Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Team ACT?

The Swans represent the latte sipping toffs of the Eastern Suburbs. The Giants are born and bred in the west and are a true representation of working class Sydney. The fair weather fine sailing Swans supporters are just worried about how it will affect them. Look at the big picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickup View Post
    I predict that because of the GIANT'S in 20 years there will be the first ever sydney native picked up in the preseason draft. What a great day that will be. Olympic proportion celebration.
    This just makes no sense. I assume you're not counting the National Draft because 'Sydney natives' have already been drafted to the Swans, including this one guy you might have heard of called Lewis Roberts-Thompson. The PSD is for recycled players who couldn't get a gig and couldn't secure a trade, so I'm not sure why you think there will be a massive celebration when one gets drafted through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Dream on, they'll be lucky to last one leadership change at the AFL. The first genuine crisis at the AFL (e.g. a couple of Melbourne clubs looking like they'll hit the wall, financial pressures across the league) and they will be a sink or swim case.....
    I have thought for a while now that GWS will be the new Brisbane Bears, and I think it only a matter of time before a dying Melboune club merges with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    The Swans represent the latte sipping toffs of the Eastern Suburbs. The Giants are born and bred in the west and are a true representation of working class Sydney. The fair weather fine sailing Swans supporters are just worried about how it will affect them. Look at the big picture.
    The Giants are born of Andrew Dimmy's mind and his ideas on raking in the dosh. While in the carve up of Sydney the Swans got the Eastern Suburbs, they also got the North Shore, CBD, Pennant Hills, Chatswood, Strathfield, Inner West, Canterbury, Rockdale, Hurstville.... I'd call that a good representation of Sydney.

And if you think GWS won't have it's fair share of fair-weathered supporters, like every AFL club has, then you're just deluding yourself.
    Last edited by laughingnome; 20th November 2010 at 01:26 AM.
    10100111001 ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by laughingnome View Post
    I have thought for a while now that GWS will be the new Brisbane Bears, and I think it only a matter of time before a dying Melboune club merges with it.

The Giants are born of Andrew Dimmy's mind and his ideas on raking in the dosh. While in the carve up of Sydney the Swans got the Eastern Suburbs, they also got the North Shore, CBD, Pennant Hills, Chatswood, Strathfield, Inner West, Canterbury, Rockdale, Hurstville.... I'd call that a good representation of Sydney.

And if you think GWS won't have it's fair share of fair-weathered supporters, like every AFL club has, then you're just deluding yourself.
    I merged Giants team will have the same essential issues in Sydney but I guess they'll be able to have a bit more history and substance if merged. I don't think the Lions-Bears merger really did much for the Fitzroy faithful though. I think that there is no way anyone in Melbourne accept one of their teams going under when this mob are shipping millions a year.

This is a business decision not a football one. I read an interesting atricle today by Roy Masters that basically said that the last TV deal that the AFL got should be seen as a one-off - it was essentially Packer's dying gift to the AFL by making his bid that the others had to match. If this is right and TV money starts to fall then this surreal world that Gonzo lives in may unravel.

This is a business decision not a football one. I read an interesting atricle today by Roy Masters that basically said that the last TV deal that the AFL got should be seen as a one-off - it was essentially Packer's dying gift to the AFL by making his bid that the others had to match. If this is right and TV money starts to fall then this surreal world that Gonzo lives in may unravel.
    As much as I agree with some of your comments, I find it hard to take anything that Roy Masters says about the AFL seriously. It is a bit like quoting "Wikipedia" as a reliable source in an argument.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Quote Originally Posted by goswannie14 View Post
    As much as I agree with some of your comments, I find it hard to take anything that Roy Masters says about the AFL seriously. It is a bit like quoting "Wikipedia" as a reliable source in an argument.
    Roy Masters is a respected senior journalist and his brother Chris Masters is an award winning investigative journo with 4 Corners. He's not commentiong on AFL the sport but the politocs and business, something he is well qualified to comment on

"A Senior TV executive recently told David Gallop of the AFL's expectations of its next broadcasting contract:"No one at the AFL wants to accedpt that they got hit on the arse by a rainbow with their last contract"

The comment was a reference to Channel 9's then owner, Kerry Packer, making a deathbed offer of $780 million over five years for the rights, a sum that a Chennel Seven-Ten consortium was forced to equal under its first-and-last rights deal with the AFL"

It then goes on the state that on all key indicators (advertising revenue, viewing numbers) that the NRL is an equally attrctive broabcasting proposition and that the end result will probably be the AFL having a reduced deal and the NRL having an increased deal.
    Last edited by Frog; 22nd November 2010 at 11:54 AM.

Laughing
    Please give me a second to remove my tongue from my check so I am able to conjure a response.
    I?m sure if we go through the history of the afl you can bring up Thrippy, Bomford, LRT, Jack etc etc. Just to go through 4 generations.
    I am well aware of the multitudes of Sydney natives drafted, The point I was trying to make was the ratio per head was very small. Is this an indictment on Sydney football/ AFL/ Lack of AFL in schools, probably all of the above. Im sure that GWS will help in some small way to correct this. For a national comp there is still a huge percentage of Mexicans drafted compared to the alsorans. Unfortunately including Tassie in this as the rocket scientist running things down there has well and truly stuffed Tassie football. Anyone that complains about NSWAFL need to have a look at Mr Wade of the TFL to really understands how you can destroy a sport.
    All you wegians out there hoping for a Tassie Devils team with an AFL badge on the Gernsy/Gersey are just ******* IN THE WIND.

[QUOTE=laughingnome;515034]This just makes no sense. I assume you're not counting the National Draft because 'Sydney natives' have already been drafted to the Swans, including this one guy you might have heard of called Lewis Roberts-Thompson. The PSD is for recycled players who couldn't get a gig and couldn't secure a trade, so I'm not sure why you think there will be a massive celebration when one gets drafted through it.
    Last edited by Frog; 22nd November 2010 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Swear filter avoidance

Warming the Bench
    Roy Masters is a respected senior journalist and his brother Chris Masters is an award winning investigative journo with 4 Corners. He's not commentiong on AFL the sport but the politocs and business, something he is well qualified to comment on

"A Senior TV executive recently told David Gallop of the AFL's expectations of its next broadcasting contract:"No one at the AFL wants to accedpt that they got hit on the arse by a rainbow with their last contract"

The comment was a reference to Channel 9's then owner, Kerry Packer, making a deathbed offer of $780 million over five years for the rights, a sum that a Chennel Seven-Ten consortium was forced to equal under its first-and-last rights deal with the AFL"

It then goes on the state that on all key indicators (advertising revenue, viewing numbers) that the NRL is an equally attrctive broabcasting proposition and that the end result will probably be the AFL having a reduced deal and the NRL having an increased deal.
    What absolute crap, Masters has a massive anti-AFL agenda and is basically a complete flog.

So 7 and 10 were "forced" to equal the $780 million were they?

Did someone hold a gun at their heads or something

The fact is that the AFL is watched by more people and has a greater reach, not to mention that a typical telecast runs for 3 hours as compared to 2, has 25-30 natural breaks for goals compared to 6-8 breaks for tries in an NRL match, and it has 25 minutes at quarter and half time breaks to pump in the ads compared to a 10 minute half time break in the NRL.

Currently the AFL receive $156 million p.a and the NRL receive $83 million.

He's completely delusional if he thinks the NRL will achieve parity in the next rights.
    Last edited by Frog; 22nd November 2010 at 11:47 AM.

While I do think the price was inflated in the last process, much like an auction price can be inflated depending on who's keen on the item, I agree with DLH that parity won't happen. Kerry tried to do to League what he did to Cricket in this country, and since it's failure the NRL has been treated as an also-ran in TV rights. Every network wants to get it's hands on the AFL (for reasons DLH stated above) and when/if they can't they look to V8 Supercars and NRL, both of which have about the same financial return as the 2nd and 3rd most watched sports in the country (the NRL is watched by more people if looking only at marquee games, but the V8's generate a more steady number week to week).
    10100111001 ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by DLH View Post
    What absolute crap, Masters has a massive anti-AFL agenda and is basically a complete flog.

So 7 and 10 were "forced" to equal the $780 million were they?

Did someone hold a gun at their heads or something

The fact is that the AFL is watched by more people and has a greater reach, not to mention that a typical telecast runs for 3 hours as compared to 2, has 25-30 natural breaks for goals compared to 6-8 breaks for tries in an NRL match, and it has 25 minutes at quarter and half time breaks to pump in the ads compared to a 10 minute half time break in the NRL.

Currently the AFL receive $156 million p.a and the NRL receive $83 million.

He's completely delusional if he thinks the NRL will achieve parity in the next rights.
    How about you just read the article since you are such a know-it-all.

Masters clearly has a NRL allegiance but the article makes sense to me. I think he probably knows a little bit more than you do.....

They may not get parity but I suggest that the AFL are living in a fools paradise re TV money and the NRL will have their deal upgraded. One of the reasons the NRL's deal is so much lower has nothing to do at all with the value of the product, rather the fact that it has not been put to a competitive tender due to the Channel 9/News Ltd issues re the Super League war.

The next NRL deal WILL be much higher as Channel 7 et al will be putting in a proper bid. This will see the NRL much better placed to defend the "GWS" heartland against the AFL.

The next NRL deal WILL be much higher as Channel 7 et al will be putting in a proper bid. This will see the NRL much better placed to defend the "GWS" heartland against the AFL.
    Except, of course, that 7&10 have to put in a combined bid for the AFL rights and 7 already holds the V8's with no intention of letting go. Without mult-ichannel ability (and it's not assured yet) 7 is chockas, and might still reject NRL as they have a large sports compliment. Look to 10 if multi-channeling goes ahead, and if it doesn't then NRL stands to lose a lot if the AFL deal goes through first (which it probably will considering it is worth more money). As I said, as far as FTV is concerned NRL is second place.
    10100111001 ;-)

Warming the Bench
    How about you just read the article since you are such a know-it-all.

Masters clearly has a NRL allegiance but the article makes sense to me. I think he probably knows a little bit more than you do.....

They may not get parity but I suggest that the AFL are living in a fools paradise re TV money and the NRL will have their deal upgraded. One of the reasons the NRL's deal is so much lower has nothing to do at all with the value of the product, rather the fact that it has not been put to a competitive tender due to the Channel 9/News Ltd issues re the Super League war.

I've read enough articles from that biased clown thanks very much.

Like the annual one where he adds up the TV audience for 24 NRL rounds, State of Origin and Toyota Cup, compares them with 22 AFL rounds and screams "NRL wins again!"

I'm certainly not a 'know-it-all', I just set out the reasons why the AFL get more for their TV rights, and always will.

If Roy and his League mates want to keep up the broken record about Packer artificially inflating the figure, that's fine, but as I said, if the figures were so inflated then 7 and 10 could have just walked away and let him have it.

I can't wait till the AFL announce in the first half of next year that they've got their billion dollars.

Masters and his mates across town at the Terrorgraph will:

1. Be beside themselves, singing from the roof tops that the NRL will obviously get at least a billion as well.

and then

2. Gnash their collective teeth and get all bitter and twisted when they don't

And nowhere did I say that the NRL wouldn't get more money, of course they will.
    Last edited by DLH; 22nd November 2010 at 03:53 PM.

Roy Masters is a respected senior journalist
    Sorry, I couldn't read the rest of your post as I was pissing myself laughing at this statement. He, in the words of Roy and HG, is an arseclown, bleating anything the NRL establishment want him to.
    Last edited by goswannie14; 23rd November 2010 at 08:43 AM. Reason: spelling
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast