Thread: Ressies and the VFL

Ressies and the VFL

With round 1 of the Foxtel cup nearly finished the results prove once again the huge gap in standard between the VFL and other State based competitions. I know its been mentioned before but I cant help thinking the Swans would benefit hugely from having the Ressies play in the VFL. They would also have plenty of support playing in Melbourne too.

Northern Bullants 19.9.123 GWS 5.4.34
    Williamstown 8.7.55 Swan Districts 2.6.18 I watched this game and Willy dominated more than the scores show.

The introduction of the academies into the NSW region should lift the standard by a fair margin in a few years, as well as the opportunity to play 3 other AFL reserve sides. Until then though we'll just have to make do with what we have, it would be logistically and financially frustrating for all those involved if we were to play the ressies in the VFL.

Couldn't be any more expensive than flying to the Territory or Queensland. With the price of airfares to melb at the moment its probably cheaper than the bus to Rooty hill. The introduction of the Academies will have absolutely no effect on the standard of the reserves comp in the forseeable future.
    The lack of competition for the Ressies is a big big problem. For example do you really believe Jesse White will turn into a Star FF playing against midgets. He kicks 10 without moving from the goalsquare, hows that help him improve. Jed Lamb and Alex Parker would develop far far quicker playing VFL each week and so would LJ and it may yet make a player out of Vez. The gap in standard between the AFL and the NEAFL is way to big and its hurting us a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by ABloodsMan View Post
    The introduction of the academies into the NSW region should lift the standard by a fair margin in a few years, as well as the opportunity to play 3 other AFL reserve sides.
    Given the monstering the GC seniors are getting nearly every week, imagine what a pasting the ressies of GC & GWS will be getting! we'd nearly be better off playing the GC & GWS seniors for a year or two! Ok that's taking it a little too far

Honestly, I don't think the gap is THAT big. Yes, there's definitely a considerable gap, but look at that scoreline between the Bullants and GWS. GWS appear to be, in the context of the Canberra comp, a good-but-not-absolutely-dominant side. They're a pretty reasonable reflection of the Canberra competition. Now, when teams are truly, TRULY outclassed, different levels altogether, they don't score 34 points. They'd be lucky to score 10. Just have a look at some of the scores from the recent AFL world cup.

The Canberra competition obviously isn't as strong as we'd like it to be, but I think people are overstating the impact playing VFL footy would have. Playing as our own reserves team has a lot of advantages which go some way to making up for the poorer standard; firstly, all the coaching comes from within the club, meaning instructions, the roles each player plays, their TOG, all are tailored exactly to the coaching staff's desires; secondly, Academy players and promising local talent are able to get a consistent run as top-ups; and travel is cheaper, meaning more money for other areas.

In the end, the club have agreed to the current set-up for a reason.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Quote Originally Posted by BSA5 View Post
    In the end, the club have agreed to the current set-up for a reason.
    Are we playing in the NEAFL/ Canberra comp because the club wants to or is the real reason because the AFL wants us to ? If we wanted to play VFL i'd be surprised if the AFL would approve it anyway. Its hard to see how the Ressies get any real benefit from flogging teams by 10 goals each week.

Quote Originally Posted by BSA5 View Post
    The Canberra competition obviously isn't as strong as we'd like it to be, but I think people are overstating the impact playing VFL footy would have. Playing as our own reserves team has a lot of advantages which go some way to making up for the poorer standard; firstly, all the coaching comes from within the club, meaning instructions, the roles each player plays, their TOG, all are tailored exactly to the coaching staff's desires; secondly, Academy players and promising local talent are able to get a consistent run as top-ups; and travel is cheaper, meaning more money for other areas.
    I we fielded a "Stand alone" team there is no reason why all the above mentioned things couldn't still happen but the results would be better and our debutants may find the transition a lot easier. I find it hard to believe the costs would be significantly more expensive than what we have now.

Senior Player
    Ainslie got slaughtered by West Adelaide, but their main forward going down in the first quarter arguably blew that result out a bit.

Also don't forget East Perth did knock off North Ballarat, and the Swan Districts side which won last year contained Andrew Krakouer, who got something like 45 possessions and the key goals to win them their premiership. Swans are 2-4 this year. And East Perth are 1-5.

Perhaps Claremont, who are 5-1, have the better shot.

I can see a strong case for us playing in Melbourne, but let's not get carried away with the VFL being so much stronger than all the other leagues. It's more that Canberra and Sydney are just weak. Even in the Queensland league, the Brisbane reserves (and now GC) don't have it all their own way.

There's also drawbacks to the Melbourne option, though. It would result in either a lot more travel, or in the kids having to be based partially in Melbourne. It would surely hurt development, currently we get all those top-up kids a run, which can only do them good. There's also the cost issue - a standalone VFL side costs a hefty license fee, that's why only Geelong and Collingwood do it.

I'd say it's better to hope the NEAFL gets stronger. More games against competitive Queensland sides could be an option. But even then, we don't win every game - Ainslie are capable of taking us down on their day, as are Eastlake and maybe even Queanbeyan.
    Last edited by R-1; 7th May 2011 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    I we fielded a "Stand alone" team there is no reason why all the above mentioned things couldn't still happen but the results would be better and our debutants may find the transition a lot easier. I find it hard to believe the costs would be significantly more expensive than what we have now.
    There is no way we'd be able to afford to field a stand alone side in the VFL. It would be VFL-affiliate or nothing.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    So I knew we had discussed this a lot in the past so did a bit of a search to see my various absurd thoughts... and found this visionary post!

I agree that individuals in the magoos would likely develop more quickly in the VFL, but I think that boat has sailed for at least the next 5 years. We need to play out the NEAFL to see how it builds and how the level of competition builds.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    So I knew we had discussed this a lot in the past so did a bit of a search to see my various absurd thoughts... and found this visionary post!
    Wow! Send me this week's lotto numbers thanks.

aardvark I don't think you've given full thought on what it would take to run a standalone VFL club. It's not just the monetary cost, although that would be a lot more substantial than just travelling costs. A standalone team won't just be a team where our reserves will play, it has to be a fully fledged team in its own right with it's own staff, marketing department, football personnel, members etc. Instead of topups we would have to recruit, sign and maintain a permanent squad of VFL-standard footballers. Running 2 clubs in different states just sounds like a logistical nightmare to me.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the only 2 clubs with standalone teams in the VFL are two of the biggest - Collingwood and Geelong

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Wow! Send me this week's lotto numbers thanks.

aardvark I don't think you've given full thought on what it would take to run a standalone VFL club. It's not just the monetary cost, although that would be a lot more substantial than just travelling costs. A standalone team won't just be a team where our reserves will play, it has to be a fully fledged team in its own right with it's own staff, marketing department, football personnel, members etc. Instead of topups we would have to recruit, sign and maintain a permanent squad of VFL-standard footballers. Running 2 clubs in different states just sounds like a logistical nightmare to me.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the only 2 clubs with standalone teams in the VFL are two of the biggest - Collingwood and Geelong
    Yes Ugg you are probably right. Having the Ressies play in the VFL would have a huge upside though. If it was the difference between us challenging for a premiership or not would it be worth the trouble and the cost ?