Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Premier Competition for the Swans Reserves and NSW

A Premier Competition for the Swans Reserves and NSW

A long time bone for picking from most Swans fans is the lack of a top flight competition for the Swans to compete within the Sydney area. Most agree that it is a joke that the Two's must travel to Canberra to find adequate (though some even question this) competition.

If the AFL was serious about developing the game in Sydney this is where their focus would be - making a comp that could be producing players of a calibre to rival those produced in the WAFL, VFL etc, ready to play the game at the elite level. Many would say this is impossible. It's cultural, blah, blah, blah. Irrelevant. This should be their goal - whether it is ever achieved or not.

To this end I have devised the following competition, which I feel would be money well spent and a step in the right direction. Whether teams are started from scratch or teams are moved from current competitions is a little irrelevant. The idea is to skim the cream from existing teams and competitions instituting a competitive level above the current SFL, Black Diamond and Wollongong Leagues.

8 teams

North Sydney
    Eastern Suburbs (Swans)
    Western Suburbs (GWS)
    South Sydney
    Far Western Sydney/Penrith/Blue Mountains
    Newcastle
    Central Coast
    The Gong

This means that 2 teams are made from AFL lists.

3 teams are skimmed from the cream of the SFL.

2 teams from the Black Diamond.

1 team from Wollongong. (I have no idea of the standard of this competition)

Would love to see Demitreou make a real commitment to Sydney and NSW. The approach currently taken with GWS makes little sense considering this glaring oversight.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

You'd have a much higher standard if you included teams from the ACT. A combined Sydney / Canberra league would make sense and travel wouldn't be an issue.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by hammo View Post
    You'd have a much higher standard if you included teams from the ACT. A combined Sydney / Canberra league would make sense and travel wouldn't be an issue.
    Thought about it - decided against for the following:

1. More parochial - the focus should be Sydney and surrounds.

2. I think the travel would be too far for an amatuer team.

3. If individuals were serious they would come to Sydney from Canberra.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Hell View Post
    Thought about it - decided against for the following:

1. More parochial - the focus should be Sydney and surrounds.

2. I think the travel would be too far for an amatuer team.

3. If individuals were serious they would come to Sydney from Canberra.
    3 hours isn't that far, really. Many Bushies players in the TAC Cup travel that far and back for every training session, never mind getting to away games.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Canberra to Newcastle is about 7 hours by bus and 8 hours by train. The excessive travel time is due to connecting in Sydney. According to this Trip Time Calculator it's 6 hrs and 5 minutes by car...each way.

Considering the opposition from the Canberra Clubs to the admission of the Swans - I doubt they would be appreciative of being absorbed by a Sydney Comp.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Hell View Post
    Canberra to Newcastle is about 7 hours by bus and 8 hours by train. The excessive travel time is due to connecting in Sydney. According to this Trip Time Calculator it's 6 hrs and 5 minutes by car...each way.

Considering the opposition from the Canberra Clubs to the admission of the Swans - I doubt they would be appreciative of being absorbed by a Sydney Comp.
    Canberra to Newcastle - 4 hours on a really good trip. But in a bus with a stop or two I'd budget 5 if I was using the M7.

I have no doubt Sydney siders are parochial - it's like they were the only city to get the dust storm this morning on ch10, but Canberra would have a higher standard of AFL than NSW. Reality is if you take the Auskick numbers out of NSW registrations the game isn't in that strong a state there.

Warming the Bench
    Having worked in regional WA and remote NT for the last number of years in football development, I have watched a steady stream of young hopefuls head east/south to play suburban or country league footy in Victoria because they believe that is a pathway into AFL.

It's also proven to be a handy little money-earner while getting to experience a different lifestyle.

Eddie Betts is one who made it through this pathway from Kalgoorlie via Templestowe. But for every one who makes it, there are a big number who simply boost the calibre of the competitions they play in for a couple of years.

My (limited) understanding of AFL game development in Sydney is that it's reasonably healthy beyond Auskick with vibrant junior comps which my nephews play in but maybe that's as far as it goes.

Two teams in Sydney could make this proposed competition a very attractive option for those who miss out on the draft/rookie listing and want another crack.

Furthermore, I am currently observing one of the most talented 15yos I've seen make a decision over which school to move to in Sydney from remote NT at the behest of a representative from the new franchise. Providing further evidence of a big influx of junior talent to NSW over the coming years.

I guess what I'm saying is that, I agree with Bloody Hell. If ever there was a time to do what you're suggesting, it is now...

On the Rookie List
    its a fantastic idea...
    but will it kill off other competions, i play in the black diamond comp and some teams struggle to get a first grade and ressies on the park, and the comp its struggling money wise also...
    dont get me wrong tho i love the idea but the AFL has to fully get behind it with a big wad of cash and some major sponsors

I would love to see the Swans Reserves play in a stronger Sydney competition. But I wouldn't if its going to be to the detriment of other Sydney/NSW leagues.

I raised this issue a few years ago with someone within the Swans footy department (can't remember the name). He advised it was an issue and they were looking at it back then. Looks like nothing much has changed.

My suggestion would be for the Swans to push for inclusion in the O&M FL. Its a bit further away, but a stronger competition.

Obviously the additional cost of flying our players down to Albury every second week and the away teams flying up to Sydney would be the only issue (a big one at that).

Quote Originally Posted by Vonsteinman View Post
    Having worked in regional WA and remote NT for the last number of years in football development, I have watched a steady stream of young hopefuls head east/south to play suburban or country league footy in Victoria because they believe that is a pathway into AFL.

It's also proven to be a handy little money-earner while getting to experience a different lifestyle.

Eddie Betts is one who made it through this pathway from Kalgoorlie via Templestowe. But for every one who makes it, there are a big number who simply boost the calibre of the competitions they play in for a couple of years.

My (limited) understanding of AFL game development in Sydney is that it's reasonably healthy beyond Auskick with vibrant junior comps which my nephews play in but maybe that's as far as it goes.

Two teams in Sydney could make this proposed competition a very attractive option for those who miss out on the draft/rookie listing and want another crack.

Furthermore, I am currently observing one of the most talented 15yos I've seen make a decision over which school to move to in Sydney from remote NT at the behest of a representative from the new franchise. Providing further evidence of a big influx of junior talent to NSW over the coming years.

I guess what I'm saying is that, I agree with Bloody Hell. If ever there was a time to do what you're suggesting, it is now...
    Your understanding of game development is certainly limited.....very very limited!!

On the Rookie List
    also i dont think having a swans reserve team in it would work maybe do what they do in SANFL have swans ressies and the such allocated to the others teams for in stance craig bird to play for newcastle when not in firsts and mCveigh for the central coast, that would attract more people to come watch and mayb more sponsors and help the juniors possibly

Quote Originally Posted by Chilcott View Post
    I would love to see the Swans Reserves play in a stronger Sydney competition. But I wouldn't if its going to be to the detriment of other Sydney/NSW leagues.

I raised this issue a few years ago with someone within the Swans footy department (can't remember the name). He advised it was an issue and they were looking at it back then. Looks like nothing much has changed.

My suggestion would be for the Swans to push for inclusion in the O&M FL. Its a bit further away, but a stronger competition.

Obviously the additional cost of flying our players down to Albury every second week and the away teams flying up to Sydney would be the only issue (a big one at that).
    If you are going to fly them to Albury each week in the O&M FL , may as well put a team in the VFL. The flights are probably cheaper and the players a better standard again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast