feel sorry for him being stuck in Sydney most of his life when the love of his life was in Victoria! Took me a long while to cotton on, but I guess I am his granddaughter after all. Carn the Bloods.

So was he listening to a VFL match being beamed north to Sydney? A Grand Final perhaps? Anyone know?
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Suspended by the MRP
    may have come up via a carrier pigeon?

Senior Player
    Possibly the 62 GF when the Blues went down to Essendon. Carlton didn't have any success during this period though made the PF in 59 again going down to the Bombers. I'm sorry to hear that your grandfather was a Carlton fan but I suspect that he had other redeeming qualities.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Quote Originally Posted by snajik View Post
    Possibly the 62 GF when the Blues went down to Essendon. Carlton didn't have any success during this period though made the PF in 59 again going down to the Bombers. I'm sorry to hear that your grandfather was a Carlton fan but I suspect that he had other redeeming qualities.
    Well that date fits in with my memory. Nah, not many other redeemin qualities, other than calling the black and white cat Collingwood. Strange how the love of a game is the one thing that stands out about him. I have a feeling my friends and family feel the same way about me...sigh.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Hate Carlton....

[QUOTE=snajik. I'm sorry to hear that your grandfather was a Carlton fan but I suspect that he had other redeeming qualities.[/QUOTE]

Since John Elliott I became a Carlton hater.....it hurt when Diesel grabbed the quid but thats professional sport. Can't stand the wankers....coming to the footy with their Cashmere coats adorning bags of fruit and their sheilas in high heels and dripping with gold. Beating them is nearly as good as winning the GF....but not quite!

Quote Originally Posted by givekidsakick View Post
    Beating them is nearly as good as winning the GF....but not quite!

And beating them for such a long time now...all this century I think it is
    "The Dog days are over, The Dog days are gone" Florence and the Machine

cats

Quote Originally Posted by satchmopugdog View Post
    and the cat came back.......not if he enters my back yard. Lost an injured bird recently, pursued through surrounding back yards to no avail. In the suburban block there was a fat cat at back steps of most houses, and a couple scurrying away.....in every yard. Cats make great hats.

They haven't beaten us since Round 8, 2000, at Optus Oval. We've won our last eleven matches against them.

I get the feeling our winning streak against Carlton will come to an end this year.

They last beat us early 2000.

I remember it well because I was holed up in St Vincents Private 1 day after heart surgery. My wife point blank refused to put the game on the TV but I sooked so much she relented on the proviso that if it was close towards the end she would turn it off. My cardilologist came in during the game and found it amusing, but gave me a serious directive to not be stupid if I felt the slightest niggle in the chest.

As an aside, a few weeks after surgery we went to the cardiologist for a checkup. My wife made an enquiry about when it was safe to resume sex. The doc said I should be good to go for it (so to speak) but suggested I refrain from going to the footy for another month. Guess that shows what excites me

Absolute true story.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Well i thinking it was quite possible that it was available in sydney,that era fits in the time of MW and SW radio.the older ones here would possibly remember multi band radios and i also suspect that ABC radio did the broadcasts back then..Having watched old file tapes i thinking they did..

Quote Originally Posted by thejones,s View Post
    Well i thinking it was quite possible that it was available in sydney,that era fits in the time of MW and SW radio.the older ones here would possibly remember multi band radios and i also suspect that ABC radio did the broadcasts back then..Having watched old file tapes i thinking they did..
    Many thanks one and all. Its been a niggle for most of my life just wondering why that man was bouncing around in his chair to a tune only he could hear with that little transister pressed against his ear.

Quote Originally Posted by givekidsakick View Post
    and the cat came back.......not if he enters my back yard. Lost an injured bird recently, pursued through surrounding back yards to no avail. In the suburban block there was a fat cat at back steps of most houses, and a couple scurrying away.....in every yard. Cats make great hats.
    Whatever!!!!
    "The Dog days are over, The Dog days are gone" Florence and the Machine

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast