Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Kirky's Guernsey Presentation Speech as reported by Rebecca Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by goswannie14 View Post
    For some.
    The team.

[QUOTE=Wardy;468890] its just footy! /QUOTE]

What a thing to say. What a terrible thing to say. You'd better not mean that or there'll be trouble.

[QUOTE=Bloods05;468928]
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    its just footy! /QUOTE]

What a thing to say. What a terrible thing to say. You'd better not mean that or there'll be trouble.
    I know its out there isnt it??? Whilst I really do love my footy, there is a heap of other @@@@ out there in life land that is a bit more important. Sad but true!
    I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..................
    Chickens drink - but they don't pee!
    AGE IS ONLY IMPORTANT FOR TWO THINGS - WINE & CHEESE!

Being a supporter means a suspension of disbelief. I'm happy for Kirk to be making stirring corny speeches to the team if that's what it takes to build the Bloods culture.

If someone made the same speech at my workplace....
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post
    Being a supporter means a suspension of disbelief. I'm happy for Kirk to be making stirring corny speeches to the team if that's what it takes to build the Bloods culture.

And at the end of the day its still only footy!!! If one of my bosses here came out with that dribble, and did what Kirk does - he would be laughed out the door. They should just get out there and get on with it.

I'm keen to see what happens when Roos & Kirk retire.
    I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..................
    Chickens drink - but they don't pee!
    AGE IS ONLY IMPORTANT FOR TWO THINGS - WINE & CHEESE!

Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post

Give that man a trophy!

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyAkkuret View Post
    That's true, it that context it is obviously more appropriate but I guess for me personally it's a little abstract and doesn't all connect. I have a lot of respect for Kirk and the way he's helped build such an aura around the Swans, it doesn't mean I necessarily have to agree with his choice of words but I know where he's coming from.
    He's a footballer - not a diplomat.

He had a point to make and he made it. As we know he always wears his heart on his sleeve, and I wouldn't expect him to make his point in any other way, off field and on.

The context is everything and the fact he received a standing ovation at the end says all that needs to be said.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Hell View Post
    He's a footballer - not a diplomat.

He had a point to make and he made it. As we know he always wears his heart on his sleeve, and I wouldn't expect him to make his point in any other way, off field and on.

The context is everything and the fact he received a standing ovation at the end says all that needs to be said.
    Agree. What are the alternatives? A flat nothing speech as we move down the order of business? A jokey let's-not-take-this-seriously speech? Of course there are understated ways of saying the same thing, but that wouldn't be in character. I think it's OK where it is, which is not in your average workplace.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

I am really really sorry that I posted this. It was done in good faith.

It was asked for, and next time someone asks for a bit of text I shall forward it to private messages. This was supposed to be enjoyable, and bar a few of you, it has just been a major piss take.

We are talking about a speech made to die hard Swans Supporters and Players at a Geunsey Presentation Night. It was greatly appreciated on the night that the Captain the of Sydney Swans Football Club spoke with passion and commitment. I thought that was what we wanted from the boys.

I apologise to Brett and I apologise to Rebecca. Never again.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

On the Rookie List swans_premiers's Avatar
    Seems people that don't have passion for their work can't relate to this. Footy means so much to so many people, I'm glad our club takes it seriously.
    Adam Goodes: Rising Star 99, Brownlow 2003, 2006
    Swans Premiers 1909, 1918,1933,2005, 2012

Senior Player
    It was I that asked Primmy..there is nothing for you to feel bad about. People are entitled to take the piss if they wish, but I understand the depth of feeling that most of the players have for their team.
    Kirk is their leader..he knows how to read them better than anyone on here...and I mean anyone! And his score is on the board, a premiership for one, and a reputation that nothing will ever diminish as a leader.
    Of course, Wilson is a journo and is, ipso facto, hardened to criticism. (even if , as in this case, it is totally undeserved).
    So post whatever you wish Prim, you do us all a service.. Thankyou.

I don't think we need the "if you don't have passion you can't relate" and "well everyone clapped so /discussion" type comments. We're all here to express an opinion, I never said the entire speech was OTT but some parts of it just didn't sit well with me. My passion shouldn't be judged just because I don't agree with every single aspect of Kirk's speech, and just because it was applauded it doesn't mean it has to be universally endorsed without any conflicting views.

I'm sure 99.5% of us love Kirk and what he means to the club, but maybe that speech just isn't for everyone. I enjoyed it for the most part, except for a few contradictions and the secret society part.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast