Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Swans the new Richmond

very harsh. we're going to play finals footy. we are definitly not the new Richmond.

anyone else think ponting should retire?
    Theres not much left to say

Quote Originally Posted by laughingnome View Post
    So which is it? Are we floundering or slowly rising?
    Ok I think we are slowly rising but I also think we have put back our redevelopment this year by attempting to play finals one more time for Roosy. The Kids that some whinge about missing out each week like Vez TDL Mod LJ Reid and Currie will have to play eventually along with Rohan Jetta and Smith.
    I understand the argument for not dropping Kirk ect. Its the fringe players I have a problem with like Ted, Shaw,Mattner,Bevo,Moore ect. If the younger group had played ahead of them we would have lost more games but started their development and gained a higher Draft pick next year. There will still be plenty of good players at Pick 4,6,8,10 ect. So in the end we sacrifice developing our future team and a higher draft pick for the sake of maybe playing one final. People argue that the finals experience is good for the "Kids" but if we make it how many of them will play?

Quote Originally Posted by swansrule100 View Post
    anyone else think ponting should retire?
    Yep

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Ok I think we are slowly rising but I also think we have put back our redevelopment this year by attempting to play finals one more time for Roosy. The Kids that some whinge about missing out each week like Vez TDL Mod LJ Reid and Currie will have to play eventually along with Rohan Jetta and Smith.
    I understand the argument for not dropping Kirk ect. Its the fringe players I have a problem with like Ted, Shaw,Mattner,Bevo,Moore ect. If the younger group had played ahead of them we would have lost more games but started their development and gained a higher Draft pick next year. There will still be plenty of good players at Pick 4,6,8,10 ect. So in the end we sacrifice developing our future team and a higher draft pick for the sake of maybe playing one final. People argue that the finals experience is good for the "Kids" but if we make it how many of them will play?
    If second in our B&F is "fringe", what do you have to do to earn a spot? And do you really think any of the reserves you mention would have contributed more over the season than Kirk, who has dropped to just 6th this season for AFL tackles?

And, personally, I think Moore does straighten up our forward line, they just didn't have much to do yesterday so he was largely surplus to requirements.

On the Rookie List
    I think with our current recruiting policy there's a fair chance we could finish 9th for the next 5 years+.
    Teams that win premierships bottom out first.
    Aaaahh not sure what your on, but a certain team nearly went back to back premiership winners in 05-06 without ever bottoming out.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    If second in our B&F is "fringe", what do you have to do to earn a spot? And do you really think any of the reserves you mention would have contributed more over the season than Kirk, who has dropped to just 6th this season for AFL tackles?

And, personally, I think Moore does straighten up our forward line, they just didn't have much to do yesterday so he was largely surplus to requirements.
    Read the post properly, I'm not talking about yesterday and i didn't say anything about dropping kirk. and IMO Shaw has been a disaster zone all year except maybe against Carlton.

Quote Originally Posted by msb View Post
    Aaaahh not sure what your on, but a certain team nearly went back to back premiership winners in 05-06 without ever bottoming out.
    Cant argue with you there

Veterans List
    Read the post properly, I'm not talking about yesterday and i didn't say anything about dropping kirk. and IMO Shaw has been a disaster zone all year except maybe against Carlton.
    Its the fringe players I have a problem with like Ted, Shaw,Mattner,Bevo,Moore ect.
    I understand the argument for not dropping Kirk ect.
    I think I read it properly. I simply disputed that Shaw can be regarded as a fringe player - any more than Goodes or Kennelly can be said to be "fringe"when they are playing like crap. And your implication is that Kirk has a role to play even if he doesn't deserve to be in the team on merit. I was counter-arguing that Kirk is in our best 22.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    I think I read it properly. I simply disputed that Shaw can be regarded as a fringe player - any more than Goodes or Kennelly can be said to be "fringe"when they are playing like crap. And your implication is that Kirk has a role to play even if he doesn't deserve to be in the team on merit. I was counter-arguing that Kirk is in our best 22.
    The post is not about individual players its about the direction taken by club this year and into the future as opposed to the direction I believe they should have taken. I respect your feelings re Kirk and Shaw but they're not relevant to the overall discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    I for one prefer the teams that I follow to do their best to win every week. I also accept that at certain times the teams that I follow are not necessarily the greatest and I have learned to accept the good with the bad. I also know that teams can have off days and when playing against a team that is 'on' can sometimes result in a flogging. That happened yesterday but I'm not going to sook about a spoilt baby about it.

I think we are a better team, and have more heart, to string too many performances like yesterday's together. I would much rather see a team have a go, and not do particularly well, rather than tank thanks very much...
    Ahhh, at last something worth reading amidst the doom and gloom. Thank you Jono

The post is not about individual players its about the direction taken by club this year and into the future as opposed to the direction I believe they should have taken. I respect your feelings re Kirk and Shaw but they're not relevant to the overall discussion.
    You named said players so therefore they are relevant to the discussion.

At least Richmond can beat teams above themselves on the ladder!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast