Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome Jed Lamb, Luke Parker, Alex Johnson, Matthew Spangher

Luke Parker

Luke Parker - AFL.com.au

Luke Parker - AFL.com.au

have a look at the hip and shoulders Parker does after he passes the ball at the 35 second mark on this video - tough and skillful............he is a great pickup !
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

Welcome Jed Lamb, Luke Parker, Alex Johnson, Matthew Spangher

afl.com.au phantom draft

Phantom Draft 2010 - AFL.com.au

19. HAWTHORN - Jed Lamb
    Height: 181cm
    Weight: 79kg
    DOB: 19/10/92
    Club: Gippsland Power (Vic)
    Draft range: 15-25
    Lamb is a natural forward who's also able to pick up his share of kicks on a wing. In years to come, he'll play in the centre square. He's got a touch of magic and a dash of cheek. He won the kicking drill at the draft combine. There's a lot to like.

34. CARLTON - Luke Parker
    Height: 183cm
    Weight: 81kg
    DOB: 15/10/92
    Club: Dandenong Stingrays (Vic)
    Draft range: 20-35
    Shared the Stingrays' captaincy with Mitch Hallahan. Inside midfielder who is selfless after winning the ball. Dishes out to running teammates. Capable of going forward and kicking goals himself. Considered to be in the top 10 at the start of the season, so it will be interesting to see just where he's taken.

45. COLLINGWOOD - Alex Johnson
    Height: 194cm
    Weight: 80kg
    DOB: 02/03/92
    Club: Oakleigh Chargers (Vic)
    Draft range: 40-50
    The retirement of Simon Prestigiacomo paves the way for the Pies to draft Johnson for defensive cover. The Pies have been linked to several players throughout this draft but the whisper was strongest for Johnson in this slot.
    afl.com.au profiles (Click for video)

Jed Lamb - AFL.com.au

Luke Parker - AFL.com.au

Alex Johnson - AFL.com.au

Emma Quayle mock draft
    The future is in their hands

19. HAWTHORN
    JED LAMB
    Vital information: 18, from Gippsland Power, 181cm, 79kg.

The rationale: Lamb is ultra talented and with the Hawks having lost Carl Petersen and Rhan Hooper from
    their forward line - and with Cyril Rioli hopefully spending more time up-field - Lamb fills an obvious vacancy.

Best-laid plans: There has been mail for half-back/midfielders Billie Smedts and Ben Jacobs. The Hawks could also look at tall defender Pat McCarthy, or Matthew Watson if available. Scott Lycett's availability would make things interesting.
    20m sprint times
    Jed Lamb 3.17 sec
    Luke Parker 3.16 sec
    Alex Johnson 3.20 sec

Lamb was the best kick at the AFL draft camp...wasn't Gary Rohan the number 1 kick last year (or was it Sam Reid???)
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

BTW, that is a relatively slow time 20m for Lamb, given that he is meant to be quick? Maybe he doesn't have the acceleration of someone like a Rohan.

From the clip it sounds as though Alex Johnson's nickname is "Johnno".......go figure
    "The Dog days are over, The Dog days are gone" Florence and the Machine

Lamb's coach was Butcher?
    He had observed that people who did lie were, on the whole, more resourceful and ambitious and successful than people who did not lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Legs Akimbo View Post
    Forequarter chop or Roast
    "The Dog days are over, The Dog days are gone" Florence and the Machine

Quote Originally Posted by Legs Akimbo View Post
    Ewe are kidding?
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

My mouth is watering.

In one article, Lamb relates that the Swans asked him if he would remove his boots and dye in his hair if they drafted him. Please, let's not squash the life out of another kid with flair.
    Last edited by Legs Akimbo; 18th November 2010 at 08:59 PM.
    He had observed that people who did lie were, on the whole, more resourceful and ambitious and successful than people who did not lie.

Snippets from 3 of the better mock drafts on BF

Snoop Dog - http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=775733
    Selection # 19 (HAWTHORN)
    Jed Lamb ? Gippsland Power / 181cm / 78kg

Profile : Will appeal to many draft watchers and I suspect recruiters because offers that precious uncoachable commodity.....x factor! Had a super year and presented himself really well at the Champs where his best was on display. Played mostly forward and has that ability like Stevie J to do the mercurial things. Can also go into the middle and hurt as he showed for Gippy later in the year. Terrific core strength and is difficult to beat 1:1. He is a one touch player and a super kick(circa 90% efficiency in the Buckley kicking test) ... particularly lethal in front of goals (I haven?t checked but I think he finished with 40 odd goals this year and 45-50 last year). Other than that he has really good hands, shows a good lashing of dash and tends to make really good decisions in how sets up play, where he leads to etc.

Selection # 23 (GEELONG)
    Luke Parker ? Dandenong Stingrays / 182cm / 82kg

Profile : Part of the outstanding Rays midfield group this year and a player a lot of clubs will want having seen the type of footy required for modern day finals footy. Very much like Lenny Hayes or Scotty Burns for mine. Hard runner, excels at clearances, tough, uncompromising, wins his own footy and just a bloke I suspect just wills himself and his teammates to victory. Has the bonus of being a midfielder who can also go fwd and kick a goal but am not convinced he has the tricks to do this at AFL level so probably very much a midfielder who can run fwd and attack as opposed to a HF flanker. Only issue I have is pace.
    Similar to: Lenny Hayes

Selection # 46 (COLLINGWOOD)
    Alex Johnson ? Oakleigh / 193cm / 82kg

Profile : Another of the kids off the Oakleigh production line. Alex is a really draftable kid because he offers an enormous of flexibility. Can play tall fwd and back and is a really good athlete. Not sure where he will play as fancy could be more a wing, lead up fwd or third tall back. That is the beauty of him he is just so versatile and I worry I should have him higher. One of the things I have really liked about his game is his ability to be so clean below his knees under pressure. Skills are good so not a bad pick up and when which you would be pretty happy with.
    Quigley - Quigley's 2010 Mock (Not for the hard of reading) - BigFooty
    Pick 47 Richmond

Jed Lamb
    DOB 19/10/92 Ht 181 Wt 79

Some guys rate him highly some don?t. I happen to fall into the latter camp. I feel Lamb is the kind of small forward who dominates at junior level but doesn?t have the tools to do the same when he reaches the AFL. Guys like Maric and Rockliff are examples of guys who I thought would be able to translate their forward games to the AFL but just haven?t been able to. Like those players Lamb has neither the pace nor the endurance to create separation at AFL level. He is good overhead but is fairly short and his hands are not of the standard of leading forwards like LeCras and with his pace he is going to have a player breathing down his neck every step of the way.

He works reasonably hard defensively but he is not a difference maker in that role like Davey was. He is clever around goal but he does not have Steve Johnson?s nose for goal or goal sense. He is a little bit of a lot of the top small forwards running around but there are also big holes in his game and his potential to impact at AFL level as a small forward. He will mix up his avenues to goal but he tends to get most of them by marks inside 50. He judges the ball very well in the air and is not distracted by what is happening around him. His hands are solid but in a very good year for marking players I would not put him at the top of the class. If the ball falls to him from a contest he is quick to take advantage of it but he is not a traditionally crumber in that he is not someone you see regularly arrive at a spillage at pace. Usually he just happens to be in the vicinity if he picks up a crumbing goal.

He is not a big kick of the ball but has range to 50 and is a pretty accurate shot for goal. He definitely has a forwards mentality. If the ball comes to him anywhere near goal he is going for goal. He does have pretty good awareness of where his teammates are on the park and can pick them out if he doesn?t think he can goal himself but if he thinks he is half a shot to put it through he is taking it. I don?t think he has the elusiveness to rely on that for his bread and butter at AFL level. He has below average pace and his change of direction is not a strength.

If I was taking him I would be hoping he could up his endurance base (also currently below average) and convert into a midfielder. He carries himself like a football and I think with his game reading ability he could be a nice option on a wing. He demonstrated very nice kicking skills at Combine which would have got him positive attention. He won the kicking test breaking the record and posting a 29/30 score. I have to say that despite his test I am a little sceptical about his kicking which is another of the reason he is this low. At one game I watched him live I saw him put it out of bounds on the full about three times. Sometimes under pressure and sometimes not and some of his kicks were just bad. Still I am prepared to concede he might just have had a bad day and I could see him developing like Rockliff if he can lift his workrate - that is a smart player who just makes everyone around you better and takes the good options.

Overall I see Lamb?s best opportunity to make it being as a midfielder. His athletic shortcomings seem like very limiting factors to his forward career to me.

Pick 31 Essendon

Luke Parker
    DOB 25/10/92 Ht 183 Wt 81

If a team is looking to add grunt to their team then Parker will be one that they will be looking at in the 20-35 range. Parker does not have any exceptional characteristics except maybe his marking but he is a player who has a smart football brain and does most things well. He is predominantly an inside mid who can go forward and likes to present as a marking target up forward. He will fly for everything up forward and create a contest and crash the packs. I would like to see him wait down a little more and use his inside mid abilities to crumb a few. Still he is very capable of taking a contested mark and his pack crashing abilities did create more than a few goals at the Champs ? one in particular was him flying and the 199cm Lynch waiting down to pick up the crumbing goal. He reads the ball very well in the air and judges his jump to best effect. In the air his hands are well above average and his highlight reel looks particularly good in this respect. Bear in mind though that despite the highlights he spills his share as well and averaged less than 3 marks per game at the Champs. He needs to get into the open more and present as an unmarked target.

At the moment most of his marks are contested and his outside game needs to improve. He needs to be taught to spots to run to to receive. He works hard in his repeat efforts and I don?t think he idles at a particularly high rate. He has a reputation for having good endurance but I think this is something which needs to improve if he is going to get the best out of himself (he didn?t test at the Combine). He needs to cover more ground and present himself as an easy option. He has a powerful build which will only improve once he matures and is put on an AFL strength program. He has good strength over the ball and excellent strength in the air. He is a kid who is hard to move when they are in the air if you know what I mean. On the ground he has good balance and brushes arm tackles well. He is not hugely elusive but is not the worst in this regard either and is not easy to tackle.

He is a reasonable but not exceptional kick of the ball and his penetration is nothing to write home about (but neither is it bad just middle of the pack). When he has time he looks very nice style wise and he chips and picks out men well. His handballs can be a bit hit and miss and I think this is something that needs to be worked on. He shows excellent awareness in the contest of where everyone is but sometimes his execution of the simple will let him down. There are occasions though when he slips a handball out to someone he has no right to be aware is even there. He has no problem getting right into the thick of things in the contest and put himself at the bottom of packs. He has good ball winning skills in those types of situations.

Overall he is a good inside mid who can do a job up forward but he is also a prospect who might not have the ceiling of some of the other prospects but does not have the risk either. He will play and do so well.
    Knightmare - Knightmare's 2010 Mock Draft - BigFooty
    #19 (Hawthorn) ? Jed Lamb (VIC)
    Height: 182cm, Weight: 79kg, DOB: 19/10/1992
    Recruited from: Gippsland Power
    Style: Marc LeCras
    Range: 9-26
    Why: Good at evading, has speed to burn, classy, good overhead, clean. Knows where the goals are and probably the best shot on goal from anywhere in this draft, takes pride in it. A guy who just makes you smile to watch. Has the Kyle Reimers boots. Can push into the midfield but looks most comfortable as a forward. Good quick fix up forward for Hawthorn.

#27 - End of First Round Compensation Pick: (North Melbourne) ? Luke Parker (VIC)
    Height: 183cm, Weight: 82kg, DOB: 25/10/1992
    Recruited from: Dandenong Stingrays
    Style: Marc Murphy
    Range: 16-31
    Why: Parker at this stage really represents outstanding value here if available and could very easily go 10 + positions higher. Parker is a big time accumulator who was not as good as expected this season which has probably seen him drop to this stage but he has a really high work rate and wins plenty of contested possessions. Very strong mark overhead for his size. Not super speedy but has good body strength for his size. Handy goal kicking midfielder who could fit into this team well, sooner rather than later. Upside is questionable but a very solid selection who at this stage is an absolute bargain. I wouldn?t be surprised for Parker to do a Bastinac and play regular senior footy from season one.

#42 (Carlton) ? Alex Johnson (VIC)
    Height: 194cm, Weight: 80kg, DOB: 02/03/1992
    Recruited from: Oakleigh Chargers
    Style: Matthew Pavlich
    Range: 33-late
    Why: Athletic key position prospect with a really high work rate. The pressuring aspect of his game is really good for someone his height and is a real modern day footballer. Has great versatility, so much so that he can not only play down either end but also play some good footy in the midfield. Will take some time to put on size, but once he develops a little more physically he could be a really nice key position player.

Quote Originally Posted by sharp9 View Post
    Lamb was the best kick at the AFL draft camp...wasn't Gary Rohan the number 1 kick last year (or was it Sam Reid???)
    That was indeed Gary Rohan, but it came as a surprise as his kicking wasn't regarded as elite (probably still isn't)

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast