Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The umpiring problem

Suspended by the MRP reigning premier's Avatar
    Is that the truth?? Or did you read it in the Telegraph?
    To some extent I think the umpires are being a little "precious" when it comes to contact. When you have 45 people + running around on one field, there's bound to be some, occassional, accidental contact. This is part of the game. However, when a player lays a hand on an official in the course of the game, it needs to be very carefully scrutinised.

Heath Shaw, IMHO, was rightfully suspended. He should count himself lucky that it wasn't more. Brett Kirk (And several others) however, should count themselves unlucky as their contact was in a contest with another player, not an argument with an umpire.

Malthouse should be facing at least a two week ban as should Eddie and Jeff with $50k fines slapped on top. The dissent they have shown the officials (and the AFL to a lesser degree) is totally unacceptable. It does come down to setting an example and coaches and club presidents should be setting the highest example of them all. Is it any wonder that Shaw thinks he has the right to not only question the umpire, but to physically harass them when that's the sort of leadership shown at Collingwood?

The umpires will ALWAYS make mistakes (Just as players who get paid $500k a year manage to miss goals, kick the ball OOF and drop sitters do). And yes, the way they are expected to "interpret" the rules is frustrating for all concerned. Nonetheless, without the officials, without the umpires, and without the rules, we have no game whatsoever. The umpires are the custodians of the rules and need to be treated with as much respect as the game itself. They are sacrosanct, just like the game itself.

It is not the umpires who think they are bigger than the game, only those that seek to deride those who officiate and mange the games for their own benefit are the problem here.

I said a dozen times last Saturday that the game would flow much better if there were NO umpires.

Can you imagine it? Let the crowd decide if punishment is warranted.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by reigning premier View Post
    To some extent I think the umpires are being a little "precious" when it comes to contact. When you have 45 people + running around on one field, there's bound to be some, occassional, accidental contact. This is part of the game. However, when a player lays a hand on an official in the course of the game, it needs to be very carefully scrutinised.

Heath Shaw, IMHO, was rightfully suspended. He should count himself lucky that it wasn't more. Brett Kirk (And several others) however, should count themselves unlucky as their contact was in a contest with another player, not an argument with an umpire.

Malthouse should be facing at least a two week ban as should Eddie and Jeff with $50k fines slapped on top. The dissent they have shown the officials (and the AFL to a lesser degree) is totally unacceptable. It does come down to setting an example and coaches and club presidents should be setting the highest example of them all. Is it any wonder that Shaw thinks he has the right to not only question the umpire, but to physically harass them when that's the sort of leadership shown at Collingwood?

The umpires will ALWAYS make mistakes (Just as players who get paid $500k a year manage to miss goals, kick the ball OOF and drop sitters do). And yes, the way they are expected to "interpret" the rules is frustrating for all concerned. Nonetheless, without the officials, without the umpires, and without the rules, we have no game whatsoever. The umpires are the custodians of the rules and need to be treated with as much respect as the game itself. They are sacrosanct, just like the game itself.

It is not the umpires who think they are bigger than the game, only those that seek to deride those who officiate and manage the games for their own benefit are the problem here.
    I'm happy to go along with all this. In fact, I think the umpires themselves are unhappy about the present state of affairs and may resent the rules committee's usurpation of their (the umpires') role of custodians of the game. This is why I headed the thread "The umpiring problem"; the fundamental problem in my view is not the umpires (always excepting Chamberpot) but the interference of the rules committee and their failure to adequately consult with others before meddling with the game. I agree with Paul Roos in his statement that the game should be allowed to evolve; I think Nathan Buckley has said similar things. The handling of the dreaded flood is a good example; any team now that relies too heavily on flooding will pay the price on the scoreboard. That's how it should work.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    I said a dozen times last Saturday that the game would flow much better if there were NO umpires.

Can you imagine it? Let the crowd decide if punishment is warranted.

Crowd-sourcing the umpiring - a crowd-pleaser.

But, I suggest, only at games at the SCG.

Once we point out to Andy D what that will do for the TV ratings he's bound to say yes.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12