Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Media predictions.

Blog Entries
    From Sydney Swans Facebook.

Kieren Jack hurt his right ankle early Friday night, played out the game but was on crutches later and up all night icing it. He'll have an MRI tomorrow to tell the extent of the injury but it's likely Kizza will miss this week at least. Bradshaw is running and hopes to get back playing in the near future - the medical staff still list him as "indefinite'' so we can't say exactly when.

Veteran Site Admin
    I see that the Record doesn't rate us either.

From Saturday's edition, in a discussion on how the draw (and especially fixtures against GC) might affect team's chances of qualifying for finals:

"The genuine finals contenders facing the Suns twice in 2011 - Geelong, Hawthorn, Adelaide, Melbourne and the Bulldogs - have...a significant advantage over other contenders such as Collingwood, Essendon, Fremantle and Carlton..."

So despite finishing 5th last year and playing credibly against the Dogs in the SF, we're not even a finals contender this year? Yet Adelaide are? Mind you, they've also omitted the Saints who, despite their slow start to the year, only an idiot would count out as finals contenders at this stage.

we will finisht 4th
    Now this is a thread that i would expect on the ego -centric, wank session that is redandwhiteonline.com...
    MAD
    Pushin Limits

On the Rookie List
    I don't know what our odds were but on the Final Siren tonight (ONE HD), the Swans are the big shorteners on making the top 4. We're now showing $5.
    Run2Live,Live2Run

I think we've shown that we can cover most holes left by injury, as the season wears on it will take it's toll on all clubs and Hawks and Carlton could fall over if they were to lose one or 2 players. One might expect Cats and Pies to be ok with a few ijuries
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    ...snip... Mind you, they've also omitted the Saints who, despite their slow start to the year, only an idiot would count out as finals contenders at this stage.
    How about now, one month on? 6 points out of the 8 with half a season gone ... and at least 5 percentage points behind the worst in the 8 (Freo). I think I might go out on a limb here and say that perhaps the media got this one right. The Saints will get nowhere this year ... and I for one cannot say that this makes me unhappy.

We do have our admirers in the media (and even among Pies fans).

Rohan,
    what are your thoughts on the Swans? I think they are the best run club in the AFL. Never any controversy, great culture, consistency. As a Collingwood man, I feel the Swans don't get the accolades they deserve.
    AC

Hi AC,
    They certainly don't. Almost become a standing joke how we underrate them, on and off the field. You're right about the admin., they've had a wonderful capacity to keep their issues in-house, and they're football dept. has been brilliant, most notably with its selective recruiting. It's a club that attracts, not repels, prospective recruits now because they know they'll be well-coached, and very well looked after in a lifestyle sense.
    Read more: Live blog with Rohan Connolly from noon Thursday
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Let's have a look at our remaining sked and see where we can finish:

Round 14: Collingwood, ANZ - Always extremely tough. Still the best side in the AFL I think. Good to finish within 5 goals of this mob with our inefficient scoring. Result: L
    Round 15: Adelaide, AS - Broke our hoodoo down there. Their forward line is more inconsistent than ours. Could be a danger game, but I trust our boys. Result: W
    Round 16: Gold Coast Suns, MS - They've been playing better as of late, and Gazza will carve us up again, but the Swans play the right brand of game to beat these kids over four quarters. Result: W
    Round 17: Fremantle, SCG - Fremantle are woeful when they travel. Hopefully by this stage, Mummy has found form in the reserves. Can bottle it up and not let their runners like Stephen Hill and Hayden Ballantyne create. Result: W
    Round 18: Western Bulldogs, SCG - Dogs are woeful this year. We had them earlier. Can't see why not here. On a side note, hated the fans' treatment of Barry Hall against Hawthorn. Don't know about you guys, but I still love the man. Amicable break-up with the club. Should be welcomed back with open arms when he retires. Result: W
    Round 19: Bye. Good time to have a bye as we head into the last month before finals.
    Round 20: Essendon, ES - We never play well at Etihad, but the Bombers have finally come back down to earth after their Hirdymoon. Extremely overrated list and a game we must win heading into the finals. Result: W
    Round 21: Richmond, MCG - Back-to-back games in Melbourne scare me, as does the pace and execution of the Tigers' midfield, especially Dusty, Trent, Lids and Nahas. Having said that, we could have hung 20+ goals on them in the rain. I'm confident. Result: W
    Round 22: St. Kilda, ANZ - Another danger game, but if the Saints are eliminated from finals by the time we play them, their kids will come in. Kids who are that underdeveloped it's an embarrassment to St. Kilda's football department. Let's crush these jokers. Result: W
    Round 23: Geelong, SS - They don't lose down there and we don't win down there. Simple, really. Would love to be optimistic, but optimism about playing Geelong at Skilled Stadium is stupidity at it's finest. Result: L
    Round 24: Brisbane Lions, SCG - Win. Result: W

So from that, we can go 8-2 the second half of the year, which will put us 15-6-1. Dogs finished 4th last year with 14 wins, so top 4 is possible. Hawthorn look the shakiest in the top 4, but that's just because the other three are rock-solid. Can see us finishing 5th again and making the Semis this year. If so, I'd prefer to play Carlton or Hawthorn. I think we can beat both if we are playing good football. Swans can control the centre against the Hawks with no solid ruckmen and if it's Carlton, they'll have lost their 3rd consecutive finals match under Brett Ratten. This means they'll be desperate but also very likely to be jittery. Our defense actually played them well at Etihad, it was just poor umpiring decisions and letting them run too easily out of the back half.

End of the day, confident we can finish high up the ladder, giving more experience to Reid, Jetts, Benny, JK, Kieren, Alex and all the young boys.

Senior Player
    Friday Night SEN.

Matt lloyd, Huddo, Dermot and Mark Robinson were asked who would drop out of the Top 8 next year (figuring the ladder was set pre round).

All 4 said Sydney.

Swans supporters rang in, and said everyone always writes us off, bla bla, they all agreed.... One guy rang up and said that Sydney would beat the Cats, Lloyd took his bet...

BAM!

Quote Originally Posted by magic.merkin View Post
    Friday Night SEN.

Matt lloyd, Huddo, Dermot and Mark Robinson were asked who would drop out of the Top 8 next year (figuring the ladder was set pre round).

All 4 said Sydney.

Swans supporters rang in, and said everyone always writes us off, bla bla, they all agreed.... One guy rang up and said that Sydney would beat the Cats, Lloyd took his bet...

BAM!
    You just have to marvel at their idiocy sometimes. The swans will play finals again next year and everyone will have egg all over their faces... again.

Veteran Site Admin
    This one is too funny... an assessment of who is on the cusp for selection this weekend and who might be facing the chop...apparently Nick Smith's place is in danger...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1226041482103

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    This one is too funny... an assessment of who is on the cusp for selection this weekend and who might be facing the chop...apparently Nick Smith's place is in danger...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1226041482103
    Also cited in the "Changes for next round" thread. Ignorant beyond belief, three of our best due for the chop!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast