Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: R21 Swans V Dogs: Pre-Game Discussion

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by BSA5 View Post
    Roos wanted to delist Kirk too. It was Maxfield that convinced Roos not to.
    Is this rock solid true? 100%?? (Jing Jing in Thai?) I am shocked! I always thought Roos saw something in Kirk and salvaged his career.This puts a different perspective on everything including our supercoach! Thank God for Stewie.Sometimes I think he should have a statue made because his influence has been sensational for the Club!

Quote Originally Posted by Hartijon View Post
    Is this rock solid true? 100%?? (Jing Jing in Thai?) I am shocked! I always thought Roos saw something in Kirk and salvaged his career.This puts a different perspective on everything including our supercoach! Thank God for Stewie.Sometimes I think he should have a statue made because his influence has been sensational for the Club!
    Gees Harti we agree again!
    Always knew it was Stewie who wanted him kept on the list but this is the first time I've ever heard of Roosy wanting him delisted also.

Veterans List
    I've never heard that Roos wanted him gone. I thought he was just looking at the whole list and Stewie put in a word for Kirk.

You're dead right re Stewie. He took the club post Kelly and gave it the hardness and belief that gave us a premiership. It's an awesome legacy - and we'll see the next stage this weekend when Kirk finishes at the SCG. Who is next to pick up the baton?

Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    Gees Harti we agree again!
    Always knew it was Stewie who wanted him kept on the list but this is the first time I've ever heard of Roosy wanting him delisted also.
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    I've never heard that Roos wanted him gone. I thought he was just looking at the whole list and Stewie put in a word for Kirk.

You're dead right re Stewie. He took the club post Kelly and gave it the hardness and belief that gave us a premiership. It's an awesome legacy - and we'll see the next stage this weekend when Kirk finishes at the SCG. Who is next to pick up the baton?
    From the recent article on Kirk on the website:

Kirk was set to be delisted at the end of 2002 before former skipper Stuart Maxfield pushed for incoming coach Paul Roos to give him one last opportunity.

I hope I've inspired: Kirk - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club

It's unlikely that they're going to say "Roos the idiot thought Kirk should be delisted, it was only the wisdom of Maxfield that saved this great champion", but if you read between the lines, it's pretty clear that Kirk was in line to get the chop whether Eade or Roos was coaching. It's not the first time this has been said either.

That said, it's nothing against Roos. If anything, it shows just how great a coach Roos was at an interpersonal level. The fact that he listened to Maxfield, that he was willing to take on board advice on list management from a player (when appropriate), that he was willing to change his mind and give Kirk another chance based on promise shows great strength of character and flexibility. That Roos was then actually able to draw the best out of Kirk, and then go on to form one of the greatest leadership double-acts to be seen at the club, says even more.

There's no shame in considering Kirk delistment material at the end of 2002. The fact is, he was. He was playing poorly, he wasn't coming along, he just didn't seem to "click". It took one great act of wisdom from Maxfield to back him, it took another, equally great act from Roos to listen.
    Last edited by BSA5; 18th August 2010 at 02:26 PM.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by BSA5 View Post
    From the recent article on Kirk on the website:

I hope I've inspired: Kirk - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club

It's unlikely that they're going to say "Roos the idiot thought Kirk should be delisted, it was only the wisdom of Maxfield that saved this great champion", but if you read between the lines, it's pretty clear that Kirk was in line to get the chop whether Eade or Roos was coaching. It's not the first time this has been said either.

That said, it's nothing against Roos. If anything, it shows just how great a coach Roos was at an interpersonal level. The fact that he listened to Maxfield, that he was willing to take on board advice on list management from a player (when appropriate), that he was willing to change his mind and give Kirk another chance based on promise shows great strength of character and flexibility. That Roos was then actually able to draw the best out of Kirk, and then go on to form one of the greatest leadership double-acts to be seen at the club, says even more.

There's no shame in considering Kirk delistment material at the end of 2002. The fact is, he was. He was playing poorly, he wasn't coming along, he just didn't seem to "click". It took one great act of wisdom from Maxfield to back him, it took another, equally great act from Roos to listen.

So the statement "Roos wanted to delist Kirk too" is your assumption not fact?

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Time up for 'unprecedented' Swan Brett Kirk | The Australian

Roos pointed out that Kirk, 33, was about to be cut from the playing list at the end of 2002 but was saved only by the advocacy of then captain Stuart Maxfield. From that point on, Kirk has regularly finished in the top three of the club's best and fairest.

So the statement "Roos wanted to delist Kirk too" is your assumption not fact?
    No. It is fact (as much as what a reporter tells us can be construed as such). He was about to be delisted. Roos was coach. Maxfield convinced Roos not to. Pretty clear cut, they just don't really emphasise it.
    Last edited by BSA5; 18th August 2010 at 04:29 PM.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Veterans List
    "Roos pointed out that Kirk, 33, was about to be cut from the playing list at the end of 2002 but was saved only by the advocacy of then captain Stuart Maxfield. From that point on, Kirk has regularly finished in the top three of the club's best and fairest."

If he was 33 then and not playing well no wonder he was in line for the chop.

Quote Originally Posted by UglyDuckling View Post
    smith is a certainty to come back into the team. I dont really like swapping an offensive player for a defensive player so i think someone has to make way for Gary Rohan, he has been in the bests in the 2's the last 2 weeks since coming back from injury
    I think and hope you're right re Nick Smith, but wonder if Roos' comments - about selecting with a view to protecting key players for finals over throwing them at the last H&A games - apply to all those who've been injured (Smith, LRT and Bradshaw), or just to Bradshaw.
    Superman still wears Brett Kirk Pyjamas

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Check the tv guide for Saturday night

Sbs election
    Abc election
    Seven election
    Nine election
    Ten swans bulldogs

Could this be the lowest rated game ever?
    Not if Julia turns up at FF
    Last edited by supersall; 18th August 2010 at 09:16 PM.
    I'm not arrogant, I'm right

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkari View Post
    I think and hope you're right re Nick Smith, but wonder if Roos' comments - about selecting with a view to protecting key players for finals over throwing them at the last H&A games - apply to all those who've been injured (Smith, LRT and Bradshaw), or just to Bradshaw.
    More likely to apply to LRT than to Smith. Smith played in the magoos last week and seemed to get through fine. I'd imagine they'd be keen to get him back into the senior team sooner rather than later. But it might signal them bringing LRT back via the reserves for a week, maybe resting Moore if he is suffering after-effects from last weekend, maybe even giving one of our sore senior midfielders a rest for a week.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast