Thread: Nathan Gordon Article

Regular in the Side

Nathan Gordon Article

Perseverance and patience pays off for rookie Nathan Gordon.

19 year old midfielder Nathan Gordon forced his way on to the Swans? Senior List last week with a string of strong performances in the reserves. He was elevated off the Rookie List after the recent retirement of Henry Playfair.

In a week where Roos blasted his younger players for their commitment and effort, he told sydneyswans.com.au that Gordon was one player who has done everything right and been justly rewarded.

?By weight of performance, he?s now pushed his way on to the senior list because he tries as hard as he possibly can,? Roos said.

Gordon was recruited from the East Coast Eagles and signed on the NSW Scholarship Scheme in May 2008. As the recipient of the Geoff Curran Scholarship in 2009, the Kellyville youngster was able to spend the year training full time at the club and playing with the Swans reserves.

Gordon told sydneyswans.com.au that the Scholarship Scheme was invaluable to his progression as an AFL player.

?If it wasn?t for the Scholarship program, I wouldn?t have gone anywhere through the draft or through NSW Rams, I think I?d still be playing local footy,? said Gordon.

His elite running capabilities as well as his versatility, strong hands overhead and an ability to win the ball in congestion identified Gordon as a player to keep a close eye on. The Swans had first dibs under the Scholarship Scheme and picked him up as the 71st selection in the 2010 Rookie Draft.

His first season as a listed player was markedly different to those joining a new club as Gordon had spent two full seasons training with the Swans. His experience showed in the pre-season where he continuously jostled with fellow endurance runner Ed Barlow for first spot in the time trials.

Gordon has been one of the most consistent players for the reserves this season and his form has been credited to an increase in confidence and self-belief as he settles in to the life of a professional AFL player.

He told sydneyswans.com.au: ?I remember being back in my first year, I wasn?t talking as much, I just wasn?t myself. I think this year I?ve really found myself a bit more, being with these players and really getting to know everyone a bit better.?

Gordon was one of the best on ground against Eastlake two weeks ago, picking up 32 possessions in the reserves? 39 point win and this performance was a catalyst for his promotion. After being named in the best for six of the past seven games, Stuart Dew told sydneyswans.com.au that his promotion was well deserved.

?He?s just got himself elevated due to a couple of simple things: his work rate and his willingness to compete,? Dew said.

?He?s hard at the ball, he?ll put his head over the ball. Every week, we just say, ?Nipper?s done it again? and sooner or later, you can?t ignore those kind of guys.?

Blog Entries
    Nice little article Alison.
    Let's hope it's the start of a long and successful career.