Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 2011- Promotion & relegation

Quote Originally Posted by tara View Post
    Boomer if your basing what you have seen of us in the two games against ECE then your not really in any position to make any judgement as to what we are like, especially if your basing it upon the last performance. As for making and winning GFs thats too far in the future for me to worry about and given some teams ability to have players materialise from nowhere come finals predicting a premier is anyones guess. We have 5 games left before finals and there is a lot that can happen between now and then so I would rather worry about the home and away first.
    I admit i have prob not seen enough of Moorebank to make any judgement. But from what i have seen they are not as far ahead as everyone thinks. All i have seen of them is two losses and no real sign of any structure or gameplan, and yes they may not have been at full strength, but hey they were still unable to beat a 3rd grade side, which is the 45th player to 67th player in one club... and hey it is very rare that any team is at full strenght, evey team is either missing a few or missing alot of players..

Quote Originally Posted by BOOMERHARVES View Post
    I admit i have prob not seen enough of Moorebank to make any judgement. But from what i have seen they are not as far ahead as everyone thinks. All i have seen of them is two losses and no real sign of any structure or gameplan, and yes they may not have been at full strength, but hey they were still unable to beat a 3rd grade side, which is the 45th player to 67th player in one club... and hey it is very rare that any team is at full strenght, evey team is either missing a few or missing alot of players..
    I hear what your saying big Boom, and you have a point. But that's the negative view. Another view is they're undefeated with all the other teams.
    End of the day the ladder never lies and they've cemented 1st spot with a half dozen games to go, so I suppose you have to admire the ambition to keep growning and honour the promotional stucture. They'll either sink or swim if they take on Div 2. Somewhere in between will be the obvious outcome, only time will tell.
    If they're average age is 21 as stated then good luck to them, might as well keep pushing the bounderies and not look back. It's possible they'll be in the Prem Div in 7 or 8 years I reckon, with GWS, their average age, the population at hand, and they're history. Don't think it'll happen, but if not, then in 15 years time definately. IMO they'll be the next Wests only stronger.

Back to the rest of the clubs in regards to going up and down. The Gong is unique in that they are a team based in a city outside of Sydney wit a large population so going down would be a step backwards for the AFL. But it's obvious they should go down. For they're own sake and player development more than anything.
    They were a dominent team before they came up and earned a lot of respect as an out of towner close unit.
    Now they're the whipping boys who realistically just don't cut it in the Premier Division. Which is a shame because they've done everything right off the pitch with the pitch upgrade and some very close results which shows their determination to succeed, but it's been about 5 consecutive years now where they've been in the bottom 2 or 3.
    I admire them for their grit but with ressies now at the bottom they just seem like they've got no potential whatsoever to compete in Prem & Div 1 in the future. Maybe I'm wrong? but another 5 years of these defeats week in week out could weaken the club. Can't see them making finals in the Prem any time soon, in fact ever. And it's not a case of giving up, but more a case of being competitive while AFL is still fragile in Sydney.
    A granny is still a granny, whether it's Prem or Div 1 - 4.

The rest of the divisional structure is pretty sound for me. Although I strongly believe in promotion/regulation, I completely disagree with moving Balmain, UNSW/ES. Some clubs will always struggle but the've got obvious potential and could strengthen a lot in 2 years.

Senior Player
    Ken / Boomer we arnt the ones that are talking about going up you guys are and Boomer ask Trevor Hangan my thoughts on our game the other week, I was pretty clear we were up @@@@ creek on the day with 13 of our starting 18 out and of those 13 8 would be making up the top ten positions in our B&F this year. Add to that the only two guys on the bench to hadnt played football this year and if you want to inlcude the third bloke sitting there, that was me and I was only taking the field if it was an emergency.

Ken / Boomer we arnt the ones that are talking about going up you guys are .....
    It's a forum called 2011 promotion - relegation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Oath View Post
    .. a bit too cliche.

But hopefully your team won't choke like Nor West.
    Hope you feel better now you've got that out handsome.

Quote Originally Posted by Pekay View Post
    Hope you feel better now you've got that out handsome.
    Rodger that Pete. Anything for a rise. Too soon?

Ken / Boomer we arnt the ones that are talking about going up you guys are and Boomer ask Trevor Hangan my thoughts on our game the other week, I was pretty clear we were up @@@@ creek on the day with 13 of our starting 18 out and of those 13 8 would be making up the top ten positions in our B&F this year. Add to that the only two guys on the bench to hadnt played football this year and if you want to inlcude the third bloke sitting there, that was me and I was only taking the field if it was an emergency.
    Tara it was either goin to be you guys up @@@@ creek or ECE up @@@@ creek. Rumours going around was that you guys werent happy that we declined your request to play on the sunday.. Is this true?? If it were to be played on the Sunday then we lose our best 10 to Uni games... I have no doubt Moorebank Sports should be moved into Div 2 but i know for sure they wouldnt be in the top 4.

Kenny Oath is correct also this is the Promotion & Relegation forum for 2011, so im just putting my thoughts out there...

Rodger that Pete. Anything for a rise. Too soon?
    Never too soon, I'd do the same given the chance. Just glad the Power did worse, made me feel better. Marginally.

Quote Originally Posted by Pekay View Post
    Never too soon, I'd do the same given the chance. Just glad the Power did worse, made me feel better. Marginally.
    Too true, too true.

I'll wait with much excitement to see the result of your game this Sat Dee at WarWick farm.

Too true, too true.

I'll wait with much excitement to see the result of your game this Sat Dee at WarWick farm.
    And why is that? We'll hold our own, but have lost a few from last week. Should be back to full strength next week for Auburn though. Looking forward to playing Magpies first though.

Prem/Div 1 - Wollongong to make way for UTS in Premier Division?? Surely it's time for UTS to be promoted! We lost a few of our key players this season to Premier Div clubs and I'd hate to see it happen again. It's fair to say we've earned our spot. We won the Div 1 GF last season by 99pts (undefeated all year) and this year we've struggled a lot with injuries and we are still sitting on top of the ladder with a massive percentage. Wollongong 2s to be demoted to Div 2 also.

Div 2 - Southern Power must go up to Div 1 next year. They are playing very well this season and have deserved their spot. Last season they struggled in the finals after a perfect home and away record, including beating Mac Uni twice (who are currently sitting 2nd in Div 1). For our sake, I hope they do the same this year...SP would be in the top 5 of Div 1

Div 3 - Having seen a little of Moorebank when they've played our 3rds this year, they look a much improved side from last season. If they are able to keep their players it would be great to see them move up to Div 2. Who knows how they will go, but if they finish on top, then they deserve the opportunity to go up and test themselves against better opposition.

Div 4 - Auburn are another that must go up next season. They are killing it in Div 4. Watched a bit of their game last week against our 4ths and they were very good. They would give Div 3 a good shake.

Almost Football Legend
    I can never remember Wollongong running out of players before. Disappointing, but I guess years of being on the bottom few of the ladder is taking its toll. It would be a shame for them to go down - they're a well-managed club, they've got a great facility and in an important area for growing the game; but maybe it would be the best option to help them rebuild. As long as there's some way for them to go back up again when they're ready.
    I tend to agree with UTSBatman - UTS are probably ready to go up, and would be more than competitive in Premier Division. Trumper Park isn't really up to standard as a Premier Division ground - but with Wests moving back to Picken Oval next year, maybe UTS could look at taking over Henson as their home ground.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty