Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: R19, AFL 2010 Swans V Hawks: Pre-game discussion

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by Margo View Post
    First up, I am no expert on the game. However, I want to throw in my 2 bits worth. I am not a HUGE fan of LRTs because of his clangers. (I do concede that his clangers are more noticeable than most). But I did wish he was there on Sat night. We may not have won, but I believe he would have been valuable. He positions himself well and never gives up. I was at the game and watched most players very closely. I wasn't upset at all after the game, felt that most players gave their all, and was really happy to see Jude and Goodes in fantastic form. Not so with Jesse. I too cannot work him out. Is it a confidence thing ? He seems to be "polite" to the opposition. His size (and tatts) look intimidating but he was too often standing around, not bothering anyone. As I said, I am no expert, but does anyone see any value in putting him in defence to see how he goes ? He might see things from the other side, he has the size to bump forwards out of the way, and a good straight kick which may get the ball going forward quicker for us than it is now. He wouldn't have to think about where to lead, just stick with his man. Just a thought.
    Prediction: Jetta will get his long awaited goal this Saturday afternoon. Cannot wait. Bless him. How fast and exciting was that run on Sat night.
    I see no value at all of White in defence and think it would unbalance and upset an area that is functioning well. You don't run a player into form in defence unless you want to lose the game. Ok,the Swans sometimes have tried this I agree but it didn't work. Didn't they play Davis on the 1/2 back flank?Nice spot for our best goal sneak but that was back then!
    I would think they were not thinking of running Ted and Bevan into form when they played Ted and Bevan in the backlines and with Ted it seems to have worked.Bevan??? No. Either way,we are still losing these games .With White back there we would be losing by more.

whats the bet that roughhead will remember how to kick again this week.... we seem to do well at bringing out dormant forwards.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Margo View Post
    First up, I am no expert on the game. However, I want to throw in my 2 bits worth. I am not a HUGE fan of LRTs because of his clangers. (I do concede that his clangers are more noticeable than most). But I did wish he was there on Sat night. We may not have won, but I believe he would have been valuable. He positions himself well and never gives up. I was at the game and watched most players very closely. I wasn't upset at all after the game, felt that most players gave their all, and was really happy to see Jude and Goodes in fantastic form. Not so with Jesse. I too cannot work him out. Is it a confidence thing ? He seems to be "polite" to the opposition. His size (and tatts) look intimidating but he was too often standing around, not bothering anyone. As I said, I am no expert, but does anyone see any value in putting him in defence to see how he goes ? He might see things from the other side, he has the size to bump forwards out of the way, and a good straight kick which may get the ball going forward quicker for us than it is now. He wouldn't have to think about where to lead, just stick with his man. Just a thought.
    Prediction: Jetta will get his long awaited goal this Saturday afternoon. Cannot wait. Bless him. How fast and exciting was that run on Sat night.
    The only time the crowd got really excited was when Jetta took his runs. A goal must come soon!

And I agree with your comments on Jesse - he does seem to "stand around" and would benefit from some expert forward coaching.

Talk of Jetta's run reminds me of something that totally pissed me off on Sat. night when he did it.

He ran about 50m with Varcoe on his hammer. Was it too much to ask of a teammate to come in and take Varcoe out, shephard, scream out 'boo', anything, just get him off Jetstars tail so he can setup for a kick without that intense pressure?

Ffs, it's just good team football, one of the HFF's should have got on his bike and charged towards the contest, letting Jetta know to just keep going and they'll take care of Varcoe.

We have really dropped off on that aspect of our game.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I like Rohan, but for him to be even considered for a recall this week ahead of any of TDL, Vez, Johnston or even Sumner is a bit of a joke, IMO. The guy could barely run on Saturday afternoon.
    Apparently copped a corky during warm-up. Cramping later in the game is a bit of a worry though. Game is on free to air tv here in Vic so looking forward to seeing Jetta finally get a goal or 5.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I like Rohan, but for him to be even considered for a recall this week ahead of any of TDL, Vez, Johnston or even Sumner is a bit of a joke, IMO. The guy could barely run on Saturday afternoon.
    I've seen it happen before with Moore and Bird. They did nothing in the Ressies and looked a little stiff and then came straight back into Seniors. Depends what role they want filled as well. They have played Gary forward and back and TDL, Johnston & Sumner aren't that type of player. I would be surprised if he was picked though. I can't see who he would be replacing?

Totally agree.Meredith has been awful.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by smasher View Post
    Totally agree.Meredith has been awful.
    In his first three games he seems to have been much more of a contributor than MOD was in his one game. I guess that's why he's still getting a game. Leave both in the 2s till sometime next year?

If the Selection panel makes the decision that a young player like Meredith is ready to play seniors they need to leave them in the team for a decent amount of games to settle in, relax and build the confidence to show their worth. Dumping them to the ressies after 1 or 2 games just sets them back and means you have to go through the whole process again next time they are promoted. Like every other player they will have good and not so good games. Jetta is an example of a youngster being given a decent run and in the long run he will be better for it. He would be just wasting time playing Ressies unless he needed a rest.
    Last edited by aardvark; 3rd August 2010 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    If the Selection panel makes the decision that a young player like Meredith is ready to play seniors they need to leave them in the team for a decent amount of games to settle in, relax and build the confidence to show their worth. Dumping them to the ressies after 1 or 2 games just sets them back and means you have to go through the whole process again next time they are promoted. Like every other player they will have good and not so good games. Jetta is an example of a youngster being given a decent run and in the long run he will be better for it. He would be just wasting time playing Ressies unless he needed a rest.
    But Merry started well and he's gone backwards in the past two weeks. Really backwards.
    -

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by CJK View Post
    But Merry started well and he's gone backwards in the past two weeks. Really backwards.
    Strewth, you blokes are tough. Has he really been that bad? I wouldn't have thought so.

The Port forwards put plenty of pressue on the Hawks backs last week, lots of contested marks inside 50. Where's a Henry Playfair when you need him? Maybe Teddy boy goes forward for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by CJK View Post
    Yep, he did look a bit intimidated against Geelong but thats going to happen with youngsters playing against the best. I'm willing to bet he's been kicking himself all week and if he gets the chance this weekend it will be a different story.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast