Thread: Horse article in paper..........re Carey and Horse

Horse article in paper..........re Carey and Horse

Did anyone get chance to read the SMH or Tele today ??? where the Nth Melb talent scout convinced the Swans to receive $30k in exchange for Carey and Horse to go to North at 19 years of age ??

unbelievable !
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

What is this I don't even

Go Swans Always
    I thought it was an ok article but I am really looking forward to the beginning of the season and Longmire in charge. I think he will be good and will have a slightly different plan - his own and he seems keen to bring his own ideas.
    Love those Swans

Regular in the Side
    Red and white till I die

The common question seems to be whether The Horse will deviate from Roos' style. The reality is that things are changing so fast in the AFL that he has to review our game plan every year and evolve something new. Just look at the evolution of the game recently - Sydney's tempo Footy superceded by rolling zones and Geelong's lightning ball movement which was negated by Hawthorn's box which was then overtaken by Collingwood's flanking and forward defensive structures. To stay still is to go backwards.

Was listening to Al Clarkson on SEN recently and he was saying that Hawthorn stuck with the box too long and they only realised halfway through last year that their gameplan had been superseded.

What will 2011 bring...?
    He had observed that people who did lie were, on the whole, more resourceful and ambitious and successful than people who did not lie.

Pretty poor "Horse" trading. Not to be too hard on the Swans of 1980s, but we were crap.

Sheedy nicknamed Roos the "Sundance Kid" eh. Gee that stuck.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    It is very educational watching all those interviews with the players about the pre-season. Two statements are common in most of them: Brett Meredith is looking good and that John Longmire has been encouraging the players to spread from the stoppages quickly. This is one area where we were convincingly beaten by teams like Collingwood, Melbourne and Geelong who spread quicker than us and had our midfield looking slow and ragged. So we know of at least one area where he's looking to improve upon.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    It is very educational watching all those interviews with the players about the pre-season. Two statements are common in most of them: Brett Meredith is looking good and that John Longmire has been encouraging the players to spread from the stoppages quickly.
    And also that Malceski is looking great too.

I think our rebound from HB generally works best when both Malceski and Kennelly are playing that role. (Sadly, injuries mean we've not seen as much of this as I'd have liked.) But I also kinda think that Malceski is wasted down there, because he is such a good decision maker and daring kick. If he really has upped his fitness base as much as is being suggested, maybe he becomes part of the run and spread midfield too. We just need someone else to step into the HB rebound role and do it as well as Malceski does.

Quote Originally Posted by Legs Akimbo View Post
    The common question seems to be whether The Horse will deviate from Roos' style. The reality is that things are changing so fast in the AFL that he has to review our game plan every year and evolve something new. Just look at the evolution of the game recently - Sydney's tempo Footy superceded by rolling zones and Geelong's lightning ball movement which was negated by Hawthorn's box which was then overtaken by Collingwood's flanking and forward defensive structures. To stay still is to go backwards.

Was listening to Al Clarkson on SEN recently and he was saying that Hawthorn stuck with the box too long and they only realised halfway through last year that their gameplan had been superseded.

What will 2011 bring...?
    So right the game is so developed today & the increasing influence of speed is a major factor to be taken into account. Lumbering ruckmen & forwards are a thing of the past & quick mobile big men & sensationally quick out runners are essential in the developing game. Training drills are designed to squeeze as much skill at speed as possible. Collingwood's game is reasonably simple & not new but novel in the modern age. Malthouse uses the flanks to open up the game & centre corridor especially for his forwards, by using the flanks you create inside run. norm Smith was a great proponent of this type of footy & Jeans used it on occasion but Malthouse is the only one to constantly use it in this era. Mind you Collingwood have the talls to be able to make this type of footy a reality not all teams have as many dominant talls as them.

hhhmmm

I actually thought Collingwood was one of the most direct corridor teams all season..........I say this in respect to any other team besides Geelong............they absolutely flooded the corridor and caused turnovers via numbers around the ball...........by flooding so tight around the ball and creating pressure upfield they needed to play the free player in defence to cut off any opposition simply kicking over the top ie away from the pack.

the antidote to flooding is quick counter attack ie only 2 or 3 passes the length of the field but we saw Maxwell be the absolute gun he is by being able to cut this off and snuff out a quick break away.

I think we should not under estimate how difficult it is to flood while keeping a loose man in defence..............the decision making and coaching was first class to have one less man around the ball upfield yet still dominate field position upfield.
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 4th January 2011 at 09:38 AM.
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post
    Pretty poor "Horse" trading. Not to be too hard on the Swans of 1980s, but we were crap.
    For those that lived through the Swan's 80's, the decade was an an obscenity, in terms of recruiting, list management, bull@@@@ quotient.
    The only thing you can say in favour of that period was that NSW talent did make it to the big league. Whereas it's gone nowhere for almost the last decade.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.