Quote Originally Posted by connolly View Post
Footy is about opinions. I have had a look at the clip and its worse than my hazy memory here at the nursing home. Davo actually ran away from the ball and the goals. Now he had two options (your suggestion that he ran a decoy is inventive). One was to shepherd which he didn't do and the other was to move into the pack. He did neither and as I said thank christ for Buchanon. The point i am making is that our recollections are coloured by bias and when things occur in the game. Three other points - the tape shows just how much we owed Ball for the premiership. His ruck work in the finals series particularly on the forward was a big factor in the win against Geelong and in the GF. And how much we owe Buchanon for the GF win. Not only did he in the clip attack the ball under enormous pressure in a grand final and kick the winning goal but he played a blinder. I can forgive him a lot in his recent drop off in form and it would be decent if people tempered the calls for his dumping with at least an acknowledgement of what he did on that day. And finally the Bevanator (another unsung hero of the 05 finals campaign) lays a ferocious tackle on the recovering victim with medicinal problems at 13 seconds if i'm not mistaken. A little high but he nailed him. Worth a look just for that. Thanks.
In my opinion you're mistaken about Davis; I think his move was deliberately planned and practised.
And in my opinion you're absolutely right about Buchanan; I'm one of those who think he was robbed of the Norm Smith. Incidentally, so does the Age footy supplement.
And in my opinion it's fun to see normal service resumed on the subject of the Bevanator.