Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Official Round 1 Thread - Pre-match & post-match discussion

Almost Football Legend

Official Round 1 Thread - Pre-match & post-match discussion

A new season is here, and a full round of matches will open the 2011 season.

If any fixture changes take place, please post in this thread. Also any match-day information and pre-match banter goes here. And after the game, this thread is to cover post-mortems - who is doing well, who is struggling and why.

This weekend's fixtures :

Saturday 2nd April

Gore Hill Oval
    10:00am - Under 18s Premier - North Shore v Illawarra
    12:00pm - First Division - North Shore v Illawarra
    2:10pm - Premier Division - North Shore v Illawarra

Picken Oval
    8:30am - Third Division - Wests v Southern Power
    10:30am - First Division - Wests v Southern Power
    12:30pm - Under 18s Premier - Wests v St George
    2:30pm - Premier Division - Wests v St George

Trumper Park
    8:30am - cancelled
    10:30am - Third Division - UTS v UNSW-ES
    12:30pm - First Division - UTS v UNSW-ES
    2:30pm - Premier Division - UTS v UNSW-ES

Bruce Purser Reserve
    10:00am - Under 18s Challenge - East Coast v Moorebank
    12:00pm - Under 18s Premier - East Coast v Sydney Uni
    2:00pm - Third Division - East Coast v Sydney Uni
    4:00pm - First Division - East Coast v Sydney Uni
    6:30pm - Premier Division - East Coast v Sydney Uni

Macquarie University Oval
    10:30am - Under 18s Challenge - Mac Uni Warriors v Mac Uni Kookas
    12:30pm - Third Division - Macquarie Uni v Campbelltown
    2:30pm - Under 18s Premier - Pennant Hills v Penrith
    4:30pm - First Division - Pennant Hills v Macquarie Uni
    6:30pm - Premier Division - Pennant Hills v Balmain

Bensons Lane
    12:00pm - Fourth Division - NorWest v UNSW-ES
    2:10pm - Second Division - NorWest v Sydney Uni

Monarch Oval
    12:00pm - Fourth Division - Penrith v Moorebank
    2:10pm - Second Division - Penrith v Moorebank

Harrington Oval
    12:00pm - Fifth Division - Camden v Manly-Warringah
    2:10pm - Second Division - Camden v Manly-Warringah

Mahoney Park
    12:00pm - Fourth Division - Auburn v Manly-Warringah
    2:10pm - Second Division - Auburn v St George

Gipps Rd Oval
    8:30am - Under 18s Challenge - Holroyd-Parramatta v Manly-Warringah
    10:30am - Fifth Division - Holroyd-Parramatta v Saints AFC
    12:30pm - Fourth Division - Holroyd-Parramatta v Macquarie Uni
    2:30pm - Second Division - Holroyd-Parramatta v Balmain

Riverview First Field
    10:00am - Under 18s Premier - St Ignatius Riverview v UNSW-ES

Pioneers Park
    2:00pm - Third Division - Saints AFC v North Shore

Sunday 3rd April
    Macquarie University Oval
    12:00pm - Fifth Division - Macquarie Uni v Moorebank
    2:00pm - cancelled

Gwawley Oval
    10:30am - Under 18s Challenge - Southern Power v Balmain
    12:30pm - Fifth Division - Southern Power v Sydney Uni

BYE - Campbelltown (Premier Division), Manly-Warringah (First Division), Campbelltown (Under 18s Challenge). UTS (Fourth Division).
    Last edited by Norris Lurker; 29th March 2011 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Fixture changes

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

Almost Football Legend
    BOM is reporting the weekend's weather forecast:

Friday 1 April
    Partly cloudy.
    Min 15
    Max 24
    Partly cloudy. Light winds tending north to northeasterly up to 20 km/h during the afternoon.

Saturday 2 April
    Possible morning shower.
    Min 16
    Max 24
    The chance of showers during the morning. Mostly sunny afternoon. Light winds tending southeast to southwesterly up to 30 km/h during the morning.

Sunday 3 April
    Mostly sunny.
    Min 17
    Max 24
    Mostly sunny. Light winds.

Fixture change - Pennant Hills out of Third Division. North Shore have the bye.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Norris Lurker View Post
    BOM is reporting the weekend's weather forecast:

Friday 1 April
    Partly cloudy.
    Min 15
    Max 24
    Partly cloudy. Light winds tending north to northeasterly up to 20 km/h during the afternoon.

Saturday 2 April
    Possible morning shower.
    Min 16
    Max 24
    The chance of showers during the morning. Mostly sunny afternoon. Light winds tending southeast to southwesterly up to 30 km/h during the morning.

Sunday 3 April
    Mostly sunny.
    Min 17
    Max 24
    Mostly sunny. Light winds.

Fixture change - Pennant Hills out of Third Division. North Shore have the bye.
    Penrith v Moorebank at Monarch as Greygums is out of action.

Almost Football Legend
    Thanks Tara.

Saints AFC have been promoted to Third Division to take Pennant Hills' place. Their first match will be v North Shore at Pioneers Park. With their promotion, UTS in Fourth Division now has the bye.

St George on the climb with Wests on the slide. Funy thing as to what giving young blokes a go can do. Sure they will struggle and drop games but promise is there

Almost Football Legend
    We've had our opening round. If your team had a first up win, congratulations and it's always a positive feeling to get the season off to a good start. And if you got beaten, there's still a long way to go this season and plenty of time for your team to lift.
    If you've been playing, officiating or attending any games, what were your thoughts? Did anyone surprise you by being better than you expected or not as good? Any players stand out?
    Tell us your thoughts. If you played a blinder, give yourself a wrap.

Almost Football Legend
    A cracker of a game to open the season at Bruce Purser, a game that involved several momentum swings and was in the balance until the final siren; with a one-out marking contest at the edge of the square in the final seconds. But it was Sydney Uni who took the points, getting some degree of revenge for last year's grand final. Will write up more for this week's RWO report.
    North Shore too good for Illawarra - are the Bombers flying under the radar, or are the Lions likely to struggle again?
    UTS given a tough Premier Division initiation by UNSW-ES - a Bulldogs' resurgence, or is the gap between divisions really that big?

I don't know what was more satisfying - the seniors beating the Eagles by a couple with Dougy kicking a handful or our third grade side doing the heroes from Nor-West. It's a toss up.

Quote Originally Posted by The Student View Post
    I don't know what was more satisfying - the seniors beating the Eagles by a couple with Dougy kicking a handful or our third grade side doing the heroes from Nor-West. It's a toss up.
    Student, do US a favour and take the jumper off your i.d and choose another one so you can represent yourself only. If you keep up your trash talk I expect you wont be playing footy anywhere if indeed you still are.

Pekay and others, don't take the bait from this troll who is representing no one but himself. I actually think he's probably associated to a different club than the students as most of his comments could only give that club a bad reputation for having such a vocal jerk in their midst.

Good luck to all for the rest of the season, especially the Jets. Looks like it was an interesting round one - as they say no flags are won in April, very long way to go for all.

UTS given a tough Premier Division initiation by UNSW-ES - a Bulldogs' resurgence, or is the gap between divisions really that big?
    A bit of both I'd imagine. UTS seem to run their club very much on a VAFA model. The strict no payments policy is great for club morale etc but they will find it harder to get the top players given what is being thrown around elsewhere. Sydney Uni don't pay I believe but they have their scholarship system that allows them to target players and top up their list (e.g. Egan and Dugmore).

Good luck to them though, you can only admire what they have achieved in such a short space of time so they must be doing something right.

Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
    Student, do US a favour and take the jumper off your i.d and choose another one so you can represent yourself only. If you keep up your trash talk I expect you wont be playing footy anywhere if indeed you still are.

Pekay and others, don't take the bait from this troll who is representing no one but himself. I actually think he's probably associated to a different club than the students as most of his comments could only give that club a bad reputation for having such a vocal jerk in their midst.

Good luck to all for the rest of the season, especially the Jets. Looks like it was an interesting round one - as they say no flags are won in April, very long way to go for all.
    Fighting words indeed

You're obviously associated with the Jets, good luck for the season, you're a good bunch of blokes who have fought a tough fight out there for years.

It's hardly trash talking just a bit of banter really. You need a thicker skin methinks.....

It was a tough day at the office, no doubt about it. But we have learned a few lessons from the game. UNSW played pretty well, can't say what they will acheive this year, but congrats to them for yesterday. We've got a few key players making their way into the team for next week, so hopefully we will have an improved performance against Balmain.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast