Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One week at a time - 22nd June

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries

One HD

...and the boot into Crouch and the Swans.
    Please please please boys make a liar out of Walls. Even Quarterbrain is having a go.
    I have a massive crush on Tom Harley! Come to Sydney....please.
    Showing all the Kirky/Hall love and then the classic thumbs up.

One week at a time - 22nd June

Had a detailed discussion on the Swans.

Showed footage of Crouch and said how slow he is. Apart from his very slow running, the footage showed very poor decision making skills as well.

Walls said:

1. Swans have oldest list;
    2. They will not make the 8 this year;
    3. They are in serious trouble in the next few years in terms of the list;
    4. No outstanding up and coming players on the list;
    5. Roos HAS TO clear a lot of deadwood at the end of this year.

The Swans have serious list problems in the next 2 or 3 years. It is looking very grim.

Said Sydney is the only team in AFL that has falling membership, falling TV ratings and falling attendances.

Said Roos and Colless with their recent media announcements could be buttering the AFL for extra benefits.

Said AFL will go ahead with West Sydney team for the benefit on the next 25 years where the AFL has to have a presence.

I thought the comments they made were quite fair and sadly the truth which as much as we don't like it, is the truth.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

On the subject of the title of this thread, I need some (probably basic) information.

On Sat night I got the call to go out and drink heavily, and I spent the whole night avoiding the game and then some replay on the big screens that seemed everywhere at Crown.
    I did this because I was taping the game on One
    I taped Channel 12.
    So in the morning I somehow managed to read the romotes and put the game on.
    I got 3 hours of the One Logo.
    And there was a blurb down the bottom which said that the game was on Channel 10 and Channel 1
    So what's the difference between Ch 1 and Ch 12?
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    And there was a blurb down the bottom which said that the game was on Channel 10 and Channel 1
    About 24 beers.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

One HD is finally coming to Pucka. 2nd July.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannie14 View Post
    One HD is finally coming to Pucka. 2nd July.
    ACT too. Biggest roar in the house from the 3 fellas when the date appeared at the bottom of the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by ROK Lobster View Post
    ACT too. Biggest roar in the house from the 3 fellas when the date appeared at the bottom of the screen.
    Yep, here too, but the wife just rolled the eyes and said "Oh, great."
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Quote Originally Posted by Bas View Post
    Walls said:

I don't have HD so didn't see the context within which Walls' comments were made, but in general response:

1. I'm not sure if this is true, but there is no doubt we are heavily reliant on our older players as they remain our best players.
    2. Agree, but neither will 7 other teams and most experts didn't expect us to play finals anyway.
    3. I agree with this assessment
    4. I doubt Walls would have intimate knowledge of our list. Bird, Veszpremi, Meredith, Johnson should all be good players. If we are at the start of a rebuild, not the end of a sustained period of underperformance / tanking, then it's not surprising a list of 6 future / current guns can't be rattled off like at Carlton or Hawthorn.
    5. With retirements and some delisting, there will be natural turnover of the list, but loading up on 5th and 6th round picks hardly makes much sense.

I have said in other threads over the years that I don't agree with the club's mutterings on always needing to be competitive and our attitudes to the draft, although finally the club now seems to be changing its tune in recognition of the realities of the draft system. Given every other club in the AFL except maybe Geelong has spend time near the bottom of the ladder over the past decade, it's a bit rich for critics like Walls to start laying the boot in over the state of the Swans' list and trying to link that to the health of the game in Sydney as a whole. It has been a great era but reality is catching up.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

Veterans List
    I thought it significant that when Walls departed On The Couch, Roosey fronted up.

Surely Walls still doesn't harbour ill feelings after his 2005 multiple gaffs.

Quote Originally Posted by ROK Lobster View Post
    Just watching the netball on One HD. Those ladies are very athletic. I might just watch them for the rest of the year instead of the Swans.

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    On the subject of the title of this thread, I need some (probably basic) information.

I taped Channel 12.
    So in the morning I somehow managed to read the romotes and put the game on.
    Ch 1/11 is the HD version of One. Ch 12 is the SD version. With Ch 10 being a SD channel and showing the Swans v Pies game, the content between 10 and 12 would be identical hence not broadcasting it on 12, only 10.

I'm on the Chandwagon!!!

If you cannot compete for the premiership, it's better to be young and exciting than middle-aged and dowdy.

Regular in the Side
    [QUOTE=Bas;444435]Had a detailed discussion on the Swans.

Showed footage of Crouch and said how slow he is. Apart from his very slow running, the footage showed very poor decision making skills as well.

Walls said:

The Swans have serious list problems in the next 2 or 3 years. It is looking very grim."

To be fair to Walls, the "no outstanding up and coming player" comment was made by Quartermaine. All five factors are right. And I'll add a sixth factor. What also concerns me after watching the Swans' recent games against the Eagles, the Hawks, and now Collingwood, are their very disappointing final quarters. Now that has never previously happened since 2002, save for very rare exceptions such as the Kangaroos game at the SCG in 2004.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast