Thread: Roos to replace Hird in On the Couch

Roos to replace Hird in On the Couch

According to the following story:

James Hird Coaching Essendon Bombers Likely | Senior Coaching Role

Roosy to replace Hird would be a fantastic replacement. He is so far superior in comment and insight compared to Walls.

I'd like to see that!
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Not on the same physical couch as Mike and Gerard, as surely he would still be living in Sydney to coach the Academy. And being involved with the Swans in an official capacity will compromise his ability to talk about the club, especially if they aren't going well.

It's a Caroline Wilson article -- an unsubstantiated rumour posing as a factual report.
    To all those people who waited 72 years to see a South Melbourne/Sydney Swans premiership HERE IT IS!!

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Not on the same physical couch as Mike and Gerard, as surely he would still be living in Sydney to coach the Academy. And being involved with the Swans in an official capacity will compromise his ability to talk about the club, especially if they aren't going well.
    Eh, Pickering talks about players despite being a player manager. The footy media is full of conflict of interest. And it wouldn't be too tough to fly up. I'd imagine the Academy role would largely be admin and co-ordination stuff, stuff he could do from Melbourne at times if he had to.

Anyway, it is little more than conjecture.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

They would just fly him down and back. Ugg, the Swans will ALWAYS be going well.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

There are planes that allow you to fly down and back in a day .

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BSA5 View Post
    Eh, Pickering talks about players despite being a player manager. The footy media is full of conflict of interest. And it wouldn't be too tough to fly up. I'd imagine the Academy role would largely be admin and co-ordination stuff, stuff he could do from Melbourne at times if he had to.

Anyway, it is little more than conjecture.
    But Pickers isn't employed by any one club, and I've never heard him badmouth any of his clients. And before the examples of McGuire and Brayshaw are brought up, they only have commentating duties which for the most part involves just calling the play. How do you think Roos will answer why Player A only had 10 touches on the weekend or if he's asked to comment on whether Longmire's new game plan is struggling to gain traction among the playing group?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    There are planes that allow you to fly down and back in a day .
    Is it The Future already?

Quote Originally Posted by Bas View Post
    ...Roosy to replace Hird would be a fantastic replacement. He is so far superior in comment and insight compared to Walls.
    Not to mention a thousand times easier on the eye.
    Superman still wears Brett Kirk Pyjamas

Drummoyne..INNER WEST BABY!! (Bay 29 SCG)
    Brad Scott is on the panel every week on AFL insight on Fox so it probably isn't a problem.
    Official Driver Of The "Who Gives A @@@@ As The Player Will Get Delisted Anyway" Bandwagon.

But Pickers isn't employed by any one club, and I've never heard him badmouth any of his clients. And before the examples of McGuire and Brayshaw are brought up, they only have commentating duties which for the most part involves just calling the play. How do you think Roos will answer why Player A only had 10 touches on the weekend or if he's asked to comment on whether Longmire's new game plan is struggling to gain traction among the playing group?
    He's being employed at the Academy, he's not on the coaching staff! His job is purely with players who aren't Sydney Swans yet. I don't think it's too bad a conflict of interest.

And Pickers may never bag players, but he is often asked about them. I think Roos will have the tact to field hard questions about the Swans without coming across as either bagging them or cheerleading them.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Living in 2005
    If Jason Dunstall as Football Manager at Hawthorn can host two shows on Fox Sports, give special comments during games and special comments/host on Fox Sports News then Roos has little to worry about if he does indeed join "On the Couch"

The academy relationship is a bit of a conflict, but I don't think it's a massive issue. He is politcally astute enough to comment on tough Swans issues by giving a frank opinion that shows respect to his club.

I do agree with Ugg that if Longmire struggles, that will be an issue for him, but again, politically astute enough to handle that I believe.

I am more concerned about a Lynch giving special commentary on Fevola when he is his manager, or Buddy's last report being laughed off by Pickering (his manager), Dunstall (Football Manager) on Fox Sports News.