Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: something different(last man standing)

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Not having heard anything about the status of AJ's knee for a while, is it possible to make any prognosis at all?
    Almost impossible. My initial response was answering a 'why not' question. My subsequent post was 'this is why', because 'why not' seemed pessimistic. There are a multitude of other factors too. All hypotheticals, I'm afraid, unless we have intimate knowledge of his situation (which the club should not give, because of patient confidentially) but probably more accurate that the New Idea poorly substantiated, conjecture riddled, "reporting" of the Buddy situation. It was more to give insight as to what could influence outcome.

I know his surgery was scheduled for August, but hasn't been reported, to my knowledge. Did he actually have the surgery? What type of reco is he having (or had)?
    Not sure that it's been reported (I haven't heard)

What would be the case for someone like AJ who has had the entire removal of the ACL and the knee cleaned up from prior surgery??
    Pretty much the same as for most people.

There are many ways to perform an ACL reconstruction but many of them removing the torn ACL anyway (otherwise it would impinge with the new graft in a confined space within the knee ie the intercondylar notch of the femur).

It's also not uncommon for a surgeon with a first time ACL rupture to perform an initial "exploratory/examination" arthroscopy to assess the knee & clean up meniscal & chondral cartilage (& to establish that the ACL is ruptured & actually requires reconstruction) and then, once the inflammation has settled, subsequently perform the reconstruction.

Without typing a massive response, that is a simple answer to your postulation. Bear in mind, however, ACL recons are often done with out an initial arthroscopy, & some reconstructive procedures can preserve part (or all) of the ACL.

Perhaps there's been another delay in his surgery for some nefarious reason.
    Quite possibly. We can postulate all we want but without facts to base it on, it's simply hypothetical.

And thanks again for your insights into medical matters.
    All to be taken with a disclaimer of it being general information only. I have no insider knowledge of AJs specific circumstances, nor should RWO readers use it as medical advice for their own circumstances. Having said that, you're most welcome
    Last edited by goswannies; 23rd September 2015 at 02:38 PM.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567