Thread: Indigenous footballers

pr. dim-melb; m not f

Indigenous footballers

Interesting comments from Adam. And surprising to see the W C Eagles are rated as the best at accommodating aboriginal players; I would have expected the Bombers might get the nod.
    www.theage.com.au - Goodes eyes off change
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

It would probably be good for everyone if one or two Indigenous footballers made their way on to the major commentary teams at some point soon.

Even though there are more Indigenous players than ever before (playing different roles in different positions), commentators still seem to descriptively lump them together. More often than not it is pointless (and relatively harmless) - but sometimes it really makes you cringe.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty10 View Post
    ... Even though there are more Indigenous players than ever before (playing different roles in different positions), commentators still seem to descriptively lump them together. More often than not it is pointless (and relatively harmless) - but sometimes it really makes you cringe.
    You wouldn't be referring to their "silky skills" or "freakish talent" would you?
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Say if you are born in Footscray and play for the Bulldogs, does that classify you as indigenous of that land? Does being born to a family who has been selling at the Footscray markets for 3 generations classify you as being such?

Well I'll keep pondering that and working out a mathematical formula for why fluff collects in your belly button, whilst I wait for the season proper to begin.

Did you know that fluff in your belly button whilst in the southerm hemisphere, will place itself in a anti-clockwise direction?
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.