Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2006 National Draft

33 Years of Support Alibi Monday's Avatar

2006 National Draft

Just had a look at this interesting statistic over at footywire.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/f...r=2006&t=N&s=P

What's absolutely evident is that the only 2 players yet to play senior football who were in the Top 50 selections are our two Daniels. Our next selection, Faulks, also never played a senior game. White came in as our last selection at Pick 79.

If you had to rate our performance at this draft objectively, at the moment, it wouldn't look too flash (2/10).

Did we draft poorly here? or are they late bloomers? or are our match committee to blame?

It should be noted that early KPP have also struggled at this draft such Gumbleton, Thorp, Reid and Sellar. But you would expect to have much better impact with a medium sizer such as DOK.

Drummoyne..INNER WEST BABY!! (Bay 29 SCG)
    Currie has shown alot of potential to be a strong ruckman in the seniors with some of his performances in the ressies. His injuries held him back as he would of definitely made his debut this year.

DOK - Bust, no doubt about that. I honestly don't think he'll make it.
    Mitch Brown was the one to take there.

And no we didn't draft that badly as you can see at #79 we have drafted a big lad from QLD called Jesse White. His potential IMO makes up for DOK and Faulks.
    Official Driver Of The "Who Gives A @@@@ As The Player Will Get Delisted Anyway" Bandwagon.

Plenty of 'what ifs' on that list.

Three which scream out to me are Leroy Jetta, Alywn Davey and Brad Dick.

I wouldn't lose faith with Currie though, he was underage when we took him I believe, has had a bad run with injuries and ruckmen take longer to develop.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

Seems like DOK was a massive bust.

Jesse White's looking like he could be our number 1 forward for the next decade, so we've drafted well with him.

I'm still confident that Currie will make it - his form was solid in the reserves before he got injured.

O'Keefe's first real crack at it this year after being injured for his first two years. Certainly deserves another year but needs to play senior footy next year.

In answer to the OP - too early to tell.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    How on earth did Big Jesse make it through to 79? If our recruiters need a check up, all the others need the sack. No wonder people say the draft's a lottery.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

I assume White was well down the list because of his basketball background.

Obviously 2006 doesn't speak well for our drafting skills as our top picks could be a flop and our success at #79 was sheer luck.

But the draft really is a lottery and there are plenty of surprising examples from both directions.

Quote Originally Posted by Lohengrin View Post

But the draft really is a lottery and there are plenty of surprising examples from both directions.
    Exactly. For every Ryan Fitzgerald (#4, 10 games), Mark Kinnear (#4, 6 games), Brinkkotter (#10, 10 games) or Andrew McGovern (#4, 20 games), there is an O'Loughlin (#40, 301 games), Goodes (#43, 250 games), O'Keefe (#56, 164 games) or Dunkley (#56, 217 games).

Yes, and I think most clubs have these sorts of examples.

Quote Originally Posted by Donners View Post
    Exactly. For every Ryan Fitzgerald (#4, 10 games), Mark Kinnear (#4, 6 games), Brinkkotter (#10, 10 games) or Andrew McGovern (#4, 20 games), there is an O'Loughlin (#40, 301 games), Goodes (#43, 250 games), O'Keefe (#56, 164 games) or Dunkley (#56, 217 games).
    Obviously we should trade all our 1st and 2nd round draft picks away, and just concentration on 3rd and 4th rounders.

Quote Originally Posted by Lohengrin View Post
    I assume White was well down the list because of his basketball background.

Obviously 2006 doesn't speak well for our drafting skills as our top picks could be a flop and our success at #79 was sheer luck.

Weren't the Swans working with him secretly in the lead-up to the draft so the other clubs weren't aware of his ability?
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Hell View Post
    Weren't the Swans working with him secretly in the lead-up to the draft so the other clubs weren't aware of his ability?
    I think you are thinking of Orreal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast