Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brett Goodes

He is 25. If he hasn't made it by now in the AFL, he won't.

Get over it.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Lovely idea. The reality is that, if put on our list, he'll do well to be another Scooter McGlone, i.e. a guy who gives 100% each week and is fantastic in the Canberra comp, but lacks the class/fitness/whatever to really push for a place in the league team.

There are dozens of 25 year olds about whom you could say, 'they go really well in the state league as a part-timer-- why wouldn't they be able to take a further step up if they joined an AFL club and went full-time?' In the case of each of them, there is generally an answer to that question. And it's not a happy answer for the player.

Quote Originally Posted by Bas View Post
    He is 25. If he hasn't made it by now in the AFL, he won't.

Get over it.
    Kind of unfair. If he'd been on a list or two and been delisted, then fair enough, but it could be that he's just a player who never really put much thought into going up to the next step.

If he's shown enough for our recruiting staff to make enquiries, I'm happy for them to enquire away. All it would cost us would be a mature-age rookie spot.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Quote Originally Posted by BSA5 View Post
    Kind of unfair. All it would cost us would be a mature-age rookie spot.
    Unfair but true.

I think a mature spot on the rookie list is instead of a younger player and not additional to.

Micky O's brother was delisted by the Crows and he never made it in Sydney either.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Unfair but true.

I think a mature spot on the rookie list is instead of a younger player and not additional to.

Micky O's brother was delisted by the Crows and he never made it in Sydney either.
    Plenty of top 10 draft picks never make it too. So I guess we should have just forfeited pick 6?

I'm fairly sure our rookie lists have been expanded to take into account the additional mature rookies, but even if they haven't, we stopped well short of a full quota of rookies in 2009, for whatever reason. We will be stocking up on new, young talent in a big, big way this year, so having a more mature body come in for free could be handy. Don't get me wrong, if we get him, he will probably be a flop. But so would most rookies. That's the nature of the list, most don't get elevated and disappear after a year anyway.

And as I said, Brett hasn't been given a chance at AFL level. Ricky did, and he failed, so it was little surprise he didn't succeed again. Brett has never been given or taken the opportunity to show what he could do. Now, I'm not holding out huge hopes for him, he'll likely not get a game. But to pre-emptively write him off completely is quite absurd.

I'd love to see junior play for Sydney. He's a gun at VFL level. A bit of full-time training will step him up in no time.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

I tend to agree that 25 is very late to be coming into the AFL system.

Also, is Pyke classified as a mature aged rookie?
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hammo View Post
    I tend to agree that 25 is very late to be coming into the AFL system.

Also, is Pyke classified as a mature aged rookie?
    No, he's an international rookie, which doesn't count in the normal rookie numbers.

Plenty of top 10 draft picks never make it too. So I guess we should have just forfeited pick 6?

And as I said, Brett hasn't been given a chance at AFL level. .
    Not a very well thought out comment regarding pick 6.

If his surname wasn't Goodes, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

You think there might be a reason that everybody in the AFL has over looked him until now?

Not a very well thought out comment regarding pick 6.

If his surname wasn't Goodes, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

You think there might be a reason that everybody in the AFL has over looked him until now?
    I was being somewhat facetious with that comment.

I would like to think that the Swans recruitment staff would be more professional than to interview somebody for a rookie spot just because their brother was a dual Brownlow medallist for them. Sure, you could apply that comment to fans who were like "OMG I never realised Goodesy had a brother, apparently he domin8s at VFL level, sign him up now!!!!", but now that there are whispers that the Swans have interviewed him and are seriously considering giving him a spot, discussion is very much warranted.

I reckon there would be a reason. That reason could be that he's not good enough. Or it could be that he's never had the ambition before. Or it could be that he never got his fitness up to scratch, and it has recently improved, allowing him to showcase what he can do. I don't know, but to assume that he's just not good enough is stupid. If we do rookie list him, let's wait to see what he can do in an AFL environment before we pass judgement.

I was being somewhat facetious with that comment.

I would like to think that the Swans recruitment staff would be more professional than to interview somebody for a rookie spot just because their brother was a dual Brownlow medallist for them. Sure, you could apply that comment to fans who were like "OMG I never realised Goodesy had a brother, apparently he domin8s at VFL level, sign him up now!!!!", but now that there are whispers that the Swans have interviewed him and are seriously considering giving him a spot, discussion is very much warranted.

I reckon there would be a reason. That reason could be that he's not good enough. Or it could be that he's never had the ambition before. Or it could be that he never got his fitness up to scratch, and it has recently improved, allowing him to showcase what he can do. I don't know, but to assume that he's just not good enough is stupid. If we do rookie list him, let's wait to see what he can do in an AFL environment before we pass judgement.
    I'm glad you were joking. I agree, give him a go and 12 months will show eirther way.

precendent?

just a thought and i know this isn't a direct (or even a good) comparison - so don't shoot me down - but Ben Graham (32yo NFL), Sav Rocca (33 NFL), Darren Bennett (30 NFL, Vince Papale (30 NFL), Jimmy Morris (35 baseball) all made their debuts at the highest level in the US at age 30+. Mike Pyke 24 and no football expereince.

Maybe Goodsey II has a chance afterall? Doesn't have to win 2 Brownlows to make it worthwhile (one would do just fine )

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast