Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Rd 17, 2010 Demons V Swans Pre-Game Discussion (with Teams)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    I honestly cant remember the last time we played the Demons in Melbourne.

Must be some time ago?
    Rnd 19, 2006 (12, aug). MCG
    Swans 95-63.

A young H Grundy, played his 4th game.

Back to Shaw. The commentators on Ch 7 were saying that the forward can push the defender in the back as long as it is with the forearms or/and (unsure) with fists, not open hands. Is that right ? Makes it sound much easier to get rid of your opponent. And if so, why don't they all do that ? I thought Shaw did that several times with no free against so maybe it is right. Yes, I am naive.

Quote Originally Posted by Margo View Post
    Back to Shaw. The commentators on Ch 7 were saying that the forward can push the defender in the back as long as it is with the forearms or/and (unsure) with fists, not open hands. Is that right ? Makes it sound much easier to get rid of your opponent. And if so, why don't they all do that ? I thought Shaw did that several times with no free against so maybe it is right. Yes, I am naive.
    Margo, it is such a grey area.

The general current interpretation appears to be you can't actually 'push' regardless of whether you use hands or forearm, but you can sort of hold your position by placing a forearm firmly in their back to stop them pushing back but you cannot place your hands in their back to stop them coming back.

Of course, that is this weeks interpretation and next weeks may be entirely different.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    Margo, it is such a grey area.

The general current interpretation appears to be you can't actually 'push' regardless of whether you use hands or forearm, but you can sort of hold your position by placing a forearm firmly in their back to stop them pushing back but you cannot place your hands in their back to stop them coming back.

Of course, that is this weeks interpretation and next weeks may be entirely different.
    That seems to be the current position. Mind you, on Sunday a couple of times Shaw used his body sideways to knock the defender out of the way, which (I understand) is perfectly OK.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Warming the Bench
    Any news on Bevan? Looked like a pretty nasty knock on his shoulder and he couldn't shake hands with his right fter the game.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    That seems to be the current position. Mind you, on Sunday a couple of times Shaw used his body sideways to knock the defender out of the way, which (I understand) is perfectly OK.
    Any action where the opponent is unfairly prevented from competing for a mark is meant to be against the rules, though there is inconsistency in application. The umpires seem to use a "one motion" / "two motion" criterion to distinguish, although again not entirely consistently. I thought Rhys' mark was OK because he used his arm to launch himself backwards to take the mark and didn't really push his opponent forward per se.

If you watch the mark which Eddie took coming in from the side in the Blues' goal square, you will see a Swan (Mattner I think) clearly being pushed off balance as the ball was arriving, not by Betts but by another Blue. Whether Mattner could have effected a spoil had he not been pushed out of the way is debateable, but was definitely a clear push and softer ones have been paid. (Not that I am claiming we were hard done by overall - we weren't.)

On the Rookie List
    I think if Sydney enter this game with complete respect for the Demons, then the lift should get the Swans the chocolates. There are many teams this year that have paid no heed to the Demons and gotten jumped or just beaten because they do have heart and play with great enthusiasm and free-wheeling ways.

It's encumbant upon the Swans to teach the young Demons the meaning of pressure and accountability the hard way, I think a 45 point loss should do the trick.
    The Pain of Discipline is Nothing Like The Pain of Disappointment

would be good to see both Jettas play

Bringing 9 other staff members down from Sydney (most Leagies) for a footy (lads) weekend in Melbourne. Each has brought a Swannies Polo which has been embroided to remember the weekend. Just hope we win!
    Swannies for life!

Sir Ashmole Gruntbucket hot potato's Avatar
    I certainly will be hoping for a good win. My Sydney neighbour is a very bizarre Demons fan and wears his Demons tie every day. If they win he will be out watering his lawn every day when I drive off to work.
    Go Swans.

HP
    "He was proud of us when we won and he was still proud of us when we lost' Tami Roos about Paul Sept 06.

I was having a think. You know I bitch and moan about how the melbourne media concentrate on victorian teams and nothing much north or west of their borders until I considered this particular game and realised that I know almost nothing about Melbourne. Did some back calculation and it looks like the media ignore Melbourne as well as Sydney.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    I was having a think. You know I bitch and moan about how the melbourne media concentrate on victorian teams and nothing much north or west of their borders until I considered this particular game and realised that I know almost nothing about Melbourne. Did some back calculation and it looks like the media ignore Melbourne as well as Sydney.

The few supporters they have are all in their Range Rovers heading up to the snow. Feature articles regarding Melbourne won't sell many papers.
    We will quite possibly outnumber them on sunday like we did V North
    Last edited by aardvark; 21st July 2010 at 11:31 AM.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast