Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Round 9 Fixtures, Tips & Pre-Match Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by tara View Post
    BMR you know my thoughts on Rosedale I always want to get a game but after last week we turned the centre into a mud bath (wicket only) whilst the rest of the ground was perfect. The council closed first thing this morning and I was there last night when it was torrential - half 3/4 of our ground would have been perfect but with the conditions I can tell you I wouldnt have played there if we had the option for the only reason that we would have been liable for damages and that would send us broke. My brother in law lives 500m from Greygums where the game was scheduled and from what he said it would have been under water - literally. I agree time have changed frmo when I was a kid and it was unheard of but this weather is somewhat unusual so given that at least PD will go ahead so thats something. I also know that had Penrith thought they could stage a game they would have - I was telling my blokes it was off at 2pm which is a pain in the arse.

Something else to consider is insurance - I broke a vertebrae at Greygums in 98 on a sprinkler head in muddy conditions - Id play in any conditions but what if that happened in PD - what protection would a player have if injured and an insurance company renegged becuase a club allowed games to go ahead.

Times have changed and there unfortunately is nothing we can do.

Lets hope it doesnt have a big impact on our season overall.
    Yes, we were quite desperate to play today at Greygums. Only had one round with all three teams playing there this season which is having an affect on our takings (Especially only cherging $2 for pies). Council now allows our club to make the call and despite the fact that GG's is a very ordinary field with no cricket pitch, it was flooded and dangerous to attempt to play on after the Thursday night (33mm) and Friday deluge. Personally, I think the Rams should move to Warragamba, just down the road. Never seems to rain there Just hoping we get better weather next week so the draw can get back on track. Thanks to Tara for not trying to transfer the game to Rosedale. Our boys would have been to busy admiring the ground and would have forgotten what they were there for !

North Shore
    St George
    Sydney University
    Western Suburbs
    East Coast Eagles
    The only All Australian captain charged with glassing

Commentary Team Captain BeeEmmAre's Avatar
    Obviously being in England, I have no idea how bad the rain has been, apart from having an idea that it has been coming down for two weeks or more?

I know times have changed with insurance and all that @@@@, which is 10% the fault of soft cocks who won't take responsibility for their own actions sueing as soon as something goes wrong when they're being idiots (not talking football here - an example is the twat who dived into a sandbar at the beach in Sydney several years ago and broke his neck) and 90% the fault of moron judges actually deciding in favour of the idiot. That forces insurance premiums up, and makes more people readily keen to sue, regardless of whose fault it is, with lawyers licking their lips at finding every legal loophole they can to win a case that surely even they know should not be won. Please no one bring up the that terrible three word saying that comes up on here all the time, because what I just said would be the same argument.

An exposed sprinkler head is dangerous regardless of whether it is wet or dry and that's another issue Colesy - was it the conditions that forced you to hit it?
    I saw a player in the Ovens and Murray league at the Wangaratta Showgrounds - the best or second best ground in the best country league in Victoria - need a knee reconstruction because he was bumped and his knee was sliced open on an exposed sprinkler head - in perfect conditions.
    I come from the country (admittedly it rarely rains out there any more) and football always was and still is played on any ground in any conditions at the set time, so I would personally still say play regardless of weather or conditions.
    Hell, in England we played cricket last week on a ground many Sydney Councils wouldn't let us play footy on, and it was still raining!

One last question on the subject - how many clubs will lose significant numbers of players on the long weekend to pre-arranged trips that would have otherwise been available today?

On another note, it seems the sleeping purple giant may have awoken?
    "It's up to the rest of the players in the room to make a new batch of premiership players next year," Adam Goodes, triple Bob Skilton Medallist, October 7, 2011.

YOU BETCHA!!!!!!

Almost Football Legend
    Premier Division winners in Round 9 were Sydney Uni, Pennant Hills, Wests, East Coast and Balmain.

This week's RWO Wrap is online, featuring pics and a match review from the Campbelltown v Sydney Uni match.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

Senior Player
    Be interesting to see what happens for the rest of the round - Could it be the first time in a long time all the remaining games will have two central umpires? - At this stage there are 20 central umpires who could be available as well as another 12 boundary and 12 goal umps - I guess we will soon see how much the umpiring heirachy actually care about the game in Sydney overall.

Or maybe they have a life as well and have planned a break like the rest of us.....

By the way..... This forum sucks when the Dockers and the Eagles arre winning......

snoooorrrrreeee.........

Do the Gong have any more players left? Massive exodus to South Coast FL over the last few months. A shame, that would be a decent feeder league to the Lions.

WOLLONGONG South Coast AFL Ainsworth, Brad Approved 04/06/10 04/06/10
    WOLLONGONG South Coast AFL Boom, Simon Approved 24/04/10 30/04/10
    WOLLONGONG South Coast AFL Bown, Harry Approved 08/04/10 19/04/10
    WOLLONGONG South Coast AFL Bresser, Mitchell Approved 15/04/10 15/04/10
    WOLLONGONG South Coast AFL Brunton, Matthew Approved 17/03/10 22/03/10
    WOLLONGONG South Coast AFL Collyer, Jade Approved 14/05/10 14/05/10
    WOLLONGONG South Coast AFL Condon, Kevin Approved 11/04/10 16/04/10
    WOLLONGONG South Coast AFL Cook, Chris Approved 04/06/10 04/06/10
    WOLLONGONG South Coast AFL David, Fred Approved 14/04/10 16/04/10
    WOLLONGONG South Coast AFL Evans, Jake Approved 03/03/10 12/03/10
    WOLLONGONG South Coast AFL Faulkner, Michael Approved 26/03/10 30/03/10
    WOLLONGONG South Coast AFL Gardner, David Approved 22/05/10 22/05/10
    WOLLONGONG South Coast AFL Jackson, Aaron Approved 08/04/10 15/04/10
    WOLLONGONG South Coast AFL Koop, Dylan Approved 14/05/10 14/05/10
    WOLLONGONG South Coast AFL Lloyd, Peter Approved 22/04/10 23/04/10
    WOLLONGONG South Coast AFL Mansur, Chad Approved 08/04/10 08/04/10
    WOLLONGONG South Coast AFL Mason, Joshua Approved 07/04/10 08/04/10
    WOLLONGONG South Coast AFL Mcentee, Patrick Approved 07/04/10 08/04/10
    WOLLONGONG South Coast AFL Morgan, Matthew Approved 29/04/10 29/04/10
    WOLLONGONG South Coast AFL Pelda, Michael Approved 03/03/10 12/03/10
    WOLLONGONG South Coast AFL Perger, Alex Approved 08/04/10 15/04/10
    WOLLONGONG South Coast AFL Potter, Brendan Approved 30/03/10 08/04/10
    WOLLONGONG South Coast AFL Prout, Kyle Approved 15/04/10 16/04/10
    WOLLONGONG South Coast AFL Quinn, James Approved 08/04/10 08/04/10
    WOLLONGONG South Coast AFL Smith, Jesse Approved 08/04/10 08/04/10
    WOLLONGONG South Coast AFL Starr, James Approved 14/04/10 19/04/10
    NOR-WEST South Coast AFL Stewart, Ewan Approved 12/04/10 15/04/10
    WOLLONGONG South Coast AFL Veerhuis, Peter Approved 04/06/10 04/06/10
    WOLLONGONG South Coast AFL Wells, Ryan Approved 05/06/10 05/06/10
    WOLLONGONG South Coast AFL Wilson, Lewis Approved 17/03/10 23/03/10

Thats a lot of cattle. Am I missing something?
    Last edited by Pekay; 9th June 2010 at 11:53 AM.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by northernspy View Post
    Or maybe they have a life as well and have planned a break like the rest of us.....

By the way..... This forum sucks when the Dockers and the Eagles arre winning......

snoooorrrrreeee.........
    Why? it was a designated wet weather weekend therefore they should be available.

Quote Originally Posted by Pekay View Post

Thats a lot of cattle. Am I missing something?
    About half those transfers are clearances and the other half are match day permits (ie. if the Lions 2's or 18's have too many players then the guys can still have a game in the SCAFL - SCAFL players can go the other way as well). The number of match day transfers will slow down very soon with school & uni exams/holidays coming up.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by tara View Post
    Why? it was a designated wet weather weekend therefore they should be available.
    Have any of your players booked holidays for the long weekend tara? I know a number of players have, why shouldn't the umpires?

Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    Have any of your players booked holidays for the long weekend tara? I know a number of players have, why shouldn't the umpires?
    I hope plenty of Moorebank players have booked holidays...and non-refundable ones too

Senior Player
    Junior the number of umpires who officiated last week as field umpires represent 40% of the appointments for the entire round yet the games they officated in represent only 20% of total scheduled for play in round 9.

I would imagine that 20% unavailability accross their entire group would be possible - and based on those numbers there should be more than enough to go around.

If most club had 20% of their committed players unavailable then I reckon that most would get by - 40% and I reckon their would be a hell of a lot of forfiets and if not some unexpected losses or lopsided results.

And to answer you SHH have a look at our teamsheet this weekend and that should answer any queries.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast