Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: R19, AFL 2010 Swans V Hawks: Pre-game discussion

Not looking forward to losing again.
    Oh well .. at least it'll be a HUGE surprise if we win.

Is anyone else going to the 14/20/25 year membership function before the game??
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Roos gave White a fair whack after the game, so he may well be a candidate for the axe.

LRT said on Sat night that he should be ok for this week.

After calling for no changes last week, I would do the following this week:

In: LRT, Smith, Vez, Johnston
    Out: Meredith, Bevan, Shaw, White

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Donners View Post
    Roos gave White a fair whack after the game, so he may well be a candidate for the axe.
    Or the reverse? We really need Jesse to step up and he only does in patches. No wonder Roos is frustrated. I wonder if he'll stay this week but get a new support in TDL (or LJ)? Goodes kicking for goal suggests he's coaching Jets so I'd much rather him in the midfield while we try another way to score goals (rather than points).

How good will it be to have LRT back? So many potential Swans' goals were touched on the line by the Cats and we needed LRT doing the same at the other end of the ground.

I have to be in Singapore this weekend.

/checks Australian Network
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    How good will it be to have LRT back?
    The Cats fan I sat next to on Sat night was insistent that LRT only got a game as his old man paid the club to ensure he got a spot.

$1.2 mill/year

W.T.F??

She was good value apart from that madness.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by CJK View Post
    I have to be in Singapore this weekend.

/checks Australian Network
    Confirmed! Midday! \o/
    -

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by CJK View Post
    The Cats fan I sat next to on Sat night was insistent that LRT only got a game as his old man paid the club to ensure he got a spot.

$1.2 mill/year

W.T.F??

She was good value apart from that madness.
    To keep the conspiracy going, I bough raffle tickets at the Blues AM from LRT's sister - only looks like him in a good way. Sophie? But yes, The RTs have been big supporters of the club.

But anyone who watched the past 2 weeks and didn't wish for LRT to be out there isn't following the game.

The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    To keep the conspiracy going, I bough raffle tickets at the Blues AM from LRT's sister - only looks like him in a good way. Sophie? But yes, The RTs have been big supporters of the club.

But anyone who watched the past 2 weeks and didn't wish for LRT to be out there isn't following the game.
    I'll bite for the sake of it. (And this is a little tongue in cheek - lets be clear he wouldn't have done much worse)

But exactly which tall forward killed us the last two weeks ? Would things have been better if LRT played on green ? played on Johnson ? Ablett ? Wonamierri ? Are we saying he would have floated across packs to take marks from the incredibly poor delivery over the past two weeks to packs of players ? Who could he have zoned off on ?

Again structurally he is important as the cascading effect of having richards play on a tall (and fwiw I think he beat mooney on sat night and i don't think grundy was beaten either) means that richards (who plays loose better than anyone else in our team) was forced to play tight which meant that each subsequent small defender was caught playing on a slightly better forward without any meaningful support.

the reality is that our defeats this season have not been due to our poor defenders with the possible exception of some of the comedy of errors in the st kilda game and the first geelong game. So I'm not critical of LRT's games (although he has been at times well beaten by hall, riewoldt).

LRT would have made almost no difference on sat night and little enough difference against melbourne. The problem starts in the poor structures in the forward line meaning that the ball comes back frighteningly fast without any opposition and a midfield that has been crushed too often (and on sat night with appalling kicking at goal which prevented us applying any scoreboard pressure and exacerbated their scoring prowess to half-time).

LRT tries hard and has his strong defenders on this website and elsewhere but make anythign other than a marginal difference - nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Donners View Post
    As has happened a few times now White has been recalled to the seniors far to quickly. It's a combination of injuries and getting carried away with flattering reserves form (he kicked a bag about a month ago but it's certainly wasn't due to where he was leading).

Clearly he needs to go back to the 2s and be closely coached on where to lead. Any goals he kicks from pack marks in Canberra should be discounted because it simply doesn't happen consistently at AFL level - to any forward. When he kicks a bag as a result of marks taken from good leads then he should come back in.

Frankly I see no reason why Johnston shouldn't play this week in place of White. As a leading forward his lighter frame should be less of an issue.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbournehammer View Post
    I'll bite for the sake of it. (And this is a little tongue in cheek - lets be clear he wouldn't have done much worse)

But exactly which tall forward killed us the last two weeks ? Would things have been better if LRT played on green ? played on Johnson ? Ablett ? Wonamierri ? Are we saying he would have floated across packs to take marks from the incredibly poor delivery over the past two weeks to packs of players ? Who could he have zoned off on ?

Again structurally he is important as the cascading effect of having richards play on a tall (and fwiw I think he beat mooney on sat night and i don't think grundy was beaten either) means that richards (who plays loose better than anyone else in our team) was forced to play tight which meant that each subsequent small defender was caught playing on a slightly better forward without any meaningful support.

the reality is that our defeats this season have not been due to our poor defenders with the possible exception of some of the comedy of errors in the st kilda game and the first geelong game. So I'm not critical of LRT's games (although he has been at times well beaten by hall, riewoldt).

LRT would have made almost no difference on sat night and little enough difference against melbourne. The problem starts in the poor structures in the forward line meaning that the ball comes back frighteningly fast without any opposition and a midfield that has been crushed too often (and on sat night with appalling kicking at goal which prevented us applying any scoreboard pressure and exacerbated their scoring prowess to half-time).

LRT tries hard and has his strong defenders on this website and elsewhere but make anythign other than a marginal difference - nope.
    The point I was making was not just his role playing on a tall forward but as an invaluable final line of defence. Much of this year we've seen LRT take one saving mark after another (or there's been a point scored off his hands) after our midfield broke down so the ball was heading our way fast. I only saw the game live on Saturday and haven't had the heart to watch the replay but it seemed that at least six of our scoring shots became points when a Cats player got fingers or foot to the ball. At the other end no-one was doing that in the absence of LRT so an exceptional number of their shots were goals.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast