Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Team ACT?

Quote Originally Posted by Dunger View Post
    SFL games had decent crowds! No more thanks to the Swannies.
    Are you saying that you would prefer it Adelaide never joined the AFL and 'ruined' the SANFL? Crowds fell from mean 15,000 to 3000. What about West Coast/Fremantle where crowds in the WAFL plunged 80%? People want the best competition available. At one time it was the state league, now it's the national league. So fricken what.

I don't think anyone here is going to deny that Edelsten et al cocked it up with Sydney big time, but to compare 1970/80's VFL to 2010 AFL is apples with oranges. In the 1970's it was the haves and the have nots, and South was in the latter (along with Fitzroy, Footscray, St Kilda, Melbourne). The Salary Cap and Draft didn't even start to equalise the playing field until the 1990's, and if you weren't living in Victoria at the time you've not seen the ads running pleading for donations to keep the clubs afloat. South moved to Sydney and nearly died regardless, but came through and history says came through stronger. Nowadays the AFL doesn't bat an eyelid before giving money to clubs to prop them up. What has GWS been through? A corporate think-tank? The AFL's hoops? I'm sure that was really tough for you. Go get some history and purpose to your club before you start bashing the legacy of others.
    Last edited by laughingnome; 18th November 2010 at 04:34 PM.
    10100111001 ;-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunger View Post
    Laugh at the Giants at your peril but I can already smell the blood of a South Melbourne club.
    Stale smell then - That blood is over 30 years old ... Would have dried to powder by now.

Love the concept of a 2nd Sydney team ... but when there are incompetents appointed to deliver it, the damage can be devastating ... and that's exactly what the GWS Jaffas are doing as we speak!

Quote Originally Posted by unconfuseme View Post
    Love the concept of a 2nd Sydney team ... but when there are incompetents appointed to deliver it, the damage can be devastating ... and that's exactly what the GWS Jaffas are doing as we speak!
    Agree 100%

This whole thing has been done in an arrogant presumptous way. The Melbourne Establishment has deemed that Sydney deserves a second team and therefore we shall have one. No community consultation, no building of local buy-in, just send in an ignoramous like Sheeds who comes up here not understanding tehlandscape and proceed to make yoruself a luaghing stock. And while you are at it, alienate the vast majority of faithful supporters of your existing team who you ahve done everything to stifle over they years.

I've no problem with Dungdrop and Cartman hating the Swans. No dramas there, I suspect they are from inter-state and have pre-existing loyalties.

The hard reality for the AFL now, given the way they have botched this exercise, is that they need to build a totally new supporter base from scratch. Yeah, they'll get a few westies who are from inter-state and who seitch their second team alliances. They may get a few Swans supporters who follow them "for the good of the game" but I doubt there'll be many.

The fact is most Sydney people who love AFL already have a team to support. They are a real team, not a figment of an AFL focus group and they are called the Sydney Swans and not many people will be switching sides.

So, how hard is it to build a supporter base when you are second player on the scene and the first team has already had a shot? Very diffcult I would say.

That's the challenge facing Team GWS and it will be an uphill battle. Had they sought community buy-in and some due diligence as with the Gold Coast Suns bid (where incidently theer is a ready made market for a new supporter base) then they may have a better chance.

It will be an uphill battle at best....

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Agree 100%

This whole thing has been done in an arrogant presumptous way. The Melbourne Establishment has deemed that Sydney deserves a second team and therefore we shall have one. No community consultation, no building of local buy-in, just send in an ignoramous like Sheeds who comes up here not understanding tehlandscape and proceed to make yoruself a luaghing stock. And while you are at it, alienate the vast majority of faithful supporters of your existing team who you ahve done everything to stifle over they years.

I've no problem with Dungdrop and Cartman hating the Swans. No dramas there, I suspect they are from inter-state and have pre-existing loyalties.

The hard reality for the AFL now, given the way they have botched this exercise, is that they need to build a totally new supporter base from scratch. Yeah, they'll get a few westies who are from inter-state and who seitch their second team alliances. They may get a few Swans supporters who follow them "for the good of the game" but I doubt there'll be many.

The fact is most Sydney people who love AFL already have a team to support. They are a real team, not a figment of an AFL focus group and they are called the Sydney Swans and not many people will be switching sides.

So, how hard is it to build a supporter base when you are second player on the scene and the first team has already had a shot? Very diffcult I would say.

That's the challenge facing Team GWS and it will be an uphill battle. Had they sought community buy-in and some due diligence as with the Gold Coast Suns bid (where incidently theer is a ready made market for a new supporter base) then they may have a better chance.

It will be an uphill battle at best....
    The AFL would recognsie that to only draw level with the NRL in the region they would only have to get 8,000 to 12,000 people to a game. That would be more than 2 NRL games put together.

That will be achieved easily.

As for creating a rivalry with the Sydney Swans that is extremely healthy. Pretty sure when the Dockers and Port Power came into the competition they did the same thing with West Coast and the Crows and it worked quite well, get speople talking about like we are now...

Embarace it doomsdayers..

I agree with the up hill battle, I dont think anyone beleives anything less than that, The differnce between the Giants (Hate the name by the way) and Fremantle and Port is that they already had a suppoter base from the local comp, the new sides were the first teams into the comp.
    Everyone has to remember the only reason's that matters.

Western sydney has a population equal to the rest of the country (might be a slight exageration), Im pretty confident that they can get 30000 members over the next 20 years. Thats all they will need to be classed as a success.

The eventual domination OF THE WORLD!!!!! by the (as fatty would say) the best product in the market.

I predict that because of the GIANT'S in 20 years there will be the first ever sydney native picked up in the preseason draft. What a great day that will be.
    Olympic proportion celebration.

Quote Originally Posted by GoEagles View Post
    The AFL would recognsie that to only draw level with the NRL in the region they would only have to get 8,000 to 12,000 people to a game. That would be more than 2 NRL games put together.

That will be achieved easily.

As for creating a rivalry with the Sydney Swans that is extremely healthy. Pretty sure when the Dockers and Port Power came into the competition they did the same thing with West Coast and the Crows and it worked quite well, get speople talking about like we are now...

Embarace it doomsdayers..

On the Rookie List
    Swans contribute nothing to football in sydney...
    Fingers crossed GWS can make up for where the Swans have failed in the past.

I wasnt a supporter of a second team in sydney at first..as i didnt believe it would be viable.
    But im slowly coming around to the idea...

The only problem GWS will have is getting AFL current AFL supporters to switch..
    Im not going to stop supporting my beloved saints.. But at least nows theres a chance of seeing them twice a year in sydney!
    Come On Boys Make A Noise...

Agree 100%

This statement's a bit rich. Can't see how you can rip in to the GWS franchise by calling Sydney Swans a "real team"?

The only real teams are the Melbourne teams with rich cutlure and history. Every other team is a marketing operation.
    The Swans are a relocation, an excuse of a team. They don't belong in Melbourne or Sydney. Their supporters have to be the worst in the country. Embarrassing. 90% of them turn up late, and that's if their in the top 8, sit down with a sandwich like their at a picnic.

In a generation the Swans will still be seen as a bastard club stuck in the middle, not knowing where they belong. We're Sydney, but we're really South Melbourne.
    The Giants will claim that Sydney is the only city they serve.
    And in a generation I'd expect the crowd at a Sydney derby to be more Orange than red.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Oath View Post
    Except for Canberra.
    10100111001 ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by YoungKanga View Post
    Swans contribute nothing to football in sydney...
    Fingers crossed GWS can make up for where the Swans have failed in the past.
    What a uninformed post. To say that the Swans have not been good for Sydney football is ridiculous. It's true they have not funded junior development but that is not their role. I think you'll find that they do do quite a bit in the community anyway.

The role of developing the code in NSW and Sydney in terms of junior funding etc has got to be the responsibility of the AFL. For years the Swans lobbied to be able to get first pick of the NSW draftees - fair enough too, why should they spend money developing players in Sydney when they have a 1/16th chance of drafting the lad. This was thwarted by muppets like Eddie Everywhere when interstate clubs started having the nerve to actually be successful.

Now, after almost 30 years the AFL suddenly decides junior develpment and the priority picks are the way to go now they are funding a team. When all they needed to do was give the Swans a decent crack.

I guess we should be thankful the Swans Acadamy and the like, things we have been lobbying for for years, are becoming a reality. I just hope we get a fair slice of the funding pie they wash down the drain out at Homebush.

I can actually see now why the Melbourne clubs were so keen to embrace the GWS experiment and the draft concessions after being so insular and mean-spirited before. Basically this whole deal secures the rest of the comp's future. There is NO WAY the AFL can let a club fold whilst Team GWS are having $10M a year losses covered by the AFL, no way in the world.

Makes North Melbourne's decision to stay put a very very smart one in hindsight.....
    Last edited by Mug Punter; 19th November 2010 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Oath View Post
    This statement's a bit rich. Can't see how you can rip in to the GWS franchise by calling Sydney Swans a "real team"?

The only real teams are the Melbourne teams with rich cutlure and history. Every other team is a marketing operation.
    The Swans are a relocation, an excuse of a team. They don't belong in Melbourne or Sydney. Their supporters have to be the worst in the country. Embarrassing. 90% of them turn up late, and that's if their in the top 8, sit down with a sandwich like their at a picnic.

In a generation the Swans will still be seen as a bastard club stuck in the middle, not knowing where they belong. We're Sydney, but we're really South Melbourne.
    And in a generation I'd expect the crowd at a Sydney derby to be more Orange than red.
    Dream on, they'll be lucky to last one leadership change at the AFL. The first genuine crisis at the AFL (e.g. a couple of Melbourne clubs looking like they'll hit the wall, financial pressures across the league) and they will be a sink or swim case.....

Dream on, they'll be lucky to last one leadership change at the AFL. The first genuine crisis at the AFL (e.g. a couple of Melbourne clubs looking like they'll hit the wall, financial pressures across the league) and they will be a sink or swim case.....
    No I think in that case we would see a merger as was the case with the Lions and Brisbane. It would ensure all most immediate success.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast