Warming the Bench

Pathways for sydney juniours

the document has now been released on www.sydneyafl.com.au

Comments

Obviously a lot of focus on geography etc & the Sydney Uni u/18's from 2009

situation

However - it appears that juniors leaving the under 16's in 2009

are still bound to senior clubs that the Sydney AFL chooses

example - players from Penshurst can only play for St George or Southern Power. What happens if they want to play for Moorebank or Campbelltown ?
    September 24th, 2005 5.14pm
    What a great moment in all of our lives

Senior Player
    Roscoe there is nothing they can do - they can only do something if they are not listed on any of the clubs in their pathways listing of 30 players.

Have you been living under a rock Roscoe? The AFL has been forced by ECE and Sydney Uni to put something into place to help deter poaching from other Sydney AFL clubs and junior clubs that are not with in their area. l think it is a great initiative from the league, although it will be a matter of time before clubs look to exploit any loopholes. I think the new pathway approach gives kids a better chance to develop and encourages Premier League clubs to get of their @rses and help develop kids in their designated area. Hopefully over the next few years we can start to see the benifits.
    The only All Australian captain charged with glassing

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by The Duck View Post
    Have you been living under a rock Roscoe? The AFL has been forced by ECE and Sydney Uni to put something into place to help deter poaching from other Sydney AFL clubs and junior clubs that are not with in their area. l think it is a great initiative from the league, although it will be a matter of time before clubs look to exploit any loopholes. I think the new pathway approach gives kids a better chance to develop and encourages Premier League clubs to get of their @rses and help develop kids in their designated area. Hopefully over the next few years we can start to see the benifits.
    Duck knowing Roscoe I think you will find he is a bit baffled about how the boundarys were set like alot of us. He mentioned Penshurst as an example but could have listed more inparticular Bangor as clubs who a in very close proximity to us at Moorebank yet are not in our pathway yet other clubs like the Blue Mountains who may as well be in another state are.

The AFL has also said a few "Hail Mary's" when dividing up the regions as well the junior competion in the South West at U16 level is almost non existent - obviously hoping for some divine intervention to turn it around over the next few years.

Hopefully in time they should be able to iron out a few of these problems. I am just happy they have put some systems in place to stop the debacle we had last year!
    The only All Australian captain charged with glassing

Senior Player
    So am I but then again apparently I have a chip on my shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by tara View Post

A great initiative by the league. Will bring junior and senior clubs together (well, it's up to the senior clubs to do most of the work, which is fair enough.
    Of course there a few googlies in amongst the zoning. One that sticks out is probably Penrith only sharing St Clair with the East Coast Zone whilst having exclusive rights (within the zone) with the only one listed from Wollondilly.

All in all I imagine the only whingers about this initiative are the two clubs that bitterly complained about it.

That not a chip thats a log

Quote Originally Posted by tara View Post

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Doormat View Post
    That not a chip thats a log
    Nah its only a chip since the AFL agreed and bought zoning in

If you knew Tara you would know it is most likely just a picture of of a chip

Warming the Bench
    The boys from bankstown certainly have plenty of choice

St George - Southern Power

Wests

Campbelltown - Camden -Penrith - Moorebank
    September 24th, 2005 5.14pm
    What a great moment in all of our lives

Is the NSWAFL seriously saying that if I am a 16 year old kid who finishes U16s in Year 11 playing for, say St Ives, and I want to play for Sydney Uni as I think I will be studying there and I hear they have a good set up, that the NSWAFL will say "sorry kid, you cannot play there as you are North Shore's property"

IF this is true and you think this is somehow a good idea then you guys are nuts. These aren't AFL draftess, they aren't pieces of cattle or SFL club's personal property. They are 16 and 17 year old kids who want to play football and they should be able to play where they damn well like. If a kid wants to play for Sydney Uni rather than Campbeltown U18s then there are two reasons - one probably is that he wants to study at Sydney Uni and it is convenient and it will help him make friends at Uni (remember only students at Sydney Uni can get these "million dollar" scholarships everyone seems to have their knickers in a knot about). Why is that not a fair reason to play there? The second is that he believes that club is better suited to his development (perhaps the fact they have Tim Baring and Rod Carter involved). Again why can't that kid make the decision? And shouldn't that other club lift their game instead of blaming someone else all the time for their problems.

I agree with the responsibility zones for development and clubs should not be able to approach juniors directly who are outside their development area. By all means fine clubs or dock points if they are found to be "poaching". BUT this idea is simply an overkill approach IF the league will block junior registrations.

What if a kid simply moves areas with his family? What if can't get a game at Pennoe, St George or Norths? What if he hates the club? Surely kids can make their own choices....

If there were money involved it would be a clear restraint of trade. In football terms it is clearly dumb, unnecesarry and an outright insult to 16 year olds that somehow some dumb-a$$ed bureacrat can somehow tell him where he is to play football when he actually pays for the privilege.

If this is the best that the NSWAFL can do in regards to junior development then heaven help us.......

And I have no direct affilition with Sydney Uni btw...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast