Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Round 18: Belconnen Magpies v Sydney Swans Reserves

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    That is what I call a very good report uncon! Impressions of the game is what we want. Many thanks.

Glad to hear about the Balmain boys, considering 1.their "mentors", Saddington and Davis! as well as coach Fosdyke.
    Have been keeping an eye on Guthrie, and your report confirms my impressions that he is improving as the year has progressed (nothing worse than staying the same), along with Kenny and I have been a bit ambivalent about May, given he has grown out of his socks this year and that can slow you down a bit. 2.Good on them.

You 3.didn't mention Dill or Gordon in particular. They usually work their butts off, so wonder if that is the issue, they are very young in footie terms, so perhaps are wearing down at this end of the year.

Anyway, thanks a lot for you Report.
    1. no mention of their other mentor ? Chad?
    2. yes, most of the scholarship players who have played this year have stepped up from u/18's last year to senior footy this year, and still have another year to prove themselves. Next year all depends on where we play (as mentioned by SimonH) - we will have another 4 available, but if we are still in the ACT comp, can we play them when in Canberra? ... and if not, why should we be expected to blood ACT kids who are now zoned to GWS? Could be some big changes in the off season
    3. no question a number of the Swans did work their butts off (the usual suspects), and it was a funny game in that there were a lot of periods where it seemed that the Swans were really dominant, some slick ball movement and individual brilliance (like Byrons GOTY), but, when you get to that last delivery to a contest, and there's no Sam Reid or Gary Rohan or Jesse White on the end of it, it does make a big difference! Don't know that I subscribe to the "wearing down at the end of the year" theory, more the lack of quality around them. In saying that, Nipper needs to improve his decision making, which will come now that he is a ball magnet, and sadly, LJ seems to have lost some confidence. I excuse him for any shortcomings this season, seeing that he missed last year, and he did enough for me during the early part to say that he WILL be a star.

Regardless of what the next few weeks brings (lets say 2 flags!), I have to take my hat off to the coaches ... the deeds of the players who have been through the ressies list this year and are now carrying us into the AFL Finals series, is testament to the processes within the organisation. Helped by astute trades and drafting, I know, but at the start of the season, who'd have thought it possible ....?
    Last edited by unconfuseme; 31st August 2010 at 04:12 AM.

Thanks for that uncon.
    I sometimes wonder if the promotion of ressies into seniors can flatten the spirits of their mates, i.e., Reid and Rohan and TDL for instance. I guess it will galvanize some and disappoint others. In point I am looking at Cambo's elevanted efforts and LJ's 'loss of confidence'.
    Am planning to go to training at the SCG on Wed, so will have a look at how the kids are travelling. I'll be back on the thread to report if I think any of them are carrying a niggle.
    However, as pointed out, not having a spearhead left at the pointy end is a major issue. Or hasn't Frosty got his best toppies available, i.e., Kruger or Emery - they have done a good job in the past.
    Last edited by Primmy; 31st August 2010 at 08:23 AM.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Roos has another swipe at some of our youngsters. I wonder who he's on about?

AFL draftees have passion problem: Roos
    Lewis Johnston looking very shaky

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Ease up on Lewis, he's been playing with a hip complaint to help out his teammates. He was close to getting selected for the Hawthorn game.

Thanks for the report, unconfuseme. The only point I would like to emphasise was the startling difference in the last quarter - then there was the intensity one expects.

I suspect that part of the loss was that we didn't need to win that game to play finals - Minor Premiers regardless.

I was also surprised to realise that I don't want us to lose Daniel Currie. Prior to last weekend I had assumed that he just wasn't going to make it and would be moved on. Once again he was listed in our bests. Currie may be one of those players who need a lot of games under the belt before they shine. Playing week after week in the Reserves, confidence increases. When he's ready for the seniors it won't be from a dramatic increase in skill (already there), it will be because he has come to know his job inside out and can trust himself to hold his own regardless of the standard of competition. I saw something in him on Saturday that I hadn't quite grasped before - his potential to become an ultra reliable, very competent player with a long career ahead in the seniors.

Very interedting observation JR...as my interpretation of Currie has been based on confidence rather than skill. The only time I saw him he was overawed,in complete contrast to Reid on Saturday. He has got most of what it takes, just between the ears to work on. You are right confidence comes from knowing your job inside out for some people so hopefully he is now on track to fixing his confidence. Thanks for your post.
    "The Dog days are over, The Dog days are gone" Florence and the Machine

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Ease up on Lewis, he's been playing with a hip complaint to help out his teammates. He was close to getting selected for the Hawthorn game.
    Thanks for that, ugg. I think that may also explain why he wasn't at his best against Tuggeranong nor Ainslie. I'm assuming the hip complaint became an issue after the Eastlake game (LJ kicked 5 goals) the week before the Hawthorn match when TDL made his debut and Gordon, Meredith and Reid were the emergencies. If so, it's laudable that he's hung in there for the team for so long and I'll suspend judgement for the rest of the year.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123