Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New TV deal

Veteran Site Admin
    One of the best things about watching games on Foxtel is that you don't get the ad breaks every time a goal is scored. So it is a shame if we are to lose that for simulcast games. But getting to see the Brownlow live in NSW would be good.

Blog Entries
    When Fox Footy Channel was first released all those years ago, I already had Foxtel and they made me pay an extra $8 per month for the channel. I am suggesting that those that already have Foxtel will be slugged more, those that don't yet have Foxtel will be presented with changed subscription charges for the various packages. Nobody, gives nothing, for nothing. Especially not business. Ask the AFL who pays more ... the corporates or Joe blow and his Missus in the outer ... Guess where most of the Grand Final tickets go.

Expect to pay. It can't get worse.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Who was Number 1???

In my mind Clinton was the best caller in the game.
    I don't recall Grybas' calling as much as his hosting. He was head and shoulders the best footy host going around.

Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post
    Surely Dennis C is the best caller.
    Dennis is good except when he is paired with Special Bruce. He seems to get a bit saccharine in those games.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I don't recall Grybas' calling as much as his hosting. He was head and shoulders the best footy host going around.
    Did a lot of radio and from memory called a 1 Foxtel game each week. Along with his hosting he had it all in my view.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Agree, though to be fair to Dennis, "Delicious" McAvaney is beyond a joke these days.

Rohan Connolly called him out the other day in a piece arguing that viewers may as well pay for footy because of the circus that Ch 7 has descend to.

Topped off with some of the most self-absorbed "commentary" a football broadcast has ever delivered, to the point where Bruce McAvaney actually stopped mid-call during a passage of play to observe: "Gee, we're being a bit self-indulgent, aren't we?" Yes, Bruce, you certainly were.
    Football on TV, you get what you pay for
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

My only interest is the 4 free to air games on 7
    Are they pre selected?
    Selected by channel 7 at their whim?

There will possibly be even more Collingwood supporters in teh next 10 years if they continue to get the vast majority of their games televised FTA.
    Already they are pretty much set for the next 30 odd years with all of the exposure they get.
    It's one big snowball.
    Their games are televised at every given opportunity because they rate, because they have so much support.
    Thei gives them exposure the millions of kids, who then decide to support Collingwood.
    Then it's even more important for the networks to show their games.

The long term effects of this? (as well as the same kind of exposure to other teams but to a lesser degree)
    Will be interesting to see in the long term.
    I'd suggest that the AFL is much like our universe.
    In 10 to 20 years it will stop expanding and start contracting.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Does the new AFL agreement mean we don't get FTA?

AFL looks to me as having sold us out. 4 FTA a week to Seven (pity help us), and that means Sydney will not get anything knowing how Seven run their business. Its just not fair.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Looks like they will have 4 live games per week on 7 Mate. Not holding my breath waiting for them to broadcast in HD, but it's a start. And I have foxtel anyway, so I'm covered for the 5 games that aren't on FTA, which should keep wifey happy at least.

177th Senior AFL Match - Round 4, 2009 - Sydney vs Carlton, SCG. This is obviously out of date. I suppose I'll update it once I could be bothered sitting down with the fixture and working it out....
    Des' Weblog

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Primmy we get 4 games on FTA currently anyway, and not all of them live. According to afl.com.au all 4 games on 7 MATE will be live so it looks like a step up.

So that's probably: Fri night, Sat afternoon, Sat night and Sun afternoon. And one of the other key points is that all "local" teams will be shown FTA (though it might be FTA taking the Foxtel coverage). So for NSW/ACT that would be Sydney and GWS.

177th Senior AFL Match - Round 4, 2009 - Sydney vs Carlton, SCG. This is obviously out of date. I suppose I'll update it once I could be bothered sitting down with the fixture and working it out....
    Des' Weblog

NSW/QLD got the best deal out of everyone (well apart from the AFL itself I guess ) live coverage for all FTA games is more than every other state or territory gets. Foxtel is looking amazing for the $60 price tag. For basic + sport

New TV deal

HATE IT! Less than 50% games free-to-air? Living in SA I can wipe off 1-2 of those freebies as Crows or Port games too.

Better coverage Mr Fitzpatrick & Mr Dometriou? unless we fork out mega $ for Fox or move to Sydney (and I don't think the latter gives me a lot more free games) I don't think the supporters have done too well out of this deal.

Given the yearly increased cost of electricity, gas, water, insurance, petrol etc subscribing to Fox to watch footy seems a little steep. And even radio isn't much good here, as getting Swans games broadcast here in SA is near impossible unless we play either of the Adelaide teams.

Anyone got a job for me in Sydney?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast