Thread: Advantage to bigger clubs

Regular in the Side

Advantage to bigger clubs

Is it fair that the supposedly bigger clubs crowd-wise don't have to play at Skilled Stadium?

Essendon hasn't played there since the early 90's, Collingwood the late 90's. Interstate teams with smaller crowds and the lesser lights in Victoria are almost assured a loss a year playing down there.

I may be wrong, but I don't think Hawthorn have played there for a while.

Is it all about the money and not fairness of the draw?

Quote Originally Posted by Margie View Post
    Is it fair that the supposedly bigger clubs crowd-wise don't have to play at Skilled Stadium?

Essendon hasn't played there since the early 90's, Collingwood the late 90's. Interstate teams with smaller crowds and the lesser lights in Victoria are almost assured a loss a year playing down there.

I may be wrong, but I don't think Hawthorn have played there for a while.

Is it all about the money and not fairness of the draw?
    You're spot on. I was thinking about it at the ground today - how long has it been since Collingwood have played there? Round 15, 1999 to be precise, a game they lost.

Essendon last played there in 1993, again, a game they lost. Carlton - 1997, again, they lost. The Saints last played there in 2004 (lost) and Hawthorn in 2006 (won).

This is another example of how the draw isn't really fair.

I think we should ask to play Geelong at either Etihad or the MCG next time we play them in Melbourne.

Is it fair? Probably not but who really cares and nothing is going to change. There could be hundreds of, 'Is it fair?' scenarios we could discuss but it won't change anything!

*Is it fair that interstate sides have to ravel insterstate nearly every 2nd week?
    * Is it fair that some sides always get to play in perfect conditions at Etihad Stadium?

We just need to accept these things and control the things we can.
    Swannies for life!

You guys are joking. Have a think about what your saying.

Skilled Stadium is Geelongs home ground, yet you think it is unfair that we play them there??

The reason the likes of Collingwood don't play there is purely financial. I'm sure if it wasn't the case, Geelong would love to tear Collingwood a new one 'Down at Kardinia Park'.

It's like Richmond/Freo etc. complaining because we play them at the SCG where we dominate, but Collingwood get to pull our pants down at Homebush year in, year out.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    Is it fair? Probably not but who really cares and nothing is going to change. There could be hundreds of, 'Is it fair?' scenarios we could discuss but it won't change anything!

*Is it fair that interstate sides have to ravel insterstate nearly every 2nd week?
    * Is it fair that some sides always get to play in perfect conditions at Etihad Stadium?

We just need to accept these things and control the things we can.
    Are you a psychologist? This is what I listen to in group sessions and counselling 3 times a week. I could have saved a fortune
    "The Dog days are over, The Dog days are gone" Florence and the Machine

You could also ask Is it fair that the cats don't get to play finals at their home ground, yet every other team in the comp does?

Melbourne clubs that play at the MCG and Docklands could argue that they only get a home ground advantage against the interstate clubs whilst the Interstate clubs get 11 genuine home matches. Rarely in life is anything fair so people, get over it.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

there are things that bother me more than having to play geelong at skilled. We could of played geelong in a pool of lava yesterday and wouldnt of made a difference.
    Theres not much left to say

Quote Originally Posted by swansrule100 View Post
    there are things that bother me more than having to play geelong at skilled. We could of played geelong in a pool of lava yesterday and wouldnt of made a difference.
    Yep