Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shaw shank redemption

On the Rookie List

Shaw shank redemption

I am a very reluctant critic of individuals in the seniors but Rhys is not performing in his role off half-back anywhere near his 2009 standard.

I actually got nervous at his selection in the 1s on the weekend.

Come game day, his general poor play, terrible decision making and lack of explosive run was on display. Roos was genius to send him up forward in the last quarter. It salvaged a terrible day on the field from Rhys.

Personally, I think he needs a run in the 2s for some confidence. I know it's Etihad and Rhys is quick on his day but he is starting to embarrass himself on the big stage. It's more dignified to go back and play 2 games of high quality, multi-touch footy and then come back a confident player.

Thoughts?
    The Pain of Discipline is Nothing Like The Pain of Disappointment

Won't get dropped, but probably should be.

Veterans List
    Top points for the title.

Shaw was a revelation last year and deservedly almost won our B&F, so to see him playing as badly as he has for most of this season is very dissappointing. Maybe he's home sick?
    Occupational hazards:
    I don't eat animals since discovering this ability. I used to. But one day the lamb I was eating came through to me and ever since then I haven't been able to eat meat.
    - animal psychic Amanda de Warren

In a team that is almost entirely devoid of players that are willing to back themselves, run, bounce and create from nothing he is worth his weight in gold even if his disposal cane be off.

We just don't have enough of these types of players on our list and for that alone he won't be dropped and nor should he be. Especially againt a side this week is suspect to quick ball movement on a ground that will be hard, flat and full of run.

Doubly important that Mattner comes back as well as he is similar.

DST
    "Looking forward to a rebuilt, new, fast and exciting Swans model in 2010"

perhaps shaw is suffering with being unsure of his role, with kennelly back and malceski basically back as well as mattner there isnt always the same spot as last year for shaw. I think at various times all 4 have suffered a bit from the fact we dont need them all in the same team playing the role they all play
    Theres not much left to say

Sir Ashmole Gruntbucket hot potato's Avatar
    From where I sat , he iced the North's game. Leave him in the forward line, he loved it.

HP
    "He was proud of us when we won and he was still proud of us when we lost' Tami Roos about Paul Sept 06.

Thread title of the year.

Maybe Shaw can take Goodes' place in the forward line. I know he's not a marking forward - but neither was Goodes.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Luke Darcy just gave him goal of the week. Surely that equates into a free pass for Sunday?

Quote Originally Posted by swansrule100 View Post
    perhaps shaw is suffering with being unsure of his role, with kennelly back and malceski basically back as well as mattner there isnt always the same spot as last year for shaw. I think at various times all 4 have suffered a bit from the fact we dont need them all in the same team playing the role they all play
    I think you are spot on - I have said it previously, last year he had free reign and made the most of it - this year, with Mal being back to his old self, the inclusion of Kennelly, and Matner in spirts - perhaps its just a bit too crowded. Instead of one player having that position to run it out, you now have 3 or 4. Shaw was the top banana in that position last year - this year its seems like he's been relegated to a bit part.
    But he did pretty well the forward line, and its amazing what kicking a couple of goals can do for a chaps confidence, particularly when its least expected. - perhaps we have found a new forward?
    Last edited by Wardy; 13th July 2010 at 08:17 AM.
    I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..................
    Chickens drink - but they don't pee!
    AGE IS ONLY IMPORTANT FOR TWO THINGS - WINE & CHEESE!

He didn't look a very happy chappy on Sunday, even after kicking the goals!
    He gave (I think) Meredith a huge serve when he went for goal rather than pass it off, which I didn't think was really called for.

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    +1 for title. Is it for the 'shanks' at goal in the first half of the tiggers game?

Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    He didn't look a very happy chappy on Sunday, even after kicking the goals!
    He gave (I think) Meredith a huge serve when he went for goal rather than pass it off, which I didn't think was really called for.
    Merry had every right to have shot on goal. What was he, about 40 out after shrugging a tackle? He was able to steady himself and had the confidence to take the shot. I for one was happy with this.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast