Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Does anyone know if VFL was radioed into Sydney late 1950's early 1960's

Quote Originally Posted by Nthblood View Post
    Quote from Mr Magoo
    "Just a question to you older RWO members. In the sixties and seventies did you constantly hear discussion about how the game wasnt the same as it was in the fourties and fifities and did the Vfl at the time constantly seek rule changes to make it more like the memory they had of the game at that time."

Mr Magoo very rarely did the vfl back then change rules. The only rule change or re-interpretation of a rule, I can remember from the seventies was the actual way it was deemed you where in possession and the way you disposed of the ball.

Yes all the old timers from the thirties, forties and fifties would always discuss how it was better in there day especially the high marking. No one ever beat the great Bob Pratt for constant high marking for the old time blood supporters.

I totally agree..that was VFL..today they cant do anything without it being deemed unsafe,,hip n shoulder seems to be on the outer..

Veterans List
    IIRC ABC Radio Australia did a live VFL game each Saturday. Probably a relay of the game that 3LO or 3AR did in Melbourne on a Saturday.
    This went on for decades and I listened to a South game in Darwin in 1977.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    Just a question to you older RWO members. In the sixties and seventies did you constantly hear discussion about how the game wasnt the same as it was in the fourties and fifities and did the Vfl at the time constantly seek rule changes to make it more like the memory they had of the game at that time.
    Some of the biggest rule changes that have influenced the game as we know it today were introduced in the 70's.

Out of bounds on the full was introduced at the start of the 1970 season. its impact was almost immediate, with 100 goal a year fullforwards becoming the norm rather than the exception.

The centre diamond, which later became the centre square was introduced in 1973 (I think). Introduced to stop teams flooding the centre bounce.

Another rule change that came about in the 70's was the line across the centre circle.

Senior Player
    As far as I can find, the ABC televised the final quarter of the 67 GF into Sydney live...the next year 9 showed the whole thing live and I suspect that to be the first full telecast of the GF into Sydney.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123