Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good piece from Kieren about what went wrong against Geelong

Good piece from Kieren about what went wrong against Geelong

pretty well summed up.

I imagine his honestly sessions would be fairly bare boned. Future leader? wouldn't surprise me.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Veterans List
    I think he might be kidding himself a bit about his contest with Selwood - Selwood was just outstanding I thought. Clearly the best young mid in the competition for mine - I'd kill for one of those at the Swans. Who knows, maybe young Dan might be.

I love Kieren but maybe not so much well said by him as well prepared by Roos.
    Superman still wears Brett Kirk Pyjamas

Veterans List
    He was seriously flogged by Selwood. So many times he was acres away from him and at centre clearances Selwood regularly lost him on the other side of the pack. His comment about midfield matchups just about explains our last 4 years of deplorable centre clearance rates. It is matchups, matchups, matchups that never seem to work. What about a few blokes making the ball their object like all good sides do at cemtre bounces.

By the way the Goodes on the ball experiment appears to have been abandoned after 2 successful weeks.

I reckon we give up 3 or 4 goals a week due to our centre clearance trouncing.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkari View Post
    I love Kieren but maybe not so much well said by him as well prepared by Roos.
    IMHO Jack is a far better and creative footballer when he is not tagging. I don't know that Roosey has done him any favours in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    IMHO Jack is a far better and creative footballer when he is not tagging. I don't know that Roosey has done him any favours in that regard.
    I was just talking about his press conference.
    Superman still wears Brett Kirk Pyjamas

A man who does not believe he is beaten is not beaten.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    A man who does not believe he is beaten is not beaten.
    Fight ya weaky..it's only a flesh wound
    "The Dog days are over, The Dog days are gone" Florence and the Machine

[QUOTE=Nico;499712]He was seriously flogged by Selwood. So many times he was acres away from him and at centre clearances Selwood regularly lost him on the other side of the pack. His comment about midfield matchups just about explains our last 4 years of deplorable centre clearance rates. It is matchups, matchups, matchups that never seem to work. What about a few blokes making the ball their object like all good sides do at cemtre bounces.

Agree Nico. Several of our on-ballers have a very defensive mindset. That's fair enough around the ground, to a certain extent, but we often get beaten in the middle because the focus is not on the ball, but on their opponent.

We are often second to the ball because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    He was seriously flogged by Selwood. So many times he was acres away from him and at centre clearances Selwood regularly lost him on the other side of the pack. His comment about midfield matchups just about explains our last 4 years of deplorable centre clearance rates. It is matchups, matchups, matchups that never seem to work. What about a few blokes making the ball their object like all good sides do at cemtre bounces.

By the way the Goodes on the ball experiment appears to have been abandoned after 2 successful weeks.

I reckon we give up 3 or 4 goals a week due to our centre clearance trouncing.
    What were the centre clearance stats? I don't have those particular numbers to compare, but in general, our clearance work on the weekend was pretty good (we basically broke even with Geelong). We certainly didn't get slaughtered by that on the weekend - our big problem was turnovers (where they scored heavily) and our inability to stop Geelong's run (or apply any pressure) when they had the ball, which meant our backs had little help in stopping their forwards. Combine that with our inability to convert, and the tale is told.

I am not saying that this has been the case for the whole year, but I am not sure that it was the big problem on the weekend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast