Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Preseason training

Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    Isn't that rather "I didn't do this and lost" rather than "If I do this, I'll win"? The same reason that superstition says you don't carry bananas on fishing vessels.
    Very viscious those sea monkeys.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Bas View Post
    Very viscious those sea monkeys.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Isn't that rather "I didn't do this and lost" rather than "If I do this, I'll win"? The same reason that superstition says you don't carry bananas on fishing vessels.
    I dunno. I keep thinking "if I only buy a jackpot lottery ticket after it reaches $3m then I'll win". Stupid superstition.....doesn't work.
    Last edited by Primmy; 24th December 2010 at 06:08 AM.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

A friend of mine is a senior immunologist working with NASA and the Australian Antarctic Division and from what he's told me the placebo effect is remarkable. Not only that it works but that is can even work if you tell people that it's a placebo. Give people pills and tell them these are the real thing and these are placebos and both groups react as if the pills were all genuine. So, in the case of the Powerband, you could sell it to someone telling them that it does nothing and it will have the effect for which it's sold. That's just weird.
    I suppose that if you are expecting to experience the placebo effect, you will....

Quote Originally Posted by laughingnome View Post
    So what of the numerous people in competitions who have lucky socks, lucky undies, dress left-to-right, don't talk, do talk, get dressed at an exact time, and any number of other seemingly insignificant things that sportspeople do in the belief that it will in some way give them the edge? The belief that something works can give even the strongest mind a jolt, it has nothing to do with natural intelligence.
    What of them? There is a big difference between doing something out of superstition and paying $70 for dodgy sports science with no basis. If somebody happened to have a lucky Power Balance band, and they wore it for luck, then good on them, but most wear it because they genuinely believe it gives them greater core strength, when every single double-blind test has shown that it makes absolutely no difference.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

My point is that none of these devices (including powerbands) are shown to have any noticeable effect on performance, yet people are ready to line up and say they feel and perform better with them. That the powerband cast money and the others were free doesn't enter the equation; it's still all in the mind as to it's effect. If someone grabbed Ed Barlow in his time at Sydney and said "Hey kid, this thing helps prevent physical injury and pain, guaranteed!" and Barlow swallowed it, I would have no problem if it helped him bore into the packs instead of sitting off them. I have no objection to anyone thinking something does them benefit when physical science says it won't (provided it doesn't hurt them). At the end of the day, it's their money and they can spend it how they wish.

And even in the face of science, I'll bet anything that at least once on the 4th-5th days of the 1st Test each Australian Bowler had the thought cross their minds that the English Batsmen were wearing powerbands. I'm not prepared to discount it's use as a psychological weapon given the memory's trick of exacerbating certain responses.
    Last edited by laughingnome; 1st December 2010 at 12:19 AM.
    10100111001 ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    I dunno. I keep thinking "if I only by a jackpot lottery ticket after it reaches $3m then I'll win". Stupid superstition.....doesn't work.
    I have the same problem/addiction i'm afraid...

I think it's bad luck to be superstitious. Luckily I'm not, knock wood.

Veteran Site Admin
    My point is that none of these devices (including powerbands) are shown to have any noticeable effect on performance, yet people are ready to line up and say they feel and perform better with them.
    But if none of these devices are shown to have any noticeable effect on performance, surely that means that even a psychological effect is merely an illusion.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    But if none of these devices are shown to have any noticeable effect on performance, surely that means that even a psychological effect is merely an illusion.
    We can take it further and say all life is just an illusion. An object only exists because we believe it does. In other words, we create our own reality and are directly responsible for what happens to us. Focus on the negative and you will attract negative. That is why visualisation (on it's own) of winning money for example never works.

Don't you love footy holidays!

BTW Does anyone know a link saying which scholarship players have been released by the Club.
    Last edited by Bas; 1st December 2010 at 10:15 AM.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

My point is that none of these devices (including powerbands) are shown to have any noticeable effect on performance, yet people are ready to line up and say they feel and perform better with them. That the powerband cast money and the others were free doesn't enter the equation; it's still all in the mind as to it's effect. If someone grabbed Ed Barlow in his time at Sydney and said "Hey kid, this thing helps prevent physical injury and pain, guaranteed!" and Barlow swallowed it, I would have no problem if it helped him bore into the packs instead of sitting off them. I have no objection to anyone thinking something does them benefit when physical science says it won't (provided it doesn't hurt them). At the end of the day, it's their money and they can spend it how they wish.

And even in the face of science, I'll bet anything that at least once on the 4th-5th days of the 1st Test each Australian Bowler had the thought cross their minds that the English Batsmen were wearing powerbands. I'm not prepared to discount it's use as a psychological weapon given the memory's trick of exacerbating certain responses.
    Yes, and my point is that if Barlow was to believe that "the holograms respond positively to the body's natural energy" (as they claim), then he's an idiot. Superstition is fine, nobody tries to justify those with science, but Powerband do, and people fall for it. It's bad.

As I said, if somebody had a "lucky" Powerband that they wore simply out of superstition, fine, but it's believing that they are a legitimate scientific piece of equipment that is the idiotic part.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Quote Originally Posted by Bas View Post
    We can take it further and say all life is just an illusion. An object only exists because we believe it does. In other words, we create our own reality and are directly responsible for what happens to us. Focus on the negative and you will attract negative. That is why visualisation (on it's own) of winning money for example never works.

Don't you love footy holidays!
    I've walked into a philosophy class.......everything is atoms andspace and our thoughts...and the sound they make when they fallin the forest....WOW
    "The Dog days are over, The Dog days are gone" Florence and the Machine

Latest Pre-Season Photos

O.M.G.

Is it just me, or has the running on the dunes bulked up our boys' thighs???

Goodness gracious. There are muscles that have muscles.

That'll keep me going for the holidays!!
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast