Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: News Headlines 2015

Senior Player

News Headlines 2015

"Bad Numbers Force GWS & Swans To Merge"

Discuss
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Swans crush Pies at ANZ stadium
    Last edited by sWAns63; 29th July 2010 at 04:15 PM.

How about something positive, eh?

"AA Beckons for Jack Brothers"
    "Swans of a Feather Flock Together as Mitchell and Hannebery share Brownlow"
    "Merry Meredith Takes Home Skilton"
    "White Pips Johnston for Coleman"
    "Veszpremi claims Norm Smith as Swans Storm Home Over Cross Town Rivals"
    "Special Swans Make it Three In A Row"
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Longmire annoints Kirk as successor

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by BSA5 View Post
    How about something positive, eh?

"AA Beckons for Jack Brothers"
    "Swans of a Feather Flock Together as Mitchell and Hannebery share Brownlow"
    "Merry Meredith Takes Home Skilton"
    "White Pips Johnston for Coleman"
    "Veszpremi claims Norm Smith as Swans Storm Home Over Cross Town Rivals"
    "Special Swans Make it Three In A Row"
    "Merged Sydney Team Cruises to 2016 Premiership"

Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post
    "Merged Sydney Team Cruises to 2016 Premiership"
    .....why?
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by BSA5 View Post
    .....why?
    I am trying to get a serious discussion going on the topic. I don't recall on this board serious looked at how the numbers are going to work for GWS. What is their membership going to be? what is their existence going to do to the Swans? Its a bit like the global finacial crisis. If you don't talk about the looming disaster it will go away. Well it won't ! It is a crock! The decision was made beofre the Global Financial Crisis, what if their is a double dip? What is it going to mean for sponsorship? How much is the AFL going to throw at them, and the Swans, to make inroads? Where are the Swans going to grow their membership and how? Thought it might be an interesting discussion. In actual fact I think a merger would be a real possibility down the track. I'm Interested in the thoughts of others.

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by sWAns63 View Post
    Swans crush Pies at ANZ stadium
    Nah, swans crush pies at SCG! Surely we wont be still playing games at ANZ stadium by then.

I am trying to get a serious discussion going on the topic. I don't recall on this board serious looked at how the numbers are going to work for GWS. What is their membership going to be? what is their existence going to do to the Swans? Its a bit like the global finacial crisis. If you don't talk about the looming disaster it will go away. Well it won't ! It is a crock! The decision was made beofre the Global Financial Crisis, what if their is a double dip? What is it going to mean for sponsorship? How much is the AFL going to throw at them, and the Swans, to make inroads? Where are the Swans going to grow their membership and how? Thought it might be an interesting discussion. In actual fact I think a merger would be a real possibility down the track. I'm Interested in the thoughts of others.
    I assume the GWS membership would be made up of ex and current Sydney Swans Supportors and ex other AFL club supportors and a minor degree of new supportors

"Bad Numbers Force GWS & Swans To Merge"

Discuss
    Will never happen. The AFL would rather push a Victorian team to merge with them ala Brisbane and Fitzroy. My money is on one of GC17 and GWS floundering and merging with North Melbourne. The other will survive on it's own and the 18th team licence will go to Tasmania.

You heard it here first.
    Last edited by laughingnome; 29th July 2010 at 04:55 PM. Reason: damn my spelling
    10100111001 ;-)

The one thing that isn't going to happen is GWS will merge with Sydney.

THe AFL has set aside $200m for Gold Coast and GWS development - that's aside from their own sponsorships and fundraisings.

Plus the whole point of the exercise is to build cross-town rivalry. That's what will draw crowds and sponsorships. THe AFL is not going to spend its money in western Sydney- where 10% of Australians live - and then fold its tent.

Of course, if you believe Matty Rendell, the Crows' recruiting manager, Gold Coast and GWS are going to win every flag between 2015-25 thanks to the high draft picks.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post
    The one thing that isn't going to happen is GWS will merge with Sydney.

THe AFL has set aside $200m for Gold Coast and GWS development - that's aside from their own sponsorships and fundraisings.

Plus the whole point of the exercise is to build cross-town rivalry. That's what will draw crowds and sponsorships. THe AFL is not going to spend its money in western Sydney- where 10% of Australians live - and then fold its tent.

Of course, if you believe Matty Rendell, the Crows' recruiting manager, Gold Coast and GWS are going to win every flag between 2015-25 thanks to the high draft picks.
    You just can't make a rivalry it takes a long time create that for example the hatred between Port adelaide & Adelaide goes back a long way from when Adelaide were given AFL status ahead of Port, Bickley breaking Lades jaw etc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast