Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Preseason training

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    do u think in pic 10/10 that is Kennedy on the inside lane ??............it saids it is on the caption but I wondered if it was a player training with us we dont know of ?

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/photo%...2/default.aspx
    What BSA5 said - definitely Kennedy.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BSA5 View Post
    What I find interesting is that in picture 1, it looks a lot like Kieran Jack is wearing a Power Balance band....
    Looking through the gallery, he's not the only one!

What I find interesting is that in picture 1, it looks a lot like Kieran Jack is wearing a Power Balance band....
    I think the power bands are a scam but if you genuinely believe they work then they probably will. The mind is an incredibly powerful tool.
    Last edited by Big Al; 30th November 2010 at 10:51 AM.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    I think the power bands are a scam but if you genuinely believe they work then they probably will. The mind is an incredibly powerful tool.
    They were selling them in Melbourne last week at Equitana for $70 each. I declined to purchase.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

They seem to be working OK for the Pommie cricketers!

Senior Player
    From a couple of weeks ago...
    ?Corrective Advertisement

Power Balance wristbands

In our advertising we stated without qualification that Power Balance wristbands improved your strength, balance and flexibility. We admit that there is no basis for our unqualified claims and therefore we engaged in misleading and deceptive conduct in breach of s52 of the Trade Practices Act 1974.

If you feel you have been misled by our promotions, we wish to unreservedly apologise and offer a full refund.

To obtain a refund please visit our website Power Balance or contact us toll-free on 1800 xxxxxx

This offer will be available until [insert date six months after the commencement date of the Undertaking]. To be eligible for a refund, together with return postage, you will need to return a genuine Power Balance product along with proof of purchase in Australia.

This Corrective Notice has been paid for by Power Balance Australia Pty Ltd and placed pursuant to an undertaking to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission given under section 87B of the Trade Practices Act, 1974.

Of course. The Placebo effect, the power of suggestion, it's all very real stuff. But believing they'll work in the first place is not a particularly glowing endorsement of a person's intelligence. Then again, when you've got the money, might as well spend it.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Looking through the gallery, he's not the only one!
    I saw a lot of wristwatches, and maybe LRT had one as well but it was difficult to tell. Jack's was the only one that definitely looked like power balance.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Well, I don't know about the first sentence, but agree with the second. Maybe more like the fan rituals (to sing or not sing the song before the game, etc.) and how we think they influence the outcome of the game. They don't change the outcome but they change our enjoyment/engagement level. A wristband (or any amount of positive thinking) won't make Kizza better, stronger, faster, but the fact he bought it (especially given his reputation for being "careful" with his cash) means he's focussed on being better, stronger, faster, so no harm either.

If he wears the wristband and believes in it so much he stops training, let's see how effective it is...
    Superman still wears Brett Kirk Pyjamas

Veterans List
    Of course. The Placebo effect, the power of suggestion, it's all very real stuff. But believing they'll work in the first place is not a particularly glowing endorsement of a person's intelligence. Then again, when you've got the money, might as well spend it.
    A friend of mine is a senior immunologist working with NASA and the Australian Antarctic Division and from what he's told me the placebo effect is remarkable. Not only that it works but that is can even work if you tell people that it's a placebo. Give people pills and tell them these are the real thing and these are placebos and both groups react as if the pills were all genuine. So, in the case of the Powerband, you could sell it to someone telling them that it does nothing and it will have the effect for which it's sold. That's just weird.

Of course. The Placebo effect, the power of suggestion, it's all very real stuff. But believing they'll work in the first place is not a particularly glowing endorsement of a person's intelligence.
    So what of the numerous people in competitions who have lucky socks, lucky undies, dress left-to-right, don't talk, do talk, get dressed at an exact time, and any number of other seemingly insignificant things that sportspeople do in the belief that it will in some way give them the edge? The belief that something works can give even the strongest mind a jolt, it has nothing to do with natural intelligence.
    10100111001 ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    They seem to be working OK for the Pommie cricketers!
    Only if the sun was reflecting off the bands into the Aussie bowlers eyes. Would explain some of the crap bowling I guess.
    Last edited by Big Al; 30th November 2010 at 04:13 PM.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by laughingnome View Post
    So what of the numerous people in competitions who have lucky socks, lucky undies, dress left-to-right, don't talk, do talk, get dressed at an exact time, and any number of other seemingly insignificant things that sportspeople do in the belief that it will in some way give them the edge? The belief that something works can give even the strongest mind a jolt, it has nothing to do with natural intelligence.
    Isn't that rather "I didn't do this and lost" rather than "If I do this, I'll win"? The same reason that superstition says you don't carry bananas on fishing vessels.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast