I Know, I know long time readers will recognise this rant, BUT.....I am right....I am (unfortunately) right.

We probably have 3 senior players with IQ over 110 and it really hurts us. Footy Brain footy schmain! We have too many blokes who are just not smart. Almost an entire backline, actually.

Teddy, teddy, I have not doubt you are a lovely bloke...courageous and a good contested mark....but sheesh, is it possible that anyone has ever done anything stupider than NOT kicking the football with 5 seconds to go in the quarter???

At least most cough ups involve a skill error. But the problem with Marty, LRT, Bevo, Rhyce and Teddy (and that's just the backline!!) is that the errors are between the ears and are seemingly unfixable.

So congratulations to the recruiting staff of late for getting Smith, Bird, Vez and Meredith. It's a start, at least.

Maybe it's about recognising your own weaknesses...as someone said here once before, the problem with our backs is that they have a think...being under the illusion that thinking will allow them to come up with an option that is better than the instinctive, first half-baked idea they had.....NO IT WON'T!!!!

Alan Didak can hold on to the ball and weigh the seventeen different propositions which spring to mind and then choose the most effective one....YOU CAN'T! Jam it on the boot or hand to the first available place where Red has a better chance of getting it than the other blokes....that's it!

I hereby propose that the FIRST element tested in possible recruits for the next 3 years (at least) be IQ.

They might not always be Rising Star winners but a midfield of Kirks and S. Blacks (plus a couple of blokes who can kick!!) should be the aim seeing as we won't have 10 top 10 picks to work with. Intelligent players get better with age. Once they become experienced they don't drift out of games.

Getting Schmidt on the park should be a top priority....he is a skillful midfielder with real brains and could actually make a difference soon.