Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Round 3: Sydney Swans Reserves v Belconnen Magpies (incl start time clarification)

Qt swans 4.3.27 Belconnen 0.0.0. Pouring down. Centre bounces being taken outside the circle. LRT kicks off the ground for the first major in the 2nd.

HT swans 8.6.54 to Belconnen 2.4.16. LRT, Meredith and Moore with 2 the scorers in that qrt. Pike with 3 goals and Parker are the other scorers.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Go mighty Mike!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Pyke could definitely play forward for us. His kicking must've improved a lot and his hands have always been safe.

Another cakewalk. The Ressies 15 goals up. What's happened to the Canberra/NEAFL this year?
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    FT Swans 20.18 138 Belco 4.5 29 Pyke Haren Parker 3 Moore Meredith TDL Murphy 2 Seaby Kennelly LRT

My best: Moore Pyke Gordon McNeil Parker Johnston

Report later when i get home or tomorrow if I don't dry in time

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    FT Swans 20.18 138 Belco 4.5 29 Pyke Haren Parker 3 Moore Meredith TDL Murphy 2 Seaby Kennelly LRT

My best: Moore Pyke Gordon McNeil Parker Johnston

Report later when i get home or tomorrow if I don't dry in time
    Didn't really notice McNeil much, and though Parker was a bit scrappy at times - including missing one sitter of a set shot. Didn't really notice Johnston much either, but to be fair, the ball didn't spend much time in Sydney's defence. I thought Lamb was very good in the first half but faded as the game went on. Agree that Moore and Pyke were very good, and Gordon was the standout in the midfield.

I am really not a fan of the approach Longmire is taking to our rucks in the senior team. Mumford has been tremendous with the amount of work he has shouldered but can't help thinking we'd get even more out of him if he got more of a chop out than he is currently getting. I so wish they'd bring Pyke into the team (and while I really feel for Seaby, Pyke has been better than him in both the two last reserves games I've watched). Mumford kicked two goals today, Pyke four - surely both are capable of having an impact if they rest in the forward line? Pyke is just several classes above the ACTAFL now - he moves around the ground as if he's been playing the game all his life. Sure, he missed a few shots at goal today (including one he really should have kicked) but his 4th was a shot from 55m out off one step that might not have spun perfectly through the air but split the posts in two. His hands are soft and smart at ruck contests and he is taking pack contested marks. He also created at least two goals today with very smart play. Get him in the team, Longmire!!!!

I found TDL's game interesting to watch. He was very well guarded by whoever was playing on him, and not allowed an inch of space. He was rarely able to gain any distance on leads and most of his marking attempts were therefore spoiled quite easily. I imagine the coaching staff would have been delighted that he was given such a hard time. His workrate might not have been all it could have been in the first half, but he worked his way into things, and landed up with a couple of goals in the end through some clever play.

Haren also showed some glimpses of great agility and skill for such a big man. I know you're already a big fan Ugg, and while I still don't think he'll play seniors this year, he is definitely looking like a bit of a find. Suddenly, with Reid, two Johnnos, White and now Haren, we're suddenly looking quite well placed for young, raw, developing talls.

Just addressing your points quickly, will into more detail later.

• McNeil - Agree it wasn't his best game, possessions wise but I liked his endeavour, his tackling and competitive nature in the wet. He also has very quick hands in close, blink and you would miss it.
    • Parker - very hot early, especially in the first quarter when the match was still up for grabs. His combination with Pyke at the boundary throw-ins were great to watch. Definitely not as prominent in the 2nd half but I thought he did enough to be in the best 6.
    • Johnston - True the ball didn't spend much time in our defensive half but for most of the game they were using that forward press which meant the defenders like LJ were pushed up the ground. I marked him highly on his spoiling, bodywork and tackling - areas of his game which I haven't been very impressed with thus far. I really couldn't find anyone else for the 6th position here, I'll go through my reasons for those players later.
    • Pyke/Seaby - Belconnen lost their regular ruckman Matt Porter for this game, and the two replacements didn't seem keen to contest many of the ruck contests giving free rein to Pyke and Seaby to do what they wanted uncontested.
    • TDL - Kept dropping a lot of marks, not easy ones mind you, but ones you've come to expect to fall into his sticky hands. I put it down to rustiness rather than to close checking but to be honest I wasn't really watching what Belco were doing. He finished strongly though but won't have done enough to push his way through for Round 6.
    • Lamb - I saw his game the other way round, thought he struggled early but finished very strongly especially in the last quarter
    • Haren - spent a lot of time on the bench early on and really only came into it in the 2nd half when LRT was taken off for good. Kind of like a sub I guess. I thought he struggled a bit today in the wet but one of his goals was a beautiful snap around the corner from quite some distance out.

BTW Pyke kicked 3, they gave poor LRT's goal kicked off the deck to him in the 2nd quarter.

Also, it seems like they've eased up on the restriction of listed players on the field at one time. I counted 14 at the start of the game, one more than the usual 13 allowed
    Last edited by ugg; 17th April 2011 at 12:47 AM.

McNeill had to deal with a very hard tag most of the game (Belco #1), so not surprised he was not as prominent as normal.

I thought Pyke was just fantastic and he is demanding to be selected in the seniors. They really need to find a spot for him and restructure the forward line, as well as giving Mummy a well earned backup.

It was actually my first look at Parker given he didn't play in the GWS game. I like.

I'm a bit with Liz on Lamb, thought his first half was pretty good, chasing and spending a good bit of time in the midfield getting dirty.

I thought LJ was a bit less prominent than previous games.

No doubt that by having this core group of toppies who play each week instead of just picking up randoms from week to week, we look a much more organised outfit. And there is barely a spud amongst them, they are all capable.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Pyke kicked 4.

God love em. They played soooooooooooooo well.
    What a nail biter ... N.O.T.
    I think we should bring them all in (and the super-sub) to play against Carlton.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Was LRT injured again ?

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Was LRT injured again ?
    No I think he said in the halftime interview that it was planned that he would only play the first half. (it was hard to hear)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast