Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 3: Sydney Swans Reserves v Belconnen Magpies (incl start time clarification)

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

Round 3: Sydney Swans Reserves v Belconnen Magpies (incl start time clarification)

NEAFL (Eastern Conference) Round 3
    Sydney Swans Reserves v Belconnen Magpies
    Saturday 16th April 2011 3.40pm
    Sydney Cricket Ground

A visit from the Belconnen Magpies is usually one of the fixtures to look out for on the Reserves' schedule. They have been one of the powerhouses in the old AFL Canberra competition winning premierships in 2002-2004 and 2009. However, judging by the early results (including pre-season) in 2011, this match may not live up to some of the great battles of past seasons.

Belconnen surprisingly missed out on the finals in 2010, and subsequently relinquished their title to Ainslie. Injuries cruelled their chances for most of the year, in particular their star tall forward Andrew Ainger who had led the competition goalkicking with 86 in 2009. Ainger has since left for the brighter lights of the SANFL, while the departure of other dominant senior players such as Griffin Underwood (QAFL), Josh Jennings (coaching at Traralgon) and James Bennett can partly explain their drop off so far this year.

Eastern Conference Ladder
    TeamPlayedWinsLossesDrawsByesPointsForAgainstPercentage
    Queanbeyan11000416946367.39%
    Reserves1100048333251.52%
    GWS11000410968160.29%
    Ainslie1010006810962.39%
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  
    Eastlake101000338339.76%
    Belconnen1010004616927.22%
    Tuggeranong000010000.00%
    Past Meetings
    R1 Reserves 20.8 (128) defeated Belconnen 9.12 (66) @ Sydney Cricket Ground

The Reserves were impressive in thrashing the defending premiers in Round 1. That victory halted a shocking record of 8 losses in 9 games against the Magpies. Sam Reid kicked 5, while Campbell Heath, Nick Smith and Matthew O'Dwyer were amongst the best Swans players that day.

R6 Belconnen 8.6 (54) defeated by Reserves 18.9 (117) @ Manuka Oval

The Reserves led from start to finish, and their performance was hailed by coach Frosty McPherson as their best performance in 2 years. Trent Dennis-Lane finished with 7 majors at the end of the game, while Sam Reid was named BOG after a impressive stint in defence. He was ably supported by Matthew O'Dwyer and Dylan McNeil.

R11 Belconnen 11.7 (73) defeated by Reserves 14.13 (97) @ Manuka Oval

The Reserves continued their much improved away form by easily accounting for the Magpies. They led by 44 points at the last change before a string of injuries allowed Belconnen to close the gap to a respectable 24 point margin. Gary Rohan bounced back from his dropping with 3 goals while Lewis Johnston, Ted Richards and Brett Meredith pushed their claims for senior selection with impressive games.

R18 Belconnen 15.15 (105) defeated Reserves 11.7 (73) @ Manuka Oval

A depleted squad of just 10 listed players battled hard in the first half but were eventually vanquished by a hungry Magpie lineup who had to win to keep their slim finals chances alive. Campbell Heath impressed in an unusual role forward kicking 3 goals and being named BOG. Dylan McNeil had yet another sterling game in the midfield while Matthew O'Dwyer provided much-needed drive from the half-bank flank.

Recent Form
    Reserves
    WIN Eastlake 83-33

Belconnen
    LOSS Tuggeranong 46-169

Last Round
    Reserves 12.11 (83) defeated Eastlake 4.9 (33)
    In damp and cold conditions, the Reserves were slow out of the blocks being kept goalless in the first quarter. However with another rev-up from coach Playfair still ringing in their ears, they put in a much improved effort for the rest of the game, cruising to a big win by kicking 12 of the next 14 goals. Trent Dennis-Lane made the most of his chances, kicking 3 quick goals in a little spurt in the 2nd quarter. Top-up player Kane Murphy's lively performance across the forward-line netted him BOG honours with midfielders Nathan Gordon and Dylan McNeil also starring in the win.

Queanbeyan 26.13 (169) defeated Belconnen 7.4 (46)
    The Tigers were dominant in all 4 quarters, opening up a 53 point half time lead and pushing the margin to a whopping 123 points by the end of the game. Star forward James Kavanagh dominated with 7 majors.

Team List
    Listed players
    #NameGamesGoalsVotesNotes
    1Mark SEABY100 
    7Brett MEREDITH100 
    8Trent DENNIS-LANE130 
    10Daniel CURRIE111 
    11Jed LAMB100 
    17Tadhg KENNELLY100 
    23Lewis JOHNSTON100 
    26Luke PARKER100Senior emergency
    28Dylan McNEIL104 
    30Lewis ROBERTS-THOMSON000 
    33Jarred MOORE110 
    36Chris McKAIGUE102 
    38Mike PYKE000Senior emergency
    43Eugene KRUGER100 
    45Nathan GORDON105 
    46Ben HAREN120 
    Changes
    In: Roberts-Thomson (calf), Pyke (non playing senior emergency)
    Out: Byron Sumner (senior emergency/injured?), Max Otten (rested/injured?)

I'm not sure for the exact reasons for the omissions of Otten and Sumner. One guess might be that there were enough listed players available and in order to give everyone enough playing time (due to the restriction of 13 listed players on the field at the same time), they'd rather rest 2 than play all 18. Before we jump to any conclusions, note that Luke Parker was named an emergency 2 weeks ago and didn't play in the curtain-raiser. This may be Sumner's fate this week.

The Pyke and Seaby duo is a ruck division that most AFL teams would be proud of, and they have a handy backup in Daniel Currie should they require him. McNeil, Parker, Meredith and Gordon should be prepared for a lot of red leather coming their way at the ruck contests. Lewis Johnston, LRT, Kennelly and McKaigue should man the fortress down back, with TDL, Currie, Haren, Moore and Lamb forming a potent looking forward line.

Academy Players/Topups
    #NameGamesGoalsVotesNotes
    47Jackson POTTER100 
    48Blake GUTHRIE120 
    49Nathan KENNY000 
    50James BRAIN100 
    51Jack LYNCH100 
    52Mitch THOMPSON000 
    53Kane MURPHY126BOG last week
    54Tim WALES100 

In: Kenny, Thompson
    Out: Mitch May, Teddy Strudwick

It's nice to see a core group of topups playing from week-to-week. It will help with the stability of the side and assist the chances of the Reserves winning games.

Reserves leading goalkickers

• Trent Dennis-Lane 3
    • Ben Haren, Blake Guthrie, Kane Murphy 2

For full list: 2011 Leading goalkickers - RWOwiki

Reserves leading votegetters

• Kane Murphy 6
    • Nathan Gordon 5
    • Dylan McNeil 4

For full list: 2011 Best votes - RWOwiki

Talking points

• LRT - Half a game 3 weeks ago and his calf pulled up sore. How will he fare this week?
    • Kennelly - With the bye next week, it will be his last chance to work on his match fitness for 2 weeks. Expect him to play close to the full game.
    • Parker - close to senior selection and wouldn't be a bad candidate for the substitute position either. He missed the GWS game so I'm keen to see how he fares in this one
    • TDL - 3 goals in limited time against Eastlake last week. TDL has been playing further up the ground in an attempt to enhance his prospects of senior selection. With only 3 on the interchange bench now, players who can play multiple positions are seen as more valuable.

Belconnen
    3 to be omitted

• 1. Matthew Byatt
    • 2. Stephen Coate
    • 3. Daniel Jordan
    • 5. Lachlan Harper
    • 6. Daniel Lock
    • 7. Jordan Harper
    • 8. Paul Raadts
    • 9. Matthew Hammond
    • 11. Alexander Bennett (capt)
    • 13. Jye Bohm
    • 14. Malcolm Douglas
    • 15. Andrew Dess
    • 24. Rhys Mcalister
    • 28. Samuel Rutland
    • 29. Simon Curtis
    • 31. Thomas Alexander
    • 32. Christopher Mcdevitt
    • 33. Christopher York
    • 34. Reuben Towill
    • 37. John Love
    • 38. Luke Donohue
    • 39. Brendan Dess
    • 40. Oliver Tweeddale
    • 41. Joss Whitford
    • 43. Nick Collins
    • 44. Pat Delaney
    • 46. Ryan Turnbull

In: Coate, Lock, Mcdevitt, Towill, Dess, Whitford, Collins
    Out: David Mcphan, Matthew Porter

Summary
    Belconnen have picked a bad week to play the Reserves as it will be one of the strongest sides we will field in recent years. We have 3 players with a Premiership medal (Seaby, Kennelly and LRT), 6 players with AFL finals experience (+TDL, +Moore, +Pyke) and 7 players who have tasted senior AFL football (+Meredith). Given the beating that they received at the hands of Queanbeyan last week, it is hard to see them travelling up to the SCG and toppling such a strong Reserves side. Their saving grace may be the predicted wet weather which in all likelihood will lessen the final margin.
    Last edited by ugg; 28th April 2011 at 04:02 PM.

Blog Entries
    Outstanding Ugg!!

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Outstanding Ugg!!
    +1.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Thanks Ugg...Your efforts are appreciated mate.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

I'll name my next three kids after you!!!!!.

Problem is I have to find a partner of birth rearing age first and.........................I wouldn't hold your breath.

Excellent effort as always and will be there to watch the game tomorrow.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Veteran Site Admin
    Wonderful preview, as always Ugg.

Do the reserves also have a bye next weekend?

Thanks Ugg I will also be there for the first time to watch the resies. When I lived in Adelaide I followed the Bays & always went to the resies as well as the main game. I am looking forward to seeing the young blokes go round, especially Kane Murphy because you guys have given him such a good rap. By the way a great job Ugg.

My nephew is a scratching for tomorrow to attend a wedding (he is not happy).

As a result, I won't be keeping and supplying the stats, it's just too big a job for one and it takes away the enjoyment of the game, not to mention what you miss when you glance down at your book to mark another handball.

But it means I can do special comments throughout on Twitter. ugg cannot be beat for his play by play coverage, but I'll play the Tom Harley/Luke Darcy role....
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Wonderful preview, as always Ugg.

Do the reserves also have a bye next weekend?
    Yes they also have the bye and from memory the seniors' bye in round 19? also coincides with the reserves' bye

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    My nephew is a scratching for tomorrow to attend a wedding (he is not happy).

As a result, I won't be keeping and supplying the stats, it's just too big a job for one and it takes away the enjoyment of the game, not to mention what you miss when you glance down at your book to mark another handball.

But it means I can do special comments throughout on Twitter. ugg cannot be beat for his play by play coverage, but I'll play the Tom Harley/Luke Darcy role....
    Shame about the stats. By all means please join in the twitter conversation. This applies to everyone. It sometimes feels like I'm talking to myself. It's hard to respond during the game but during the breaks would be okay

Good to see Wales as a toppie again as that is where Prince William is at this moment doing some military training and as he is having his wedding on our only Friday night game...we may as well stick to the Royalist theme
    "The Dog days are over, The Dog days are gone" Florence and the Machine

Blog Entries
    I have moved. I am an Eastlake man now. Boo the Magpies, Boo!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast